Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Fog light wiring colours
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Seaside

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Fog light wiring colours

I am going to fit front fog lights and I am fitting a separate switch to operate them, can anyone tell me which coloured wires (colour and tracer) that I tap into at the rear of the light switch. I cannot replace the light switch
as would normally happen because my switch has the headlight levelling wheel incorperated and it appears
Land Rover don,t make one with the extra pullout for front fogs.

Post #7551921st Feb 2011 7:15 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

i woundn't have thought the wires would be there then Shocked

but ...on a normal switch with fogs

REAR

red wire / orange tracer

FRONT

blue wire / red tracer
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #7552341st Feb 2011 8:49 pm
Seaside

Thanks Wiggs. The wire at the front which connects the fogs together is blue with purple tracer and two black wires the blue wire with purple follows through to the rear of the light switch block,this would I presume fit to one side of my switch, but what colour wire would be the supply wire ?

Post #7552661st Feb 2011 9:30 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

iv only got a wiring diagram for the switch with fogs on

the blue / purple wires at the front (fog lights ) go round to fuse 38 ...then they come out the other side of the fuse as blue/red

2 blacks at the fog light end are grounds

Brown / purple is the main feed for the lighting switch
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #7552831st Feb 2011 9:47 pm
simoniz

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Seaside

Think you will find that LR do a switch unit - several others on here have faced the same problem but a call to Nick aka TLO on here @ Yeovil LR and the part is sourced !!!!

Thumbs Up

Post #7552941st Feb 2011 10:04 pm
Seaside

Thanks again Wiggs I will have another look tomorrow and see if there is a blue/red wire at the switch.
One more thing so that it is legal does anything else have to be switched on i.e side lights,rear fogs before
I can use the front fogs, if so the supply lead would have to be connected to the wire that goes to either the sidelights or rear fogs.

Front fogs------blue/purple-------fuse 38----blue/red-------Ist contact on my switch---------main light switch
2nd contact to ?

rear fogs---------------------------------------------------------main light switch
side lights-------------------------------------------------------main light switch

Post #7553391st Feb 2011 11:37 pm
Seaside

Thanks Simoniz. Mine is the base model with a headlight levelling wheel incorperated in
the switch part No. YUD 501470PVJ I am told replacement switches which have the front fog position
do not have the levelling wheel.

Post #7553491st Feb 2011 11:49 pm
simoniz

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

There have been several other forum members with the same vehicle as yourself and doing exactly the same who raised the same issue - they contacted TLO and I am sure my memory is correct he sourced the part with the leveling switch......

Good luck !

Post #7553862nd Feb 2011 8:35 am
lrd3 Ruud

Netherlands 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto BournvilleDiscovery 3

Hi guys,

I am actually doing the same with the same light switch.
I've also been told, by TLO, that there is no replacement switch with fog light switch, for this type of light switch.

So, my plan was to "Tee" in the main light wiring, behind the contact, and feed a relay which switches the fog lights on and off as soon as you switch on youre driving lights.
There would be a sepperate switch between the ty-in and the relay so that i can switch off the fog lights when / if needed.
But reading this topic, it seems there is an easier way to do this.
I would have thought that there was no wiring for the foglights going to the light switch if there is no facillity to switch anyway, like Wiggs pointed out as well.(i never checked Whistle )
But Seaside says there is, so, i will review my plan again and take the dash apart to check, would make life a lot easier.

Cheers, Ruud Thumbs Up
 Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to see them come true.

MODS:
-TJM-OX 9500 winch, Dyneema winch rope, RLD hidden winch mount, RLD sump guard, RLD rock sliders, 2" OME suspension lift, Traxide dual battery system, B.A.S. remap, B.A.S. fbh controller, Cooper LTZ 285x60 R18, Fog lights, Viair 330 onboard air system, Victron 600watt 220v inverter, FR rear underbody protection (in progress)

Yep, still bits in progress, but we'll get there eventually!! 

Post #7554562nd Feb 2011 12:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Seaside

Hi. lrd3Rud. Following wiggs info, I have checked the wiring at the rear of the switch, the red with orange tracer feeds the rear foglamps. The blue wire with red tracer feeds the front foglights this blue/red wire is there at the back of the switch. I took a chance and put a shorting link in the back of the switch socket and shorted these 2 wires together and switched the light switch to the fog position and the green fog light symbol on the dash came on. Before I put the shorting link in I checked all the switch positions to make sure that the blue/red wire did not become live at any time.

Post #7555352nd Feb 2011 2:52 pm
lrd3 Ruud

Hi Seaside,

Thats good news!
Although i am a bit confused.
Which switch did you switched to fogs-on position? youre extra installed switch?
If so, did that switched the relay for the fogs as well?

I will go and check / do all this, as soon i find some spare time.

Cheers, Ruud Thumbs Up
 Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to see them come true.

MODS:
-TJM-OX 9500 winch, Dyneema winch rope, RLD hidden winch mount, RLD sump guard, RLD rock sliders, 2" OME suspension lift, Traxide dual battery system, B.A.S. remap, B.A.S. fbh controller, Cooper LTZ 285x60 R18, Fog lights, Viair 330 onboard air system, Victron 600watt 220v inverter, FR rear underbody protection (in progress)

Post #7559433rd Feb 2011 9:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Seaside

Fog light wiring colours

Hi. lrd3Ruud,
You can simply fit a new light switch part number YUD501480PVJ but you will lose the headlight levelling wheel.
or what I was thinking if the front and rear fogs already went through relays then I would have thought a simple
switched link between blue with red tracer and and red wire with orange tracer. Both wires are together at the back of the switch.
If Land Rover do not fit relays for the lighting , info I received suggests there may not be any. I would have to fit a relay . A normal 4 terminal relay wired one terminal to earth, second terminal to blue/red, third terminal to
red/orange and the remaining one to the main feed brown with purple tracer, this wire is the thickest one on the switch block. When you buy a relay it tells you which pin is which.
I have not done anything yet I was looking at all the options.

Post #7559873rd Feb 2011 11:31 am
lrd3 Ruud

Hi Seaside,

I haven't had a look yet but things are looking good. Thumbs Up
Do you know, or does anybody know where the fog light relay would be situated? (if present)
I actualy think that there could be a relay present, since the wiring is there.
Hope somebody can tell us.

Are you planning on using the original fog light wire loom?

Thanx, Ruud Thumbs Up

MODS:

Post #7561433rd Feb 2011 7:20 pm
Seaside

Hi lrd3Ruud,
Wiggs says there is no relay on the wiring diagrams, so I am thinking of fitting a relay as previously described, I will go down this route to be on the safe side. I will mount the relay in the cavity behind the main light switch. All other wiring is in situ plus I will fit the wiring loom behind the bumper as supplied by Land Rover (The Large one) when I fit the fog lamps.
Thanks to wiggs for telling me which colour wires feed the foglamps.

Post #7562573rd Feb 2011 11:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >