Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Tips & Tricks

Fitting front Spot Lamps with bumper mountings
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
kengogrrr

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi, have just put my D3 back on the road (long story, posted ages ago about frustrations re. electronics etc after problems following renewing parts of suspension.........siiiigh!) and bings bongs niggles etc. notwithstanding decided to cheer myself up putting on A-frame/spotlights I had acquired before said problems above started.

(A probable visit due from Disco-Mikey to sort out what (hopefully) my particular gremlins are caused by!)

As the frame mounts directly onto the bumper fitting has been quite straightforward, but I'm in two minds re. wiring up the lamps.

I don't have an original LR loom, and as I'm not too bothered about having a switch in the cabin, could I wire lamps up without the hassle of using the connection found under the fusebox etc?

Would that negate having to have the system "switched on" thro' stealers (haven't found one I trust to do anything knowledgeably yet!!!!) or am I just asking for (more? lol) trouble?

I have not been able to find a LR loom should the advice be to stick with it.

I have always been very impressed with the thoughful and expert advice on here so would appreciate some guidance please?

(oh, and have knackered a parking sensor trying to remove them from bumper, but see there are several advertised on fleabay from OE down, are the cheaper ones acceptable re. D3s hysterical electronic panic-at-the-slightest-thing systems?)

Will attempt to post pic. (I think the overall look is quite good with the lights etc. added, just need to spend the weekend cleaning it and gutting the interior to enjoy it once more, lol!)

Will be applying for Disco3 stickers forthwith! (to add to my #ForzaJules!)

Cheers!

Post #137720421st Nov 2014 1:59 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I wired mine up without the LR loom Thumbs Up

Battery positive
Wire to lights
Earth
Feed from main beam

I looked at fitting the LR loom. Censored that, I'll live without the switch Laughing
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #137727421st Nov 2014 4:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kengogrrr

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi there D-M,

good news at last! (makes a change!! lol!)

The sparkly wasn't sure about polarity of feed (or probably more scared of cannbus(?) settup.)

Sounds encouraging, I've noticed a posting that suggested the relay might fit in battery comp. can I ask (politely) if that's where you would recommend please?

A visit from you next month looking highly desirable after reading of hair loss inducing searches of electrickery problems from brake bulbs to every possible combination of sensors via dodgy/mucky/worn connectors, wiring and switches................siiigghhhhh!! lol!

Will be changing part blown brake light bulb this evening (if i can open tailgate, yep, got that fault too.) and attempt spotlight wire-up!

Thanks again!

ps if I'm not pushing my luck, any advice re. replacement parking sensors?

Post #137729621st Nov 2014 4:57 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Cheaper PDC sensors are OK, but don't have the same "range" as OEM. But for £12 as opposed to £60, I can live with them working at 1m, instead of 2m...
All rears can be changed without removing the bumper. Front outers can be done too, but not front inners. Be worth checking for broken wires first though

My lights have been wired up for a while now, with no issues at all with any other system Thumbs Up

The relay doesn't quite reach into the battery compartment. Can't remember why, I think it is because the earth wire is too short (used the genuine relay holder and wiring) and not had a chance to re-do it yet.

It will be tidied up shortly, along with the DRL install Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #137744121st Nov 2014 7:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ruseyrek

Turkey 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Disco_Mikey wrote:
I wired mine up without the LR loom Thumbs Up

Battery positive
Wire to lights
Earth
Feed from main beam

I looked at fitting the LR loom. Censored that, I'll live without the switch Laughing

Hi Mikey,

this may be a very obvious and possibly stupid question but how do you turn them on/off without the dash switch?
do they only come on with the main beam and stay on?

thanks

Post #16038062nd Feb 2016 11:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >