Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Foglamp/DRL Conversion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
V6Mike

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4
Foglamp/DRL Conversion

I'm about to fit some combined foglight/drl's to my MY 2011 HSE. I will be 'piggy backing' from a fuse which is live only when the ignition is switched on and would welcome advice as to which fuse would be the best one to choose. Plus, when 'teeing' in to the sidlight live (to activate the drl controller) which colour wire is the one to choose? I've ordered my new lights from Powerful UK and would be interested to hear from anyone who has done this mod and has it been successful?
 Now gone -D3 XS 2007
Remap and EGR blank by Bodsy.
'Halo' DRL foglight conversion
20" x 9.5" Stormers
Seat Surgeons bespoke leather

D4 HSE 2011 (Missus liked the D3 so we got a D4 as well)

D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 2019 (missus LOVED the D5 so trusty D3 had to go.) 

Post #207856526th Aug 2019 2:40 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

If you can get a copy of the dealer fit DRL instructions off Topix, that has all the connections you would need and which fuse to use. The only connection I may change on mine is the one that turns the DRL off when the sidelights come on. I may fit a DRL dimmer so that when the SL comes on, they dim but remain on.

Post #207856726th Aug 2019 2:51 pm
V6Mike

Thanks. I have a drl controller which reduces intensity by half when sidelights come on - just need to be sure to tee in to the correct sidelight live. I don't have access to Topix so need to ask my friendly 'indy' maybe.
 Now gone -D3 XS 2007
20" x 9.5" Stormers

Post #207857226th Aug 2019 2:57 pm
flat90

England 

The genuine Land Rover kit plugs in to the fues box and then takes a wire through the bulkhead and a feed from the gear selector in the cab. so if you are fitting aftermarket DRL and looking for an easy ignition pick up its no good. So far Ive found a good number of ignition feed live feeds in both fues boxes but the problem is they do not go off when the ignition is turned off they have the minute or so delay. Im still looking. As for a side light feed to turn them off, I just patched into the main headlight multi plug

Post #20802752nd Sep 2019 3:08 pm
lrovy

France 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Unknown ColourLR4

In terms of connecting DRL to get power, in my case I've everything done within right side head lamp area where some space is. v+ is connected straight to battery via fuse in similar way as explained here:

The v- goes to BJB and ignition fuse (can have a look at which fuse it is, but from top of my head it was top right when looking from the front side).

The signaling to turn off DLR I took from pin 11 (Xenon) to have DRL turned off only when Xenon comes up as wanted to keep fairy light and position tail lights too.
Have a look at https://www.disco4.com/forum/d4-fairy-ligh...41032.html on how to get fairy lights.

This mod together with DRL keeps DRL off when ignition is off, though still fairy lights will be on for a minute or two if car is not locked with position lights selector in normal/off position and immediately go off when car is locked unless position lights knob doesn't force them to be on.

I really like the mod and how it works - big thanks to @Robbie for fairly lights.

Post #20806523rd Sep 2019 10:04 pm
flat90

England 

Thanks for the advice. I did find a spare fuse in the manin fuse box which will do my job. F20 is ignition on and turns off stright away when the ignotion is turned off.

Post #20810535th Sep 2019 7:55 am
lrovy

France 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Unknown ColourLR4

Happy to help. I've received so much help from others here and want to share the same.

Post #20812135th Sep 2019 7:38 pm
V6Mike

Here's my result. The suppliers advised to connect to the smog sensor behind the grille and that works fine. Unfortunately, I failed to get the controller working so my drls come on with the ignition and stay on with the lights. They do go off, though, when the foglights are turned on. So, I can live with that but would love to know if anyone can recommend a controller and how it should be wired in?
 Now gone -D3 XS 2007
20" x 9.5" Stormers

Post #208301911th Sep 2019 3:10 pm
flat90

England 

Hi, thanks for that. Checked the smog sensors but it stays on the delay after the the ignition goes off.
Mine are working fine, using F20 - heated steering wheel fuse, goes off as soon as ignition is turned off. Took a fly lead off the side light wire into the headlight multi plug to turn the adRL off when the side lights are turned on.
Think someone was asking which colour wire for the sidelight, thing the left hand side one was re/black? But just check with a test lamp.

Post #208316811th Sep 2019 9:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >