Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 4

First 2000km and first green lane report - 10,000km update
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
elemental

Switzerland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4
First 2000km and first green lane report - 10,000km update

My HSE arrived around 6 weeks ago after waiting 6 months for it. We've now covered 2000km and experienced the first green lane, so it's time for a status report.
1) Have had no problems with the car whatsoever (crosses all fingers and toes and hopes not to have jinxed anything)
2) Fuel consumption better than expected. 10.5l/100km indicated, real consumption is 11.5l/100km
3) SWMBO loves it, despite being a bit of a green
4) Both kids' seats (for 2y and 6 months) and granny fit in the second row
5) Easy to park, sensors and rear camera are great.
6) Down a simple heavily overgrown forest track, it was wonderful. I went OTT and tried ruts, low and raised... just permagrin
7) Boot is massive
8) Bournville I'm not convinced about yet, but you don't notice the colour when it's dirty, and I haven't cleaned it yet.
9) Sunroofs are nice, but if the little one is in the middle, he gets blinded a bit despite the sunshade.
10) Goes like stink. Can't believe this is such a big lump of metal when the motor hits its powerband.
11) Auto lights and wipers, heated seats, disabled seatbelt bong, DAB and memory seats make for a happy cabin.
12) Even the EPB works nicely (fingers crossed etc)

Niggles:
1) There is no key, so you might as well order keyless entry, otherwise you have to dig the fob out just to unlock and then it disappears back into whence it came. Didn't realise this before it arrived.
2) It's easy to knock the memory seats buttons on exiting, which, depending on your seat settings, might fold you into a funny shape.
3) The stupid tray in the middle cubby box is stupid, but is at least easiiy discarded.
4) I don't get to drive it much

All in all, worth every penny and well worth the wait.
Click image to enlarge

UPDATE: 5000km
1) Went on LR Experience last week and drove a brand new, identical to mine D4 HSE all day in stuff I couldn't imagine driving in. Backing up a 80 degree slope and sitting there, looking forward out of the sunroof was amazing. To get back down: release everything, feet off, let HDC do it. Incredible. Shocked
2) Even more amazing was that the FFRR and RRS were absolutely just as capable as the D4 and Defender on the terrain we were driving (steep gravel, sand) Thumbs Up
3) Got to thrash a RRS TDV8 around a tarmac course and skidpan. Great fun, great engine, but didn't feel like I was missing out on much with my TDV6. Guy there who has a RRS TDV8 got to drive a supercharged and now he wants one though... 8)
4) Still absolutely no problems with mine, no bongs, beeps or warnings. Very Happy
5) Averaging 10.1l/100km (ca. 30mpg) mixed use. Whistle
6) Washed mine the first time ever coming home from LRE event. Embarrassed by kiddie graffiti in filth on mine Embarassed
7) Had 7 people in it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. People in 3rd row were impressed by space. No effect on driving with the extra weight.
8 ) Getting used to colour now, but there was a bronze one at the LRE day that looked fanstastic in the sun.
9) Now have iPod permanently living in cubby box. Stupid thing is though that the track listing doesn't move as the tunes progress, so you have to manually scroll down to the song playing to see what is coming next.
10) Phone is now paired and works great, even voice dialling. BUT, if an entry in your phone has more than one number ie Wife work, wife mobile, you can't select the entry and choose between the alternative numbers. Stupid.
11) Have to fit winter tyres soon and this is going to be expensive - 5 19" winter tyres could be around 1000 pounds.

So apart from a couple of trivial moon on a stick niggles, totally blown away by the D4 and a very happy camper.

10,000km update see below
 using arm rest more than rear diff 

Last edited by elemental on 25th Jan 2011 12:28 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #6581928th Jun 2010 8:19 pm
cte

Wales 

Elemental - I've just come back from a week long caravanning holiday in ours which has now done 3000 miles. Agree with your comments, it;s a tremendous vehicle with overtaking capability in a different world to the D3 ( with or without caravan on back).
Carwyn

Post #6582038th Jun 2010 8:44 pm
elemental

carwyn: funny you should say that.. I'm now considering a caravan to take full advantage of this car's ability (and to get to drive it more).
Post #6582308th Jun 2010 9:41 pm
DIONYS33

France 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Hello

Thank you Elemental for your first impressions ...

I just learnt that my D4 is delayed untill september (instaed end june as scheduled ...) so
your comments help to wait ... Specially when you appreciate almost everything in the car !!!

It confirms our choice !!

Thank you again !
 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE nara bronze
BMW 530XD touring
VOLVO XC 70 185 cv
VOLVO XC 70 163 cv
VOLVO 850 D5
VOLVO 850 2,5 16 v
VOLVO 240 GL SW 

Post #6583239th Jun 2010 7:48 am
mattkwak

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

I've taken mine off road now a couple of times and it performs as expected there but with so much more comfort than I could imagine. Having driven many 110 LR in the past it's a refreshing change!

The road experience is great, especially the parking ability. Having the camera and sensors makes parking a big vehicle as easy as any other then!

Post #6583259th Jun 2010 7:51 am
elemental

Dionys: be patient... it really is worth the stupidly long wait (and LR probably know it)
matt: I've never so much as accidently driven on a grass verge in a car in my life, so stomping down this forest trail, however tame, was a rush. can't imagine anything else so supreme (done a lot of dirt biking though, and whilst more funny, can also be more painful:)
Post #65895210th Jun 2010 2:22 pm
elemental

Update added!
Post #69381117th Sep 2010 9:16 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

My phone appears on display and if there is more than one number stored in the phone for one person (wife home, work and mobile) I can scrol through and select the one I want. It also shows, wife mobile, wife home wife work Thumbs Up Phone is a HTC Desire if that helps.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #69394217th Sep 2010 4:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DaveC

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Stupid thing is though that the track listing doesn't move as the tunes progress, so you have to manually scroll down to the song playing to see what is coming next

agree, this bugs me too! plus I use USB for music and it can't do playlists which is a pain! Rolling Eyes
 XC90 T8 R Design Pro

MY14 D4 HSE Lux (sadly gone)
Mariana Black with Ivory interior and lots of toys! 

Post #69394917th Sep 2010 4:26 pm
DIONYS33

France 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

To Elemental

Thank you for the update. Very happy to read all your comments .
Consumption seems low, around 10 l ...
My D4 hse (nara bronze) is due to arrive in 1 or 2 weeks after 3 months of additional delay (order signed 21st april) !

but it is worth waiting, from what I read everywhere !
 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE nara bronze
BMW 530XD touring
VOLVO XC 70 185 cv
VOLVO XC 70 163 cv
VOLVO 850 D5
VOLVO 850 2,5 16 v
VOLVO 240 GL SW 

Post #69397617th Sep 2010 5:22 pm
elemental

Russell wrote:
Phone is a HTC Desire if that helps.

Ah, might be a phone thing then. I have a cheap and nasty Nokia. Wife has an HTC too. She is too lazy to hook it up when she gets in though Rolling Eyes even though I set it up for her. No gratitude. Very Happy
Post #69480220th Sep 2010 11:22 am
elemental

DIONYS33 wrote:

Consumption seems low, around 10 l ...
My D4 hse (nara bronze) is due to arrive

Nara Bronze looks brilliant DIONYS33! I thought it would be too 'brown' but it just looks fantastic in sunlight. You will love it. hang in there. At dealer LRE event they said there was a huge shortage of 3.0 TDV6 engines (18,000 'missing')!!! Order taken now will be delivered in February he says (this is Switzerland, may not be the case elsewhere).

Fuel consumption is definitely slowly improving as time goes by. Using sport mode for the mountains and overtaking seems to help.
Post #69480420th Sep 2010 11:27 am
elemental

10,000km update:

Still very happy, no issues*, fuel consumption currently at indicated 9.8l/100km. Regularly fits under an indicated 1.9m height restriction in locked access mode. Does not fit in normal height mode.... Embarassed .
Occasional use with all 7 seats great. Three kiddie seats across middle row no problem, except for access to rear row. One handed flipping of side middle row seat for access to rear possible if no kiddie seat fitted, just need to do two things: fold back forward using shoulder catch and then lift base forward using long lever under seat. Boot enormous: fits green waste wheelie bin lengthwise, large kiddie buggy fits in without folding!
Very comfortable once you have found and let the car memorize your settings.
Superb feel to the vehicle in bad snow/ice conditions, with winter tyres fitted. All in including winter prep cost nearly 2 grand though. Shocked

*Apart from
1) Sporadic Bluetooth function - been working fine for a couple of months now. But takes a while to see phone if you make phone visible after starting vehicle.
2) Lumbar support now non-functional - maybe connector under seat has been kicked - need to check.
3) I had to adjust and tighten one wiper arm after snowy period. I didn't use the wiper to clear the screen but seems a little resistance from snow residue/ice loosens the nut enough for the arm to drop and catch under a lip under bottom edge of screen. Since careful tightening now fine.
Post #75195025th Jan 2011 12:27 pm
addicted to nurburgring

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

2) Lumbar support now non-functional - maybe connector under seat has been kicked - need to check.
.[/quote]

This is a known issue, the Lumbar support motor is weak and the fuse that is linked to the lumbar support motor can cut our all the electrics on the drivers door and ICE system.

LR have updated/upgraded the Lumbar support motor to avoid future failures.
 Current:
2014 RRS 3.0 HSE
Porsche 997 GT3
BMW 118d SE
Past:
D4 HSE 3.0 TDV6 Auto
D3 HSE 2.7 TDV6 Auto 

Post #75480631st Jan 2011 9:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >