Fog light & DRL 2 in 1 LED lamp
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ogru

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Fog light & DRL 2 in 1 LED lamp

Hi Guys,

I need some help.

I've been looking for E-Mark approved DRL for my D4 2012. I'll be travelling around Poland this summer and Polish highway code says that you either need E-Mark approved DRL or headlights always ON. I hate to manually operate the headlights, I like to set it on auto.

The best option I found was Part No. FOG923-WIN from powerfuluk but unfortunately they are out of stock and they don't know when it will be back.

The other option is: Part No. FOG923-TP also from powerfuluk. The only problem with the second one is the lack of positive feed from your headlight connection (to switch DRL off when headlights are turned on). It only requires just one wire connecting to a positive ignition feed, please see below:

When you read on their website it says:
Click image to enlarge

Which sounds good, so off I go to eBay and here we are (that is only one example but all of them are very similar)

I've send an email to Powerful UK to ask how to connect the DRL controller module if there is no negative wire from DRL and the replay was:
Click image to enlarge

Sorry it might be silly question but I'm not en expert and I don't want to buy this and then realise the functionality is limited etc.

So How do I connect this thing up using the module? Can I leave the negative wire unconnected?

Cheers,
Pete.

Post #204551213th Apr 2019 5:32 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Easier and cheaper to change the CCF daylight running lights to have the head lights on Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #204553713th Apr 2019 8:09 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

you could always use a normally closed relay and have the DRLs go off when headlamps are lit?

Post #204556713th Apr 2019 9:39 am
Ceekay

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Osram have or did have a decent set that I had installed on the D3, although 1 or 2 people said theirs condensated after some months but mine were fine and had a certificate of comformity on the back page of the instructions. (for the UK anyhow)
 D4 HSE Lux MY16 Club Waitomo
D3 HSE MY06 missing her still… 

Post #204562013th Apr 2019 1:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ogru

Thank you all guys for the response.

Hardware17 wrote:
you could always use a normally closed relay and have the DRLs go off when headlamps are lit?

I'll go with the closed relay good call Smile

Thank you again! Smile

Post #204611915th Apr 2019 2:58 pm
Ogru

Hi Guys,

If anyone is interested in this I ended up buying lights from the Bearmach Ltd. for £87.98, I did get 10% discount for the first purchase. Total cost around £84 for lights and pollen filter.

https://bearmach.com/fog-lamps-with-daytim...r057400drl

I was very surprised to see the lights had sensor included (the one without separate ground connection) so it works out of the box.

Easy connection:
FOG - standard H11 connector.
DRL - black to battery ground, red positive to 12V ignition live feed, blue wire to headlight positive feed.

Cheers,
Pete.

Post #204821424th Apr 2019 11:41 am
Wasson

2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Pete, I’m looking for something like this, do you have any images of these fitted with drl’s On? Many thanks scott

Post #206882716th Jul 2019 9:29 pm
Kimi

Ogru wrote:
Hi Guys,

If anyone is interested in this I ended up buying lights from the Bearmach Ltd. for £87.98, I did get 10% discount for the first purchase. Total cost around £84 for lights and pollen filter.

https://bearmach.com/fog-lamps-with-daytim...r057400drl

I was very surprised to see the lights had sensor included (the one without separate ground connection) so it works out of the box.

Easy connection:
FOG - standard H11 connector.
DRL - black to battery ground, red positive to 12V ignition live feed, blue wire to headlight positive feed.

Cheers,
Pete.

Did you install these already? Any findings?

I just did the install, but it wasn’t as straight forward as I thought. Some findings / questions:

1) Where is the blue wire supposed to go? Instructions talk about side light circuit (is that fairy lights?). I hooked it to dipped beam wire on RHS headlamp connector (pin 11 in the middle, blue-orange wire). DRL turn on fine at the start and turn off if I switch dipped lights on, but they don’t turn back on when I switch off the dipped lights. I’m wondering if the blue wire isn’t hooked up properly?
Update: seems to work much better when hooked to side light (fairy light) wire. I just had to disassemble the Robbies fairy light mod to get them operate along with xenons. One nuance is that when flickering dipped beam on->off, DRL’s are slowish to come back on and do it gradually brightening during 5-10 sec or so. Is that a feature or maybe there is slowness in side light voltage turning off?

2) Are the both lights supposed to be installed on the same orientation? It seems to be the only way to make them properly centered behind the bezels. Although DRL pattern is not symmetric so now both light show similar pattern (not the mirror) and it seems a bit weird.

3) On my LHD car there was a windscreen washer reservoir right behind the LHS fog light. New fog light didn’t sit properly until I relocated the wire behind the light and still it seemed to be leaning on the reservoir. Is there a similar issue with RHD car?

Last edited by Kimi on 20th Jul 2019 7:55 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #206961419th Jul 2019 6:09 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

I am surprised no one wires these up as per the LR instructions for the dealer fit DRLs. Wires into the cabin fuse box. If I remember correctly theirs a pos from the cabin fuse box, a earth in the front engine bay, an ign live from centre console and a live control feed from the front right side light. I’m thinking of having mine switch off when the main beam comes on or fitting one of the dimming controllers and having them on all the time.

Post #206964219th Jul 2019 8:16 pm
Ogru

Wasson wrote:
Hi Pete, I’m looking for something like this, do you have any images of these fitted with drl’s On? Many thanks scott

Hi Scott,

Sorry for the late replay I was on the road for last 2 weeks. I'll post the pictures tomorrow.

Cheers,
Pete.

Post #207182228th Jul 2019 1:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >