Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

First time towing abroad what do I need to know?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
sailorboi

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks all,

Had a quick look at ferries on the dates and looks to be about £700 for the disco with 'caravan' on the Plymouth to Roscoff ferry.

I was thinking Roscoff as to eliminate the amount of driving on the French side. We are hoping to go down to Brittany area.

So has anyone got any recommendations for campsites with all the facilities?
 07 Java Black TD V6 D3, EGRs Blanked, Tow bar, Full dog guard & divider, LED Spots , DRLs, GG ATs, RLD Sump guard, RLD Spare Wheel Protector, D4 LED Rear Lights, Limo tints on boot and Midnight tint on rear windows, Kenwood screen with Garmin nav, Rear cameras, D4 Steering wheel with flappy paddles, T-max split charge system, Tree sliders, Prospeed roof rack & Ladder, Alisport fast road inter cooler,

Massey Ferguson 35x
Sankey Narrow Track Camping Trailer (Gone but to a great home) 

Post #181445912th May 2017 11:44 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Can't help with camping, but we go 3 times a year Simon, Portsmouth ferry everytime , use to do tunnel, but like you were the wrong side of the U.K., so ferry wins Thumbs Up

No issues towing, I do it perhaps once a year uk to France and back, but have a trailer there too.

Crack on and enjoy

I'll text you too Thumbs Up
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #181446012th May 2017 11:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

If your are a member of the Caravan & Motor Home Club it's worth getting a quote from them for a Brittany Ferries crossing. I've always found them cheaper than buying direct from BF.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #181446313th May 2017 1:11 am
sailorboi

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Dan_NL wrote:
You need a sticker for the new environmental zones...

You can see if you [ euro x ] are alllowed in the day before, from 20h on, with a special app...

[url] https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/ [url]

Shocked

Censored[/url]

Thanks I knew about this one but my understanding is it is only in three areas atm (Paris, Lyon, Grenoble) so I won't need one as I am not planning on heading anywhere near them Thumbs Up

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-...ch-cities/

Also found this site which looks nice with beach onsite well site is on the beach Rolling with laughter :

http://www.camping-les-embruns.com/en/

Thinking we will get the Plymouth to Roscoff ferry, as we can stay in Plymouth, the site above we is only 2hrs ish from the port and seeing we are only managing to get away for 5 days we don't want to waste time driving.

Bit more research this weekend and then hopefully just book it and enjoy as so many have said Mr. Green
 07 Java Black TD V6 D3, EGRs Blanked, Tow bar, Full dog guard & divider, LED Spots , DRLs, GG ATs, RLD Sump guard, RLD Spare Wheel Protector, D4 LED Rear Lights, Limo tints on boot and Midnight tint on rear windows, Kenwood screen with Garmin nav, Rear cameras, D4 Steering wheel with flappy paddles, T-max split charge system, Tree sliders, Prospeed roof rack & Ladder, Alisport fast road inter cooler,

Massey Ferguson 35x
Sankey Narrow Track Camping Trailer (Gone but to a great home) 

Post #181446513th May 2017 1:17 am
ratrunner

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Being flashed

Big remember !! it nearly cost me big. If you are flashed by another motorist it does not mean I have seen you and its ok to complete your manouver in fact it means the opposite, it means get out of my way I am coming through regardless Confused

Post #181448613th May 2017 6:26 am
2Springers

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Bit late to this thread but I do the run down to the Spanish Border a lot and would recommend the tag for the tolls - saves hassle and time at the tolls - particularly if you travel in peak periods.

Just remember to check the bill - I always have errors on mine because they sometimes think i'm an HGV ...

Good luck and enjoy your trip Very Happy

Post #18235096th Jun 2017 9:26 pm
al cope

England 

We do Portsmaout Caen most years - its an easy run down to Portsmouth from the midlands, then an easy run either to Brittany or down to the Vendee. Will be at Le Moustoir near Carnac end July. Not tried this site before but there are quite a few good sites along the southern Brittany coast.

Theres a really nice (but busy) site right on the beach at Benodet we stayed at the year before last - just cant remember the bloody name of it. Saw one of the other chaps of the forum when shopping Thumbs Up

Camping & Caravanning club always have deals on crossing, think this year it was 'van was 1/2 price.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #18235657th Jun 2017 7:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
geoffsnook

Wales 

Been catching the same ferry for the last 15 years, the 12:30 out of Dunkirk on the 2nd Sunday in September, only time we see any gendarmes was about 4 years ago when they were dealing with a nasty accident on our side of the motorway and they were guiding the traffic round the remains of two cars while the ambulance staff tended the injured by the concrete crash barrier, unlike our police who would have shut the road for 12 hours![/quote]

Mine was Cherbourg but you are right i have done Dunkirk a few times and not seen any police unless the french fishermen are blocking the port Thumbs Up
 Discovery 3 se gone
Range rover sport supercharged here:) 

Post #18235837th Jun 2017 8:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >