Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

My First Disco (I Hope) - Need Some Help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Last week my D3 did 32 mpg towing a small (750kg) trailer over a 600 mile journey (according to the lieometer on the dash) and that was at about 60mph on mostly motorway and dual carriageway.

The one thing to bear in mind is that I did NOT use cruise control as I find this quite severely impacts the economy.

Enjoy your new car when you get and post some photos! Thumbs Up
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #21509052nd Jun 2020 7:23 am
Bane11

Wow, that's a good result with towing. Thanks for chiming in

Post #21509092nd Jun 2020 7:49 am
Bulatovic

Yugoslavia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

so a bit more persuasion is in order then Very Happy

would you be able to live with a V W written on the steering wheel? yeah, i thought so Very Happy

joking aside, we're talking 11-15 year old cars here now, and even the best made ones have their quirks.
I personally know Vuk from Likos, the guv'nor, who drives a D3 with 300,000km on the clock and to paraphrase - he'll keep it running until the car can't take no more. New engine if need be, new box, everything. It's an amazing car, but most importantly it's had it's time throwing new unknown issues - aftermarket scene is superb and you can get pretty much anything for it, plus a lot of unfortunate ones used for parts should that be an option.
You can of course maintain the car in Likos, that's what i do, guys are friendly, with experience and will get the job done.
From my last invoice which was gearbox oil change, engine oil and filters change (i supplied these bits) and compressor installation i get that they charge roughly 25GBP per hour (3200rsd), and the sundries are quite cheap - i'd say no pricier than running a VW Golf.
For instance installing the new AMK compressor in place of a Hitachi was charged EUR 100.
So, yeah, until big complicated things like gearbox or engine decide to die you can have everything done by them. Gearbox either local specialized repair shops (or my second option if additives don't work) ZF Tausch - factory rebuilt exchange gearbox for roughly 2000 eur.
There is also a few more service guys around Belgrade -Nine - good reputable service, charging pretty penny and changing everything in their path, Bugi - apparently ok, smaller local service, no experience and Kozarac dealing with government/police defenders with good reputation and higher prices.

All in all, if you are determined to have a car that you can sit in with your family and forget about it - well... then it's a Skoda or something as boring (that being said, mine did overheat 4 times at 40,000km due to failed water pump. Yes, the iconic 2.0TDI that's being made in millions has its flaws as well.. - so i'd say that there are no fully dependable cars out there).

I'd say if you can get some pile on the side to keep for maintaining the brute, go for it, you won't look back!
It's not as bad as it seems Very Happy

Post #21509362nd Jun 2020 9:50 am
Bane11

Damn, you're killing me Smile I owe you a beer for sure.

That VW steering wheel thing, in this case glorifyingly called an ornament, is an issue, I admit Smile

Joking aside, I'm not a big fan of VW and whenever I thought about them, it was always in terms of temporary transportation that would be easy to sell afterward (you know how popular they are here). However, they had a few fun steps into the luxury niche (bad company move, though) at the time with the likes of the Phaeton and that Touareg. I've driven two TRegs, one a mess, the other perfect, bright leather and wood interior in near mint condition - really looked lovely and felt the same to drive. Not fast, you know, but serene and controlled. That one was the pre-FL 3.0 though. It's built on the same platform as the Cayenne and, scared to say that here, but has some nice off-road chops, low range, auto and manually locking centre diff as standard, optional rear and front diff locks, optional air suspension that lifts it up to 300mm and very, very short overhangs. It's really not just for show. Not that I will need as much, but if I'm buying a proper SUV, I don't want no damn Haldex. Also, a nice bonus for the 2.5 TReg, although not essential, is the registration price here, as I suppose you know.

All this being said, I STILL WANT THE DISCOOO! Smile This TReg is just an admittedly nice (for that budget) backup plan as there are far more to choose from and it does tick most boxes (the boot is noticeably smaller, although not really small).

As for the 2.0 TDI - bummer. And on such low mileage. That engine has had its share of flaws and the version before 2008 is best avoided (sure, some will say Bosch makes all good, but the issues were not just about Siemens).

Honestly, this is what I do every day. If you need info on a car, engine, gearbox... feel free to let me know.

Could you tell me how much the service cost at Likos? I mean the regular A service, oil, filters, labour, what goes...

If it comes to that, I have a guy for the gearbox in Babe, a small village near Bg. Sounds like a scrap yard, but it is actually a very reputable auto gearbox business, just in an unlikely location. Plus, the gearbox is a 6HP. There are many around.

PS That last pic is a nice persuasion tool Smile

Post #21509552nd Jun 2020 10:44 am
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Bulatovic wrote:

Shocked

From my last invoice which was gearbox oil change, engine oil and filters change (i supplied these bits) and compressor installation i get that they charge roughly 25GBP per hour (3200rsd)

£25 an hour labour rate - holy Censored !!!!!
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #21509562nd Jun 2020 10:49 am
Bulatovic

worth a tow to Belgrade to get the car worked on, huh? Very Happy

Post #21510082nd Jun 2020 2:12 pm
RATA1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

ianm27 wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Worked out how far away it was too...
 In today's world, if you contribute something, you don't contribute enough. If you contribute nothing, you receive everything.

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #21510172nd Jun 2020 2:56 pm
Bulatovic

Bane11 wrote:

Could you tell me how much the service cost at Likos? I mean the regular A service, oil, filters, labour, what goes...

as i said, the oil and filters are supplied by me (i am getting them at cost price, best man running an official wholesale for those stuff), so i was charged only labour. It was 3,278 rsd (cca 28 eur) for 1 hr of labour (what was charged for oil and filters). For gearbox oil i was charged 900rsd per liter of Ravenol 6HP (eur 7.6/l) and 0.7hrs for draining and refill of 5 litres.
The engine sundries come to roughly this:
engine air filter 12 eur
cabin air filter 20 eur
diesel filter 46 eur
oil filter 11 eur
oil shell ultra professional 5w30 (cca 10 eur per litre)
sump plug 7 eur
labour 28
total: eur 175. no pricier than it was for my Octavia TDI

compressor set me back some 550 eur,
as for struts/air bags - apparently these work well and are super cheap:
https://www.lrparts.net/rpd501090-rear-air...ery-3.html
https://www.lrparts.net/lrc1413-rnb501580-...anded.html

rubber bushes are also reasonable - 60ish eur for large ones, 20ish for small ones, and give or take 100 eur for labour to replace on front axle...

Tyres are also reasonable - i went with Bridgestone Dueler 001 A/T at eur 125 per corner.. 255/60r18...

the rest i have no experience, but will see Smile

hope this helps

Post #21510222nd Jun 2020 3:29 pm
Bulatovic

RATA1 wrote:
ianm27 wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Worked out how far away it was too...

yeah, but the experience of the guys charging 25 quid an hour is of a junior apprentice in the UK, so, not all that better... but for regular stuff it's great - way cheaper than trying to tackle it yourself

Post #21510232nd Jun 2020 3:34 pm
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Man-maths going to figure in this - has to be a good reason for a road trip to Belgrade Rolling with laughter
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #21510242nd Jun 2020 3:42 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It’s roughly 17 hours to drive from Calais, although it’s well worth stops Vienna and Bratislava 😂
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #21510372nd Jun 2020 4:23 pm
Bulatovic

ianm27 wrote:
Man-maths going to figure in this - has to be a good reason for a road trip to Belgrade Rolling with laughter

nigethecat wrote:

It’s roughly 17 hours to drive from Calais, although it’s well worth stops Vienna and Bratislava 😂

I smell a Disco party in Belgrade then! I'd be more than happy to be a guide Smile

Post #21510942nd Jun 2020 8:49 pm
Bane11

Well, damn, now I have to get one.

Post #21514134th Jun 2020 5:44 am
Duc750

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:
My D4 is 2013 EU5 8 speed. At a steady 70 it will return 30 mpg. Checked with fill to fill not on board computer.

I ran 2 x D3 previously, and they were a bit thirstier. Same situation would be about 25 mpg.

I'm framing this and showing it to the wife - My D3 V8 is doing 21-22mpg in the same situation which given the difference in fuel cost and no cambelts makes my man maths stack perfectly Laughing
 05 D3 V8 HSE, LR Passion tree bars, wildbear compressor guard, LRP switch panel, ARB rear locker + compressor, Trigger 6 shooter electrical system
12 RRS SDV6 HSE (Hers) - Gone and replaced with an I Pace - I can tell you now EV is not the future yet
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #21514574th Jun 2020 9:50 am
Bulatovic

Now you make me hate my country's idiotic tax scheme even more!
We pay by capacity - roughly it looks like this:
1,501- 2,000 cm³ - €350
2,001 - 2,500 cm³ - €650
2,501 - 3,000 cm³ - €1,000
3,001 - 3,500 cm³ - €1,500
Anything above is 2,000€+
If the car is more than 10 yrs old you get 30ish % less, but still no maths in running a V8. Even this 2.7 is severely pushing the sanity and reason limits...

So you have a guy who spent £60k+ on a brand new A45AMG with cca 400bhp and sub 2L engine paying half of what i pay for this old tractor with 2.7l engine and less than half his power.
Amazing, right?

Post #21514644th Jun 2020 10:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >