DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Fitting Continental Headlamp Beam Deflectors on a D3 S
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Woolmeister

Ukraine 
Fitting Continental Headlamp Beam Deflectors on a D3 S

Hi all,

We're taking the D3 to France at the end of this month and I'm going to have to fit some of those self-adhesive headlamp beam deflectors on my lights (we could only afford an S). Sad

Incidentally, Honest John seems to think that the S should have Bi-Xenon lights:

Quote:
Standard spec 17" alloys, coil spring suspension, no Terrain Tesponse system.
7 seat adds 4 corner air suspension and Terrain Response
S adds 18" alloys. cruise control, climate control, park distance control, bi-xenon headlamps
SE adds touch screen satnav, leather, automatic headlights and rain sensors
HSE adds 19" alloys, premium navigation system, moon roof, harmon/kardon LoGIC7 sound system.

Should my S have non-adaptive Bi-Xenon lights? I don't think it has looking at the bulbs. Presumably if I did have Bi-Xenons, there would be a lever to switch the direction of the beam?

Moon roof?? Shocked Thud

Anyway, Land Rover don't appear to sell a genuine part so I bought some universal beam deflectors from Halfords. They came with instructions but the instructions are not clear and refer to a dimple in the middle of the headlamp glass.

The D3 - being so perfectly formed - doesn't have a dimple in the middle of the headlamp glass so getting the positioning right is a bit tricky.

Does anybody have any photographs showing the correct positioning of the headlamp beam deflector for both headlamps?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,

Stevo
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #15781716th May 2007 7:48 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

AFAIK, the only model to have Bi-xenon headlamps is the HSE. That is true of the current range of models according to Land Rover's web site so I would think that 'Honest' John is telling porkies in this instance and as for 'moon roof' - where did he get that from Rolling with laughter

Can't help with a photo I'm afraid as I have an HSE so can break my nails on the lever that is supposed to alter the headlamp alignment but which doesn't really do anything!
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #15782116th May 2007 8:05 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

I *think* the SE has standard bi-xenons and the HSE has adaptive bi-xenons (unless they are an option on the HSE).

HJ is completely wrong with the specs. My S has automatic headlights and rain sensors which he reckons only makes an appearance on the SE. Shocked

Steve
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #15782616th May 2007 8:23 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Xenons were standard on 05MY S (& SE), Honest John is obviously living in the past Confused
 The End  
Post #15783016th May 2007 8:44 am
IanD

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Ours has the bi-xenons, but we've never bothered changing the lever on the D3 or masking the lights on our previous car (we've been here eight years), and nobody has ever seemed bothered! I don't think it's worth the effort.

Post #15784616th May 2007 9:22 am
al cope

England 

been there, done that. The S spec halogens do have an alignment "dimple", its just hard to see. Make sure the glass (well its plastic really) is clean. Get down low and look at the centre of the bulb, and you'll see a small circle in the plastic (only about 5mm across). Use this to align/fit your beam benders.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #15794616th May 2007 2:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Al,

Thanks for the tip.

I got down low and looked at the bulb but still couldn't see the dimple in my headlamp units; the headlamp plastic is completely clear right the way across the surface.

I have a 2006 MY D3 and I note that you have too.

Anybody else know where to stick these beam benders? Question

Cheers,

Steve

Post #15806916th May 2007 8:17 pm
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

dont bother with the beam benders i dont and never been flashed Thumbs Up

Post #15808416th May 2007 8:56 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

never bothered either Wink
here's the LR positioning instructions http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...asking.pdf

Post #15808816th May 2007 9:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ken

Thats caus you blind them with these

Whistle

Post #15808916th May 2007 9:14 pm
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

what do you put on those spots Shocked dustbin lids Laughing

Post #15809216th May 2007 9:21 pm
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
beam benders.

I have been going to France for over 30 years and to start with I had yellow paint and beam benders over the headlights. Since the French converted to white lights I have never bothered. Remember they are 1 hour ahead of us and by the end of the month it will not be dark over there until well past 22.00 hours (10 pm if you prefer)

Post #15811716th May 2007 10:21 pm
10forcash

so that's a culmative total of 90 years Shocked was it you that laid the road made of bully beef in tins? Wink

Post #15811916th May 2007 10:22 pm
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Not sure what happened there. I must have been thinking that 90 years ago we all drove on the same side of the road if not up the middle . Anyway the man and the red flag obscured the candle light most of the time.

Post #15813016th May 2007 10:41 pm
10forcash

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Post #15813116th May 2007 10:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >