DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

French and the English language
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

NoDo$h wrote:
...and that's when the fight started Rolling with laughter

Except the French don't fight, they surrender and collaberate, and then spend all their life hating the country that gave them their freedom back Wink Whistle

That should provoke a response from Gurvan
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #4633166th May 2009 12:44 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

La fromage manger rendre singe?

Edit: Wiki suggests "singes mangeurs de fromage" sans rendre....

Perhaps "rendre-singes mangeurs de fromage" would be better?

Gurvan! Help!
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #4633186th May 2009 12:53 pm
SJR

Are you sure about that translation Alan? Confused

edit: he changed it whilst I was typing this Rolling Eyes
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #4633236th May 2009 12:59 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Sorry, was trying to work out the translation very roughly when I typed it out first time, then thought "hmmm, that's not right...." and went for a wander around Wiki. Final version fits nicely with our take on the sentence, but doesn't work with French grammar - use of a hyphen like that being a no-no
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #4633246th May 2009 1:02 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Which country are you talking about ?

The one who took 4 years to cross the channel with the help of the US when they only took 9 days in 1940 on their way back home ? Whistle I should remember you that it took some Frenchmen to protect your backs from that one (And a mysterious "Haltbefehl order" from Hitler...). We left 35.000+ "Cheese Surrender Monkey" in that one... ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Dunkirk ) Not too shabby I would say...

Anyway...

We were going to win in the end... Whistle

Beside, it was not surrender but a long term strategy aimed at inducing the Germans into splitting in small parts which would be more easily managed later on... And it worked ! Mr. Green

Let us be fair and say that the 1940 surrender was just a successful trick for luring the Germans in a false sense of security and that it worked, ok ?

Ner Ner
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #4633296th May 2009 1:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SJR

Ha Ha, Nice Response Gurvan Laughing Thumbs Up
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #4633306th May 2009 1:11 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Off Topic

I wasn't going to get involved in this thread, but I just wanted to say a few things to Gurvan....

1. I'm frankly amazed at the level of your English - especially considering it is the '3rd' language you learnt after French and German....seriously - your grasp of the language would put many British people to shame. I've spent the last 5 or 6 years talking, reading and writing every day in Spanish and Catalan - I consider myself pretty fluent in both, but not even close to the level that you've managed with English Thumbs Up

2. You've got a fantastic (and educated) sense of humour - even more so when you consider that most of this thread has been critisicing (in a nice way) your country. Thumbs Up

Nice one Bow down
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #4633386th May 2009 1:23 pm
Gurvan

Embarassed

What can I say after that ? Thanks, I guess...

Anyway, trust us (The French...), nobody can criticize that country (France) better than we do ! A Frenchman who is not criticizing its country at least once per day is probably dead ! Laughing

Also, even though English was my 3rd language, it is the one that I get the most chances to use. And after having worked with Americans and British people on many occasion, you develop a thicker hide ! Mr. Green Beside as long as nobody else cooks better than us, we still feel all right... Wink
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #4633456th May 2009 1:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I only asked why a few French companies didn't speak English while trying to get business from the UK, now we have bought up the war, NoDo$h dubious French ramblings and now somebody bringing Spain into it.

It is all light hearted of course and Gurvan has added fun to it and your right his English is way too good Shocked . He also has a D3 so he is virtually an adopted Englishman whether he likes it or not Laughing

I'll try to speak French when I come over in a few weeks I promise, just don't expect anybody to understand me Embarassed

Post #4633466th May 2009 1:40 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

CW Thumbs Up

countrywide wrote:
now we have bought up the war, NoDo$h dubious French ramblings and now somebody bringing Spain into it.

Don't you just love the off-topic section Whistle

As an aside, and just to start things back on topic....

I work with automotive companies (both customers and suppliers) all day every day. All of them release technical data (specs, documents and drawings etc) in both their local language and English.....(obviously just in English in the case of JLR)

Well......all of them except for.......

wait for it.......

.....you know what's coming don't you?

The French Thud Rolling with laughter
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #4633496th May 2009 1:50 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Does english from Birmingham count though or is that another language Rolling with laughter

Post #4633526th May 2009 1:52 pm
Gurvan

PaulP wrote:
The French Thud Rolling with laughter

Why do you think that I buy foreign cars ? Whistle
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #4633536th May 2009 1:55 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Dubious ramblings? How very dare you!

Gurvan, I've always taken the view that you should never buy a British car built on a Friday, a German car built in Spain, an Italian car built in the summer or a French car built in the afternoon. Have you seen the amount of red wine that get consumed in the cafes near the Renault plant outside Le Havre of a lunchtime?
Post #4633586th May 2009 2:08 pm
JMC

Scotland 

I've been enjoying this thread and would like to add the weight of the 'auld alliance' to Pauls' comments. Gurvan - I am in awe of your command of the English language in its written form. I reckon you could easily shame more than 20% of the UK population with that. Thumbs Up

French is my second language and although I never progressed it beyond school, I still use it to remind myself that I haven't forgotten it. Embarassed Last time I was in Burgandy, I was complemented by a wine seller in the following way:

When a German speaks French, you can always tell that he is German. When an Englishman attempts French you can tell instantly that he is English. However, to me, you sound like you come from Paris! Shocked

What is even more shocking is that I don't believe that my French is anything more than 'schoolboy level'. However, I think the Scots have a more natural ability for doing French correctly - after all, we come from a Gaelic background. Wink Must be something to do with the intentions in our own dialects (we say 'loch' eg Loch Ness with a gutteral sound, whereas the English call it 'Lock Ness' and we roll our r's where the English tend only to stick their r's in the air......). Whistle

It's true to say that English speakers have become lazy because of the weight of the language use across the globe by the USA (and Austrailia etc.), but the French have the same colonialist background and can show many countries in the world where their language is prime.
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #4633846th May 2009 2:45 pm
countrywide

JMC I am shocked if French is your second language where does Scottish feature Shocked

Post #4633866th May 2009 2:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >