Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

First time camping
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

A tent that you can stand up in, decent air beds or self-inflating matresses, torches/lanterns, some comfy chairs, something to cook on and eat with and definitely a fridge of some description. I consider the latter an essential if camping with a young family. A three way fridge is useful as you can run it in the car when travelling and then use a gas bottle on site, which can then also be used for a cooker.

None of this needs to be particularly expensive, although if you're buying the whole lot from scratch then it'll soon add up. Definitely consider the sort of package deals offered by the likes of Halfords but also consider second hand too. Camping is one of those things that you tend to improve your kit as you get into it more but there's no need to go mad for the first time.

Try and think through all of the mundane day to day stuff to work out what you might need to make life easier. For example, sleeping arrangements and what to do when one of your kids needs the toilet in the middle of the night. When my kids were much younger we tended to sleep them one with each of us, which made bed times easier and avoided panic if one wakes. We also invested in a porta potty, which is the least glamorous item of camping kit but worth it's weight in gold when you really need it Smile

Camping is supposed to be fun - not a hair shirt to be worn as some sort of badge of honour. You need to be reasonably comfortable otherwise none of you will enjoy it and it'll be the last time you go.
 Darren

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #127321222nd Apr 2014 9:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

As has already been said get the biggest tent you can, as you can never have enough space.

Plus an electric hook up cable.
That way you can run a proper fridge and have proper light in the tent in the evening.
We also have a small electric fan heater, which makes all the difference to taking the chill out of the tent for the kids and SHMBO. You're paying to hook up regardless of how much electric you use.

One other real comfort myself and Mrs Nasher like is to make up a proper bed on the double blow up mattress, with sheets and a duvet.
Sleeping bags are OK for kids or for a couple of nights, but not for grown ups.

Its also nice to have a canopy over the front of the tent so you can open the front up in bad weather without the rain etc going straight in. We actually use both a front tunnel and canopy to create a dry outside cooking area and somewhere to sit outside under cover.

It's all about making the family comfortable enough to enjoy it rather than put up with it.

It's also far more fun with friends and other families, in their own tents of course, to add the social side in the evenings and keep the kids entertained.

You'll soon end up with a fully equipped mobile bungalow that's comfortable for a couple of weeks.
This is our set up on our annual trip to Devon with a group of friends.

Nasher.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #127356022nd Apr 2014 8:32 pm
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Oops
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #127356322nd Apr 2014 8:33 pm
Onejk

United Kingdom 

Wow

So much info! Got lots to go on there! Thank you everyone.

Has anyone ever stayed at shamba holiday park, near Bournemouth?

Thinking this may be good for first time with it having a pool etc

Post #127359122nd Apr 2014 8:57 pm
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

We had an Outwell before we got the tintent. Not the cheapest but the quality is spot on. Going to get another one soon Thumbs Up

One thing it would say though is if you have the space at home practice putting your tent up a couple of times. There's nothing worse than not being sure what to do on site for the first time.

Also don't be put off the first time if the weather is not up to it. Because when it is there nothing better Thumbs Up

Enjoy

Andy
 D4 MY15 SE TECH
D3 gone but never forgotten. 

Post #127360922nd Apr 2014 9:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
badgerade

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Onejk wrote:
Wow

So much info! Got lots to go on there! Thank you everyone.

Has anyone ever stayed at shamba holiday park, near Bournemouth?

Thinking this may be good for first time with it having a pool etc

We had a caravan parked there for 2 seasons. As an introduction to camping, I'd say you'd struggle to find many places better. Cleanest toilets/showers I have seen on any campsite, and the bar/clubhouse/pool are handy to keep the kids entertained. Also a small shop for any essentials.

The only downsides are that it gets cramped in the summer - pitches aren't massive for tents and when it's full you don't get the feeling of space that I like with other campsites.

Depends what you're after I guess.. Sandy Balls is just a bit further down the road which is similar but much bigger.

Personally, I much prefer the more back to basics sites with fewer rules and the ability to get a good fire going in the evening Thumbs Up

Post #127362422nd Apr 2014 9:37 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Make sure the first outing is a good one as you don't want to put the swmbo off for future outings. Look on ebay for aerobed inflatable mattresses, they are about as good as they come. Another worthwhile tip regarding very warm sleeping bags is to look at what anglers use such as Trakker or Nash 5 season bags, if you other half is cold on the first night she will have the raging hump with you the next day. With regards to cooking my next purchase will be a Cobb Supreme, so easy to use and small in size it makes sense when trying to get all your gear in the boot. Which ever tent you go for make sure you can put it up in under 30 mins, this is a must with British weather Thumbs Up
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #127363122nd Apr 2014 9:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >