Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Fixed towbar and caravan stabilisers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
johnw

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Fixed towbar and caravan stabilisers

We've got a twin axle caravan with one of the Alko integrated stabilisers. With our previous car (volvo v70) we had to get its towbar changed to be able to use these new stabilisers.

Has anyone any experience / issues in using these stabilisers with the fixed height towbar?

The fixed towball is 350-500mm high. The default that LR put it at is the lowest which seems a bit too low for the average caravan. Anybody else found this? Any height recommendations?
 06 TDV6 SE Zambezi silver  
Post #4465527th Feb 2006 8:32 pm
al cope

England 

Do you mean the fixed height towbar (the swan neck one), or do you mean the fixed (as in always visibile), which LR call multiheight towbar. If its the latter, just remove the drop plate LR fit, and move the towball up. Most vans need a towball height of approx 16" ground to ball centre height, and with the drop plate removed, this is the height you get. If you need a picture, let me know and I'll take a photo of mine. Dont forget you need the Alko ball, as this is slightly longer than a standard ball to allow the stabiliser head to swivel.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #4465827th Feb 2006 8:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jenko

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Fixed towbar and caravan stabilisers

johnw wrote:
We've got a twin axle caravan with one of the Alko integrated stabilisers. With our previous car (volvo v70) we had to get its towbar changed to be able to use these new stabilisers.

Has anyone any experience / issues in using these stabilisers with the fixed height towbar?

The fixed towball is 350-500mm high. The default that LR put it at is the lowest which seems a bit too low for the average caravan. Anybody else found this? Any height recommendations?

Hi johnw - I have a 2005 abbey spectrum twin axle and tow with a detachable towbar - and find it sits perfectly at the right - a friend of mine has a similiar set up and he to has the same findings - having spoke to a guy with a fixed towbar on a td5 - he adjusted his and got much better stability - his process was to rig up and level the car and caravan by eye and adjust towball - hope this helps

jenko

Zambezi silver tdv6 s

Post #4466727th Feb 2006 9:25 pm
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I agree with Al Cope's comments. I have had this problem with all 4 Discoverys(Discoveries?) I have previously had my own drop plates made to my requirements that did not fit those in Caravan Accessory shops. When I had a Castleton caravan and a BMW with a fixed ball I had to go to some extreme lengths and actually had spacers fitted between the caravan chassis and the axle, a bit extreme but it worked.
By removing the LR drop plate I now tow with a very slight nose down attitude on the van.
I also endorse the comment that you must keep the Alko ball, it is "taller" than a bog standard ball.

Post #4467327th Feb 2006 9:33 pm
Rodg75

United Kingdom 

HI, I've ordered a tdv6 with the towpack, which I think comes with the 'plug in' (i.e. the removable swan neck towbar).
BUT I've got a caravan with an ALKO stabiliser coupling - so.....instead of using the plug in swan neck do LR make a drop plate type attachment so I can bolt on my existing alko towball?
Or do alko make something I can use?
I'm sure other D3 owners have come across this problem Confused
Any help much appreciated... Very Happy

Post #4469127th Feb 2006 10:46 pm
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

There are two types of LR towbars for the Disco. Swan neck which is of a fixed height and is detachable. On the multi height there is a choice of settings and your Alko ball can fit within a range of about 4 positions.

Post #4471227th Feb 2006 11:48 pm
johnw

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sorry for not making clear - I have the multiheight (3 position / always visible) towbar.

From the responses, it looks like I need to raise the towball up to a higher setting. What do you guys generally use - top or middle position?

Al, you mentioned removing the 'drop plate' - would you mind explaining / sending photo. The 'alko ball' is probably what I had to get for my V70 - guess I need to replace the standard ball that LR supply.

Thanks for all the responses.

JohnW
 06 TDV6 SE Zambezi silver  
Post #4471628th Feb 2006 12:02 am
Rodg75

United Kingdom 

Can (should?) the multi height (always visible type) towbar be specified when ordering the towpack?

On the options list it just says towpack. Or can it be bought from a dealer and'plugged in' after removing the swan neck type?

Seems like the type I need so I can bolt on my ALKO towball.

I've ordered my car from an online retailer so you guys are my only source of info + most car salesmen don't seem to know that much about what they're selling any way.

Thanks again for advice
Richard

Post #4484328th Feb 2006 4:59 pm
al cope

England 

John

youve got the same as me. With the multiheight towbar you get a drop plate fitted. It looks like this:-

Take it off, along with the LR towball, and fit your ALKO ball on the bottom set of holes in the towbar, as here:-

This puts the towball at approx 16" center from the ground. I then used the top set of holes for my witter bike rack mount.

hope this helps

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #4486728th Feb 2006 7:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rodg75

United Kingdom 

THUB wrote:
There are two types of LR towbars for the Disco. Swan neck which is of a fixed height and is detachable. On the multi height there is a choice of settings and your Alko ball can fit within a range of about 4 positions.

I've just ordered the 'towpack' on the options list. Which type will I get? and if it's the detachable fixed height swan neck type can it be easily replaced with the multi height on so I can bolt on my ALKO towball, or is it a totally different arrangement Confused

Post #4487828th Feb 2006 8:00 pm
al cope

England 

There's only a 10'er difference in the price of these as accessories. The multiheight is p/no: VUB501430, and the quick release is: KNB500011. Both of these are without electrics.

If you ordered the towpack option, according to my sales brochure, its the quick release one you get.

Alan
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #4488028th Feb 2006 8:21 pm
Rodg75

United Kingdom 

Cheers Alan, thanks for photos and help Thumbs Up

Post #4488128th Feb 2006 8:26 pm
Pelyma

England 

The detachable bar fits the Alko stabiliser no problem and runs at the correct height. The heavy duty fixed towbar may need the different tow ball fitted to allow for the bigger head. I know when we towed with the Frontera we had to have a slightly different ball fitted.

If you want to use a bike rack while towing you need the fixed bar, whicg to my mind is the only advantage over the neater removable hitch
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #4488528th Feb 2006 9:13 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Tow bar

Did BN have a tow bar for sale the fixed one Question
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #4489528th Feb 2006 10:17 pm
Rodg75

United Kingdom 

Thanks for that pelyma, I would prefer to use the removable one (appearances when not towing) but was concerned that the ALKO towball must be used with the ALKO stabilser hitch because of the longer neck.

But if you say its OK I'll wait till I get the car and give it a whirl. I'm sure if I do have any probs a dealer can convert it to the multi height fixed one.
Thanks for help!

Post #4489828th Feb 2006 10:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >