Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Are the front and back wheels interchangeable?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Chancer

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Are the front and back wheels interchangeable?

My original Scorpion Zeros all still have a good amount of tread on them, but the front tyres are wearing faster than the back – probably due to the multiple roundabouts I have to contend with on my way to and from work every day.

To even out the wear and increase the life of my tyres can I swap the back wheels with the front, alloys and all?

Or is there a difference between the front and back wheels that would stop me from doing this?

Post #56988424th Dec 2009 12:05 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You can as long as you change front to back on the same side and not cross N/S to O/S as the tyres could be directional in rotation. Not sure on the tread pattern, but you will be ok on swapping front to rear

Post #56989024th Dec 2009 12:08 pm
Chancer

Thanks for the that.

I think I know what I will be doing on Boxing Day instead of making awkward small talk with the in-laws Very Happy

Post #56989224th Dec 2009 12:13 pm
NJF

Rotation thread here: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic5005.ht...e+rotation

Wink

Post #56990624th Dec 2009 12:45 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Yep - as Mac says, you can change them over no problem. If the tyres are not directional, then it's sometimes recommended that you swap them diagonally too, but if you're doing it yourself, then it's usually easier to just swap front to back on one side at a time. Thumbs Up

Chancer wrote:
I think I know what I will be doing on Boxing Day instead of making awkward small talk with the in-laws Very Happy

Hmmm..using the mother-in-law as a wheel chock.....nice one.....I'll give it a go Evil or Very Mad Laughing
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #56990924th Dec 2009 12:52 pm
Chancer

Using the mother-in-law as a wheel chock Dr. Evil

Just when I thought I would never find a good use for the mother-in-law the Disco3.co.uk forum comes up trumps again Bow down

I just need to find a decent jack now, I don't really fancy using the one that comes with the car on my stone chip drive Neutral

Post #56992624th Dec 2009 1:28 pm
al cope

England 

Your right to consider getting a decent jack, as I've had the LR supplied one collapse. You'll have a problem with a decent trolley jack on a stone chip drive, as wont be able to roll forward as the car raises. Air bag jack maybe?

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #56993524th Dec 2009 1:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

...... or stick a firm board under a trolley jack. Wink
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #56995424th Dec 2009 2:19 pm
Rencolyn

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

As space is always a problem on any 4x4 trip, I opted for a 10 ton bottle jack placed on a piece of sturdy hardwood which all fits into an ammo box with the other spares.

It is so easy now that I do the supervision & Swambo does the jacking! Mr. Green
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #57034526th Dec 2009 2:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hids4u

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Changing wheels - gearbox problems

Just a watch it not directly related. I just have got my car back after 3 weeks with the stealer. thankfully the car was under warranty. I bought some wheels and tyres 2 have a 2nd set for winter to find that the L322 RR wheels dont fit the D3 - finding out after buying the wheel nuts added to the pain. The RR wheels catch the front callipers.

Anyway back to the point - i took the tyres off and replaced the worst of mine that had badly warn due to the wrong wheel alignment setting LR did. The next day my father in law drove the car 300 miles and complained that the car wouldnt change back up to 5/6 after kicking down. Went to the dealer and they told me it was due to the adaptive gearbox with my father in law driving it and it being adapted to me. So they reset adaptive and still the same.

They finally decided the fault was some valve plate within the gearbox and changed it. Then the 2 week wait whilst LR and their technicans tried to work out how to programme the plate. After fitting it and doing what LR said the car refused to drive. Finally via the wire LR did it themselves.

Got the car back and still same thing. Took it back and they told me car had a puncture (courtesy of their test drive) so the tyre pressure was out and this causes different speeds of wheels - ECU thinks car is cornering and it stops the gearbox from changing gear!!

So it appears that by switching the tyres the ECU which monitors the speed of each wheel confused it and it stopped changing gear!!

The dealer had checked it prior to the work but they said although there was different speeds measured by the ECU they felt it was within the normal tolerance - that will be LR and their forever changing definition of normal tolerance.

My advice having bought several sets of tyres recently is buy 2 new ones and leave the rears where they are. The fronts and rears wear differently and when you swap them over the steering feels different - heavier - and with 2 new tyres its nice not to have the expense of 4 tyres at once and the steering will feel like you just added a trubo to the pump

An alternative if the tyres are not rotaional would be to turn it around on the rim

R
ian

Post #57059327th Dec 2009 7:45 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

FFRR (L322) 06my onwards fit, have a look at sticky in Wheels & Tyre section. I've got 19" FFRR wheels on my D3 at the mo.

Post #57060327th Dec 2009 8:20 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

...or check out the wiki section.
http://disco3.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Rims/Al...iscovery_3

Thumbs Up
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #57060927th Dec 2009 8:29 pm
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Chancer wrote:
Using the ...Just when I thought I would never find a good use for the mother-in-law the Disco3.co.uk forum comes up trumps again Bow down...

Don't forget about MIL Mode (AKA Access/Off Road Raised Modes). This is a less than nice trick for the MIL. Before she gets out, just ask her to wait while you adjust the height of the D3. Instead of going into Access Mode, raise it to Off Road Mode and chuckle as she tumbles out. Caution: Do not use this MIL Mode if there is any chance of anything other than pride being hurt. If questions are asked (usually by SWIIBTO - She Who It Is Best To Obey) say that you "accidentaly selected the wrong mode and it takes a while to get used to the complex electronics of the D3". Probably can only use this one a maximum of 2 times before they wake up to it.
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #57072028th Dec 2009 2:28 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

DSL wrote:
FFRR (L322) 06my onwards fit....
Not on the V8 at the front though it seems, don't forget they've got larger brakes The End  
Post #57079728th Dec 2009 12:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >