Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Front brake discs warping, again.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
DonFromCanada

2011 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeLR4

Ive also got a rattling headliner.. It's the bit where the map lights are ... How did yours get fixed?

LT wrote:
al cope wrote:
now you dont want me telling you this, but..............................

I had the front hubs replaced on mine too - made no difference Big Cry

I wonder which poor sop (soory, D4 owner) has it now?

Al

Shocked Big Cry

If this doesn't work, I'll have given the dealers more than sufficient opportunity to remedy the problem and I'll be formally rejecting the vehicle. Which would be a shame, as now the inevitable new Disco minor teething problems have been sorted (boot shut adjustment, rattling headliner, rear sun blind flying open), it's a cracking vehicle.

Post #167495030th Jun 2016 1:46 am
DonFromCanada

I've been following this thread a while... Has nobody tried replacing the calipers and cradles? It could be the Pistons in the calipers are off, or the cradle is warped and causing excessive heat?

Have they done a pressure test of the braking system, or done a complete brake system flush and refill?

Post #167495130th Jun 2016 1:50 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have just experienced this phenomenon on a D3 fitted with D4 brakes, I suspected the near side was the culprit, I have just changed that side and it has cured the vibration, on examining the removed disc the outer circumference of the wear face's had worn more than the inner circumference by 1.5 mm the outer face of the disc is worse than the inner face. There is no measurable signs of distortion checked with a straight edge.
Could uneven wear like this cause the pistons to bind as they are not pushing square?

What can cause a disc to wear like this?- could it be the outside edge on the near side is more susceptible to road grit and water being picked up.
These discs have done about 10k miles and both have been changed and the off side had even wear.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #167497630th Jun 2016 7:26 am
DonFromCanada

I just did the fronts on my D4 and both outer pads were worn much more than the inner pad.

Post #167497830th Jun 2016 7:28 am
cornishboy

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

So time to resurrect this D4 brake wobble when braking from speed. I am on my fifth set of brake discs/pads, new hubs and new front suspension bushes...... Guess what the wobble returns. Seems to be every 3-5k miles or so.

LR are having it back in Sept as they said the bushes would Def sort it out but again they are wrong. This has been going on for almost a year now for me and clocked up 25k over the time. I can hear the 'wear and tear' phrase looming.

But I am not giving up as this was picked up 30k miles ago.

I wonder what they can replace now?

Post #169689727th Aug 2016 4:33 pm
DonFromCanada

Brutal. I've got a case open because the wear sensor is on the inside pad, and in both cases where my right side rotors got ground down, it only happened on the outside pad.

Lots of meat left on the inner pad on the right side (front and back), and lots of meat left on both pads on the left side of the vehicle (front and back)...

Only the outside pads on the right side of the vehicle wore down 5-6 times faster than the inside right pads or the pads on the left side.

Super-weird.

Post #169692427th Aug 2016 5:13 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

If I were you I'd get Marcus to come and have a look at your brakes.

You can find him here..

http://www.discskimmers.com/

He is, without doubt IMHO the absolute guru of ANYTHING problematic with any brakes on any vehicle.

Read his testimony on his website.

I've used him for our RS4 and he is fantastic.

I think I've plugged him before on this thread but you really will benefit from him seeing your vehicle if there's a brake problem.

End of lesson....

Thumbs Up

Post #169694527th Aug 2016 6:22 pm
800jimbo

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I've just had pads & disks changed following braking issues - unfortunately that didn't help so it's gone to LR.

The problem seems to be binding front brakes with the front nearside being worst - I notice that a couple of people mentioned the front NS on this thread so am wondering whether this is common? It seems that they rub, get hotter and bind more but will then free off at some stage when stopped and be better until the next drive - I couldn't get a clear pattern as it got very bad over a couple of days so quickly arranged LR Assist to take it away.

LR's opening gambit was that it's parking brakes and as the disks are non LR parts (pads & disks (not shoes) fitted by our company fitter) the work won't be covered by warranty. I said we should see what the problem is first and then we can discuss where the responsibility lies.

Post #172573828th Oct 2016 11:50 am
FISHBOY

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Sorry to hear the dramas, but is this vibration evident only when braking at speed or throughout the entire speed range?

The reason I ask is that I have a vibration under acceleration between 50-70mph.

Post #172574328th Oct 2016 12:22 pm
800jimbo

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I have had two sort of vibration:
1. Mild vibration on heavy braking (no longer evident after new pads & disks, although only had them for a couple of days)
2. Vibration when driving along after a period which seemed to be associated with brakes sticking slightly and getting hotter and not evident after stopping and brakes seeming to have freed themselves off.

Post #172574828th Oct 2016 12:31 pm
al cope

England 

the underlying issue is that its cheaper for LR to throw discs and pads at what it now a non production model than it is to find the cause. I think it was a caliper issue on mine, but LR were not prepared to replace these under warrenty, and I wasnt going to pay for them either!

LR just reclaim the money from the disc supply so LR wont fix this problem

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #172577028th Oct 2016 1:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cornishboy

Mine is now going back to LR for the 4th time this year for the same issue.

First it was discs/pads
Second - lower wishbone bushes
Third - over tightened front wheels
now fourth..... we will see??

Post #172591128th Oct 2016 5:53 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mine are doing it again. Rolling Eyes

Changed discs for after market last time.

This time discs and aftermarket pads.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #172616329th Oct 2016 5:12 am
800jimbo

Mine's back home now - rear shoes replaced as they were 'starting to break up', which was nothing to do with the problem (but I assume common which is why they went looking for them) and the footbrake switch which was replaced a month ago for a different issue was replaced again as it was sticky, meaning the brakes were being held on slightly.

So far so good.

Post #17280982nd Nov 2016 9:57 am
cornishboy

To keep this thread going....

LR dealer has had my car for 5 days now and refuse to put another (4th or 5th I can't remember) set of brake pads and/or discs on it.

They got LR technical involved who are now confused and cannot find an issue Question Shocked

I still have a 2016 D4 to drive around in but this is getting silly.

LR technical ('the gurus') should be able to solve this one surely?

Post #173249911th Nov 2016 7:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >