Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

First time off-road
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Beaker

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
First time off-road

This weekend I had my first off-roading experience! Very Happy I took my new D3 on a 4x4 introductory course, and it was great! Most other participants thought it a bit weird that I took this new car off-road, but after seeing it work they were impressed anyway.

I must say that even after reading all the stories on this forum and getting advice from a number of members here, I was still surprised how easy it actually was with this car. Very Happy Just selecting the right TR program and HDC, switching off DSC and everything went smooth. Every time I thought I would get stuck, or could not make it to the top of a climb, a little bit more on the accelerator would immediately solve it! And the handling was amazing, even in mud and loose sand it still responds very nicely to any steering input.

There were a couple of minor things that I found very annoying though:
- The DSC setting would keep switching on after changing the TR program, or turning offf the engine. I was surprised a couple of times with this, not getting the expected response from the car, and switching off DSC immediately fixed it. At the end of the day I had developed this automatic reaction to check all the settings before attempting any task.

- All the 'pinging' from the seatbelts, PDC, key in ignition and what have you. We kept hopping in and out of the car and switching off the engine to assess situations and receive instructions, and all those pinging noises drove me crazy Smile

- After negotiating some mud (great! Laughing) I got a 'suspension rising slowly' message for some time, and heard some hissing noises from under the front-end of the car. Could not see anything wrong, and it went away after some time.

I really had a great day out with the D3 and I was soooo proud of it, taking any obstacle so easily and being the most beautiful car of the lot at the same time! Laughing
I must admit that the obstacles were probably not very difficult to the standards of most of the people on this forum, but for a newbie like me it was just great!

I don't have too many pics, but I'll try to put some in my gallery later.

And thanks to all the guys here that helped me out so far with all their advice!

The permagrin is renewed and stronger than ever Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.
Powered by  

Post #8473912th Sep 2006 10:12 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Beaker, glad you had a great time and demonstrated the Disco3's prowess to 'unbelievers' Thumbs Up
The DSC behaviour is normal, if slightly annoying Rolling Eyes
Some of the pinging could also be the PDC, my nine year old is now well practiced at switching off the PDC & DSC together with dialling in the correct TR mode and shifting the transfer box ratio Wink
The suspension raising slowly was probably due to the air receiver being empty and the system was waiting for the air supply to be replenished - were you 'demonstrating' the air suspension height change? Wink

I take it you've not disabled the seatbelt audible warning then? 8)

Post #8474312th Sep 2006 10:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Beaker

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I did not find the time to disable the seatbelt warning (9 times in and out within a minute, right?) but I will definitely do that before the next off-road trip. That may be a while though, not much off-roading around where I live... Sad

Re the suspension: mrs Beaker is not very tall, so I had to lower the car to access height everytime we had to stop and get out of the car. So it was used quite often that day. For valid reasons, and not to impress anyone, ofcourse Rolling Eyes Embarassed Embarassed But they were anyway Laughing 8)
So, the hissing noise is normal then? How long should it normally take to fill the air receiver?
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.