Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Front knocking noise from steering at low speeds
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ljason286

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
Front knocking noise from steering at low speeds

My 56 reg lr3 has a knocking noise from the front some were only at low speed and when turning hard or turning when going over bumps.
Took in to delaers two weeks ago and the dum bird on the desk said you can wait it only needs greaseing.
I said what needs greaseing she said i don,t know.
Waited for 2 hours got car back driving down road still the same fault.
Looked under car at the front suspension all i can see is copper slip all over the wish bone.

Any ideas Big Cry

Post #34532717th Sep 2008 8:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

On the wishbone? No, it should go on the steering stops. Pics here:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic7933.ht...ring+stops

If that doesn't sort it, it may be the steering column. Up to 06 there was a problem with a collar on the lower end of the column knocking at low speeds. It may also be the steering rack (my 06 pished grease out of the top of the rack where the column enters it and it knocked like a barn door in a gale).
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #34537617th Sep 2008 9:37 pm
j,moore

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Atacama SandDiscovery 3

mine sounds to have a simlar problem to yours. only noticeable when moving slowly whilst going over bumps, more noticeable off road. i'm going to ask my stealer to have a look when i take it in for a service next. Thumbs Up

Post #35034626th Sep 2008 9:42 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The sould be a TSB for it steering rack or steering arms. Gives a knock going over small bumps, definately a warrranty job. Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #35049427th Sep 2008 1:58 am
DiscoJools

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Front suspension knocking

Have knocking noise over small bumps no matter where the steering is pointed. Balljoints have been changed and last thing was steering column bearing I think. Car out of warranty just but I think I can get dealer to try and fix the prob. Trouble is difficult to replicate the fault on the smooth streets of Malvern (in Melb). I hear it everytime I drive down my dirt road.

Discojools
 2.7 D4 eDiff, Traxide Dual battery, Safari Snorkel...Opposite Lock winch bar..extra set 17" wheels with 245/70/17 BFG KM2 MTs..Warrior winch..Long range tank.
1982 2dr RRC renovated.
1983 Range Rover 2dr fitted with 300Tdi (with bigger turbo), 40mm body lift, Warn 9000i winch and BFG MT 265/75/16. Rear Maxidrive locker
1976 Landcruiser BJ40 with tipper body for the farm!! 

Post #35194330th Sep 2008 12:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Sounds like what I had something to do with steering rack only noticable on uneven roads. Do a search for 'steering knock'. It doesn't sound like the contrl arm bushes or ball joints that is more of a 'clunk' than a knock. Rolling Eyes
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #35194430th Sep 2008 12:35 am
geoffd53

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I drove several D3 's prior to their realese date in 05 and felt the same thing. I mentioned to the official tech. that was with us and he told us it was steering feedback. That's why it only does it on dirt roads. Confused
 My 08 SE. TdV6 ARB Winch Bar Colour coded. Dual batteries, Snorkel, Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch.Now with Kaymar rear bar and ARB compressor fitted under bonnet.  
Post #3525611st Oct 2008 5:40 am
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Had this problem and had steering shaft changed it had a slight click on the joint when they took it off. Better now than when it was new.
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #3528811st Oct 2008 6:41 pm
ljason286

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
Re: Front knocking noise from steering at low speeds

ljason286 wrote:
My 56 reg lr3 has a knocking noise from the front some were only at low speed and when turning hard or turning when going over bumps.
Took in to delaers two weeks ago and the dum bird on the desk said you can wait it only needs greaseing.
I said what needs greaseing she said i don,t know.
Waited for 2 hours got car back driving down road still the same fault.
Looked under car at the front suspension all i can see is copper slip all over the wish bone.

Any ideas Big Cry

Big Cry been to dealer today
Left the car there all day picked it up and got it home had a look and all the dealer has done is greased the bump stop cups
This has been done 2 time now and stilll the fault is there Big Cry
What more can i do

Post #3528871st Oct 2008 7:01 pm
alanwxr

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Same as 'chesters' mine had the knock and mechanic had diagnosed before we drove out of garage.

Apparently a well-known problem and is now better than new Wink

Post #3528921st Oct 2008 7:20 pm
caverD3

Jason, go to a deasler who knows what he is doing. Wink

Others may have a beter idea which one.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #3531482nd Oct 2008 1:36 am
caverD3

This is the one I was thinking of:

Received this today from my dealer, he has ordered the part.

Models: LA - Discovery 3
LS - Range Rover Sport
Title: FAQ 22241 - Steering light knock over bumps.
Engineer Name: Townsend, Ken
Last Modified: 24-APR-06
Category: Chassis
Symptom: 303000 Steering/Handling
Content: User will report light knock over bumps. Some will show slight free play in steering.
Cause is LOWER steering shaft (Under bonnet) NOT the steering rack.
With vehicle static engine off check for free play in steering aprox +/- 3 degrees, with gentle input.
Also some vehicles may exhibit a light knock on uneven surfaces between 10 to 15 mph.
If the shaft is the cause please use new part number QMN500240 (RHD) or QMN500250 (LHD) to repair as this has improved characteristics for noise. Part was introduced to production at L319 - LA390436
L320 - LS956379. If shaft does not resolve knocking noise please submit an EPQR and contact dealer technical support.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #3531502nd Oct 2008 1:42 am
alanwxr

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

That's the one caverD3 Wink

Post #3531942nd Oct 2008 8:52 am
Craig S-L

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Steering rack or wishbone problems are well known and every dealer must have repaired several under warranty (certainly Stratstone HW where I take mine knew all about it and completed the work with no complaints). Sounds like you need a new dealer.
 Craig

2015 D? SDV6 HSE Loire Blue
2009 D4 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
2006 G4 Challenge V8 HSE (Gone, but fuel bills not forgotten!)
Media Support Vehicle Stage 1 & 2 Thailand and Laos
Driven by Rudi Thoelen, 2003 Winner 

Post #3532632nd Oct 2008 11:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >