Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Fob not workong
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Nedarb2

Canada 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3
Fob not workong

My key fob is intermittently not working.
Whenever it’s not working, I get these 2 faults showing up on the gap tool. If I clear them, the fob starts working again right away. (See screen shot in my gallery)
Is this connected with the soldering wire joint under the passenger door sill or something else?
Thanks!

Post #232441928th Jan 2023 4:03 am
480GT

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

If it's an intermittent fault then I'd suspect the battery in the fob, believe it or not. Particularly if it's never been changed. Theoretically they are supposed to charge wirelessly when in the ignition but they lose the ability to hold charge over time, and in my personal experience intermittent faults are a sign that the battery is on its way out. I had this problem while on a trip and solved it by cracking open a fob and temporarily wiring in a CR2330 (inadvisable, but it got me home) until I could get hold of the proper rechargeable battery.

Part number for the battery is VL2330 and it does require opening the fob, doing a bit of soldering, and re-shelling it (good excuse if it's starting to look a bit tatty).

Whilst you've got the soldering iron out it certainly wouldn't do any harm to have a look at the bundle of green wires under the sill, chances are you won't see anything amiss as the join seems to fail inside the crimp, so be prepared to cut them down and re-terminate just in case!
 D3 2005 HSE
GAP IID 

Post #232443128th Jan 2023 7:33 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Have you tried the spare fob?
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #232443628th Jan 2023 8:03 am
desv8

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

When mine was intermittent it turned out to be bad connection in the fob.

Took the case apart and as technical as i had to get was a bit of cardboard folded and placed between battery and case, happy days. Some months on still as good as new.

If you split the fob and hold thumb pressure on the battery while trying to lock and unlock should identify whether you are lucky as I was.

Post #232444128th Jan 2023 9:06 am
Nedarb2

So, I don’t think it’s the fob because that would just not be sending a signal to the car. I am getting 2 error codes when the fob doesn’t work, and clearing them makes the fob work instantly again. It must be something to do with the computer / electrics making it ignore (or think it doesn’t work) the fob receiver. If the fob just wasn’t working this wouldn’t be happening….

Post #232450428th Jan 2023 8:47 pm
480GT

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Just a thought - in order to read those codes and clear them with a gap tool you have to have the key in the ignition, which charges the battery. If it's weak (or the fob is otherwise intermittent), then it might well work immediately after clearing the codes simply because it's been charging in the ignition, with the code clearing being a complete coincidence. Those 'missed message' errors seem to happen almost at random on these cars, and I'm not sure what a microphone or ride level error would have to do with the key...
 D3 2005 HSE
GAP IID 

Last edited by 480GT on 28th Jan 2023 9:08 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #232450528th Jan 2023 8:52 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

Those DTC's shouldn't affect security - what are your symptoms? will the car lock/unlock remotely? does the engine start? Does the key remote work after a few seconds in the ignition lock? if you unlock the car manually, does it start without clearing the codes? more detail on the sequence of events (or non-events) is needed. There are two security systems in the 'fob' active & passive, finding out which isn't working will instantly discount 50% of the fault finding.

Post #232450728th Jan 2023 8:58 pm
Nedarb2

This has happened 3 times in the last 2 weeks.
The first time was after 1hr driving to a mall. Got out of the car, wouldn’t lock. Fob was “dead”.
BUT, so was the lock / unlock button above the clock on the dash. Had to manually lock the doors.
After shopping, still dead.
Drove 10 mins to another store. Fob worked again, locks worked again. No problems for a week.
Then happened again - fob Not working after driving around (getting home after work).
Check gap tool - cleared error codes - worked instantly.
Happened again yesterday. Checked gap tool again - cleared codes - started working instantly.
The next time it happens I will not clear codes and see if it makes any difference….
The lock / unlock dash button has continued to work even when the fob is not, except that first time.

I only have 1 fob right now. I have had one on order for weeks from the local dealer apparently the cutting machine is down right now… 1-2 more months to get it.

Post #232452129th Jan 2023 1:04 am
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

Is there anywhere that would be able to test the key is transmitting for you? a lot of TPMS test equipment has a key test function - I have an Autel TS508 that does the job, either that or a spectrum analyser that covers the correct frequency band (443MHz in EU 315MHz in NA) - it should be marked on the key anyway. If the key is defective, can you get a new one from the dealer, swap the blade over then go back for the blade to be cut later?

Post #232453729th Jan 2023 10:00 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >