Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

First time towing with D3. Advise pleae
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
al cope

England 

I've just tried that (leaving it in sport) on a relative short towing trip (135 miles), and it drank fuel (half a tank, the top half), so I recon on about 16mpg. It ran really nicely in sport, but in future I'm going to leave it in auto and let it do its own thing.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #9293328th May 2012 1:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ceekay

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Sport Question

Probably a stupid question but are you referring to a D4 or a D3 as I didnt know I had a sport Embarassed
 D4 HSE Lux MY16 Club Waitomo
D3 HSE MY06 missing her still… 

Post #9293448th May 2012 1:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
al cope

England 

sport mode on the auto box, both D3 and D4 have this function.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #9293548th May 2012 1:53 pm
Ceekay

Gone on then Al for any thicko's like me how do you switch to sport mode on the auto box Embarassed

Post #9293638th May 2012 2:09 pm
Thelo3

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Ceekay wrote:
Gone on then Al for any thicko's like me how do you switch to sport mode on the auto box Embarassed

push the stick to the left when in drive Whistle
 D4 HSE Lux - Santorini, Privacy, RLD Protector

D3 Stornaway Grey - Gone but not forgotten. 

Post #9293668th May 2012 2:10 pm
Ceekay

Shocked Bow down

Well for some-one who has actually tried reading the book several times over the 4 years I've had this car I didnt remember reading that bit. Just thought that was to place it in command shift gears. I take it it stays in auto but sport mode? I have been putting the D3 into sand mode for a sporty getaway.

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Post #9293708th May 2012 2:17 pm
al cope

England 

what he said above - push the stick to the left - a little S appears in the dash display, and its then is sport mode. It holds the gears a little longer. It also gives you command shift, but you can just leave it in sport auto. Thumbs Up

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #9293768th May 2012 2:25 pm
steve disco

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
manual option?

towed the twin axle with the d3 last month for the first time went up a few hills, reckon i annoyed the engine and got special prgorammes a showing and into limp mode: think i tried to push it too hard! the f2 did a good job and you colud hear the engine wanting to change so was easier.
any thoughts on manual gear box usage? reckon i tried to keep in 5th or 6th too long! and forgot it was 2.7tonnes and 1.5 caravan but the disco soon tells you if u are trying to beat the computer!
switched the d3 off "rebooted" and seems fine now! thats the beauty of LR!
Steve

Post #9294718th May 2012 7:14 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

steve, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, recon you need to make an appointment with yer LR dealer, your vehicle should not do that, symtoms of a) injector related or b) and is more likely to be this one, "turbo boost control" aka yer turbo's FUBAR Whistle

The main reason for yer car shutting down is to protect the engine - so would be wise to get the fault codes read before you do any long term damage Thumbs Up

Happened to me in Feb comin out of Cheltenham with C-Class on the trailer - for me it was A) + B) which as others will tell yer resulted in a new engine after only 471k miles Rolling with laughter

Post #9296499th May 2012 12:29 am
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quote:
push the stick to the left - a little S appears in the dash display, and its then is sport mode.

Mine actually displays the word "sport" when selected Thumbs Up

Good thread this, as it appears there are so many different ideas about towing. Keeping mine in "sport" for an 80 mile trip I got 19.8mpg, but then again I have GG AT2's fitted which will reduce mpg by about 3 mpg, I think.

I have found in the past that using cruise decreased the mpg, has anyone else thought that ?

I have the BAS remap and was advised by Pete to keep the revs up at around 2000 rpm in order to keep the turbo spinning, the Tdv6 engine is also meant to be at its most economical at 2000 rpm, is that correct ?

The next time out I will give command shift a try but to be honest if I had wanted a manual I would have bought one Laughing

Keep the suggestions coming Thumbs Up

Post #9297699th May 2012 11:31 am
al cope

England 

Sorry, yes, mine says "sport" also (though it just had a S). Mine too has BAS remap, and leaving it in sport at 60mph with tintent attached is pretty much 2000rpm, but then the trip comp is sub 20mpg, and I know mine overeggs it by up to 4mpg. I'm not suggesteing using command shift all the time, although pre-anticipating some of the hills in France last year rather than waiting for it to change down was usefull. I think nest time out, I'm just going to leave the auto to do its thing and see what I get.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #9297959th May 2012 12:30 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Keep us posted about what you achieve in "D" as its interesting to see how it performs under different settings Thumbs Up

Post #9298019th May 2012 12:42 pm
anglefire

England 

character wrote:
steve, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, recon you need to make an appointment with yer LR dealer, your vehicle should not do that, symtoms of a) injector related or b) and is more likely to be this one, "turbo boost control" aka yer turbo's FUBAR Whistle

The main reason for yer car shutting down is to protect the engine - so would be wise to get the fault codes read before you do any long term damage Thumbs Up

Happened to me in Feb comin out of Cheltenham with C-Class on the trailer - for me it was A) + B) which as others will tell yer resulted in a new engine after only 471k miles Rolling with laughter

Not necessarily tyrbo. I got Engine system faults last year and turned out to be HP pump. That has been changed and no further re-occurance.

Was worse towing the TinTent - one trip I had to keep the revs over 2200 in command shift otherwise it would fault. The fault occuring at or around 2000rpm in general.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #93102213th May 2012 8:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >