Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Fuel Additives

How they work?

Do the clean the engine?

Do they decrease consumption?

...... local dealer wanted £75 to add it and promised the above.... I wasnt sure....
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #55055713th Nov 2009 9:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Archeci

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hello Neil

I have personally used BG244 in our D3, I put it in a few weeks ago when it began feeling sluggish, shame it was the EGR valves in reality. Both myself and my partner commented that the D3 did feel a little better. Its not cheap but certainly less than your dealer is wanting.

I also tend to treat the D3 to a bottle of Redex diesel cleaner every now and again, I have given the D3 a full tank of Morrisons diesel this morning and shall be putting the Redex in shortly. It is getting a run down to the NEC later today to see the boys at Top Gear Live so will see how it goes.

http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/news/bg-244-for-diesel/33/

Lee
 Tonga Green TDV6 S

Remember laughing or smiling confuses the management. 

Last edited by Archeci on 14th Nov 2009 3:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #55057313th Nov 2009 9:34 am
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

I've used BG 44K (the petrol version of BG244) on my classic car. It is expensive, and I'm not sure I noticed much of a difference, if any. I occasionally put a little ATF in the fuel and drive a short distance before filling up (old car again). ATF has incredible properties and I know many who use it just prior to an oil change. I have seen the difference in this case. A bit of ATF in the oil and then a short run before an oil change will clean a great deal of the carbon off the rockers, cover, etc. It's quite an amazing difference. On old FI cars it will also clean the injectors well. However, I've never put it into the D3 - never had the balls, but can't see why a little would hurt. There are a few views on using ATF in this way on the interweb; some positive and some negative, but as ever nothing conclusive.

I don't think I'll bother with additives, but may ask around sometime and see if anyone uses ATF in more modern cars and what the thinking is.
 PAGODA  
Post #55058313th Nov 2009 9:48 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Re: Fuel Additives

NeilD wrote:
How they work?

1. Do they clean the engine?

2. Do they decrease consumption?

...... local dealer wanted £75 to add it and promised the above.... I wasnt sure....

1. To varying degrees YES, if used once in a blue moon then you might not see much difference, i use redex in every 5th tank, and for me the collective effect of continued use is that mpg is increased a bit and performance is a bit sharper. don't expect miracles the first time you use it, but if it becomes a habit you will have a clean engine that is performing efficiently and producing less co2, hence why adding some before MOT is a good idea!

2. No, in fact the opposite

....local dealer is taking the p Censored s at £75 Rolling Eyes

Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #55059713th Nov 2009 10:15 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I use Forte diesel treatment every 5000 miles and it does seem to help make the engine run a bit smoother
I know the dealer I use sometimes uses Forte engine cleaner at every oil change and that always seems to make a big improvement over an oil change alone
 The End  
Post #55064613th Nov 2009 11:21 am
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Doesn't using the expensive diesel (Ultimate/VPower/Excellium etc) have much the same effect as adding an additional fuel additive?
(takes cover)
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #55066013th Nov 2009 11:36 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It helps but not completely, I use Vpower 90% of the time and still find the Forte stuff makes a difference
 The End  
Post #55066213th Nov 2009 11:37 am
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I use the local OBI product for 7 CHF per tank (about 4 quid). Halfords will probably do something similar.
Dosage, once every 5000km, or in winter, with every tank full.

A bit if googling shows

They often contain explosive materials such as nitrated ethers (2 Ethyl Hexyl Nitrate) which obviously helps the combustion process and therefore increases the cetane number. Other additives improve lubricity for the fuel pump and to stop diesel freezing in winter.

Cetane is (C16H34) found in the diesel distillate range in small quatities and is used as a relative (percent) combustion measure (the Cetane number CN). Ordinary diesel has a CN of 40 to 45 and is 40 to 45% as combustible as Cetane. Premium diesels have a CN of 45-50. Cetane improvers can give you about an extra 6 CN points but it is a law of deminishing returns leveling off at about CN 50.

I found that shell V Power plus added CN improver didnt do much. Ordinary diesel with CN improver seemed better (even than V Power) for my particular engine remap. It's a lot cheaper too.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #55102513th Nov 2009 10:03 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

A long thread on Freel2.com about 2 stroke oil instead of fuel treatment. Well worth a read

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html?highlight=stroke+oil

FWIW, i use it in my car, and noticed a big reduction is smoke levels and slight improvement in fuel consumption Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #55114614th Nov 2009 10:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Archeci

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

That certainly makes interesting reading. Not sure if I am brave enough to start putting 2 stroke oil in with the diesel.

Lee
 Tonga Green TDV6 S

Remember laughing or smiling confuses the management. 

Post #55119414th Nov 2009 3:45 pm
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Have used the Forte Diesel engine oil flush in my D1 many times and all of the Forte products seem to be well rated in the Trade so no doubt their fuel additive is worth a try.

Have seen the 2 stroke oil article on many 4x4 forums - usually where there's a section about the use of cooking oil or bio fuel instead of regular diesel. I've used 2 stroke oil in my D1 and my D3 and I reckon its regular use does reduce smoke.
 Clubs Mantec, Tasmods, LEDS, AT2s on 18s, Maxxis Bighorns on 17s, Remote FBH, BAS. ReMap, BSS., RLD Personalised SWP., Safari Snorkel, Faultmate, Three Musketeers & MUD

Post #55122714th Nov 2009 5:58 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

Disco_Mikey - thanks for posting that thread. There are a number of other car sites where the issue of 2 stroke oil is debated, or rather it's talked about as being a good thing with no-one saying it's a bad thing. At least from what I've seen.

I know many people who use it on every tank with their petrol vehicles, (older cars). I run an old Merc and many on our forum and in the MB club use 2 stroke in the petrol to lubricate the mechanical FI pumps, the earlier ones of which had no oil line from the engine. I'm going to give it a try on the Disco also. The guy who seems to have done most of the posts in your link is right about the fact that mineral 2 stroke and diesel combine perfectly well and at the sort of ratios he's talking about (300ml per tank) I can't see there being any likelihood of damage in a diesel engine.

(Disclaimer: I know bu&&er all about modern diesels).
 PAGODA  
Post #55125414th Nov 2009 7:46 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

NP, cant remember how i came across that thread...

Anyone know if it can be used on a petrol to lower emmisions? Got a vectra currently I cant get past an MOT because of high CO. Already had a new cat and lambda sensor...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #55126514th Nov 2009 8:28 pm
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Got to be worth a try!
 Clubs Mantec, Tasmods, LEDS, AT2s on 18s, Maxxis Bighorns on 17s, Remote FBH, BAS. ReMap, BSS., RLD Personalised SWP., Safari Snorkel, Faultmate, Three Musketeers & MUD

Post #55127314th Nov 2009 8:43 pm
Willy Eckerslike

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Mineral Two stroke oil as an additive Question

Ever seen a clean two stroke engine,

just call me a cynic but I think it's B Censored S
 Club Pie n Pea
One life....Fish it
D3 Gone but not forgotten
Club Men of Oak
Club Walnut sniffers
D4 Van owner
Ents long lost Uncle