Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Fuel Burning Heater (FBH) not starting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 9 <123456789>
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The heater continues to run for as long as it's told to (which is the whole journey if the external temp stays below six). However, as the coolant comes up to temperature, the heater reduces the amount of fuel it burns, a bit like turning a stove down to a simmer. If the coolant temp drops, it burns more. Even though fuel use may have dropped to less than 10%, the fans continue to run.
When people say it shuts down when up to temperature, they really mean it's stopped burning rather than off.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #57027625th Dec 2009 10:28 pm
Reggieb

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Came out tonight, car heavily frosted up after being parked up for 12 hours, external zero, still no sign of it firing up. Had the two multi plugs removed for 24 hrs, still not firing up..... Big Cry Big Cry
Thank God the seats and front screen heaters work Exclamation

Yes I have put the plugs back in.... Whistle
 TDV6 HSE - Light Guards - White Reflective Sticker
Club--Engel
Club--Satnav on the move (Thanks Pete)
Club--Kumho KL71 (265/70 17) they kick!
Club--Three Musketeers
Club--GNVP Sump Guard (The nuts)
Disco3Club
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. 

Post #57028725th Dec 2009 11:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pauleline

Netherlands 
FBH topics season early this year!

Hi all,

I've just joined the Club FBH Timer Installed. Thought it would be best to get everything installed before the cold season starts, just to be prepared. I immediatly ran into the problem that the FHB starts upon press of the flame button on the timer, but then shuts down pretty much immediately after the first plume of smoke...

Want to try the trick woody32 described with pulling the plug 3 secs after pressing flame button etc. but just need to ask if this is done when car has gone to sleep or with engine running / key in position 2?

Also have seen posts on the Webasto test program (PC) in combination with a USB to ODBII lead. But I cannot find the USB-ODBII lead on ebay for the relatively low price as in the posts. Is it not possible to make your own lead or is there more involved than wires & plugs?

Regards, Paul[/b]

Post #68172311th Aug 2010 2:37 pm
Trackman

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Try here,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-OBD2-KKL-Interfa...3f00af64d4

This is the one I have and it works.

Ian.

Post #68178611th Aug 2010 5:59 pm
Trackman

Should add that you need to make sure the car has shut down comletely before using the timer.

The easy way is to set the timer to come on 15mins ( at least 10mins ) after locking the car. Don't open the car if the timer is running as this will shut down the FBH.

Ian.

Post #68178811th Aug 2010 6:07 pm
pauleline

Netherlands 

Great, thanks Trackman!
Thumbs Up

Just ordered one from your link and downloaded the software from the Webasto site. Now hoping for fast delivery......

Thanks again, regards, Paul

Post #68186511th Aug 2010 10:10 pm
CJM625

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I had problems at first but it was down to me trying to many times to quickly when the vehilce wasn't ready!

Take a deep breath, open your hood and dont open or close doors etc, unplug the main power from the FBH, wait 10 mins then plug it all back in, wait a further 5 mins and try again - once!

I also installed an led between the pin 2 and earth so you can "see" the pulses being sent to start and stop the FBH.

Mine works a treat now and I've even got an original Webasto telestart unit to work with it using a relay Wink
 2015 BMW i3 REX
2014 Golf GTD DSG 

Post #68251314th Aug 2010 10:21 am
pauleline

Netherlands 

Hi CJM625,

I'll give it all a try. Also eagerly awaiting the arrival of the USB - OBDII interface so I can attack the FBH with the Webasto software. As stated elswhere on the forum: It's WAR and about time to show the FBH who's the Boss Twisted Evil

Re. the Telestart RC: which model ot the telestart have you used? And could you post some information on how to connect / install at the FBH and/or the Webasto 1533 timer? That would help a lot.
Bow down

Thanks, regards, Paul

Post #68254614th Aug 2010 12:27 pm
Trackman

Assume you have seen this link...

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=613440#613440

and this for the timer

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic15454.html

Ian

Post #68267315th Aug 2010 12:50 am
CJM625

I used a T70 telestart that I bought on flea bay new, boxed for £100 - he has more BTW.....

When activated the T70 gives a latched +12v out that I simply wired to a 4 pin relay that I used to "activate" the button on my oval timer.

To turn the FBH on I have to press "on" then "off" and it comes on straight away,

I'll fit a simple relay timer when I get time and do a "how to" when its working how it should ie press on and thats it done Wink

Telestart wiring is:

RED +12v
Brown Earth
BLACK +12v switched output when activated

Simples Thumbs Up
 2015 BMW i3 REX
2014 Golf GTD DSG 

Post #68273615th Aug 2010 1:14 pm
pauleline

Netherlands 

@ Trackman:

Yes, I'm well aware of both topics. Timer has been fitted based on the instructions of first link, and the reason I have bought the USB-OBDII interface is the other one. Think I have read both topics more than the average member since the FBH started it's "war on the owner"..... Thanks for reminding me though. Thumbs Up

@ CJM625:

Great, I'll have a look at the T70 telestart. I take it the range on those units would be pretty decent? Alternative would be a RF Solutions unit such as the Viper or Hornet, that have a range of +/- 150 mtr. (line of sight). Those are frequently used by other members and seem to be OK.

Regards, Paul

Post #68293216th Aug 2010 8:35 am
CJM625

Range is mega, up to 600 meters or 1000 meters on the T91!

This is very much a "work in progress" yes it works 100% but I'd like to try it with a unit that gives an indication on the handset that shows the FBH hass been activated such as the T91 as I have to hang out of the window at the mo to hear it powering up lol, I could put a light on it, but where's the fun in that?

Currently I have two options to start it, first is to press "on" and it will turn on in 10 mins - perfect for me as I take 30 mins to get ready and it seems the FBH gets the vehicle to normal temp in 20 mins OR you can press "on" then "off" for instant warm up cycle. I'd really need to combine it with a timer relay so you only need to press the on button once to turn it on full stop!

When I've finished it so that it works properly i.e. one touch on the "on" I'll post a full "how to" and give people the option of the two methods, with or without extra timer relays.
 2015 BMW i3 REX
2014 Golf GTD DSG 

Post #68293516th Aug 2010 8:46 am
pauleline

Netherlands 
Update on FBH War - VICTORY

Hi all,

just to update you on the results of my latest effort in getting the FBH to work: Victory is mine !!! Razz Laughing

I had ordered the USB to OBDII lead from the internet and when it arrived I made up the required loom as per the instruction in this forum. Then installed the Webasto software (ver. 2.11) on a laptop and connected everything to the car battery / FBH. At last I was winning the battle: could read out the stored errors (just 2), cleared them and then started the FBH with the software.

I was greeted with the welcoming sound of a working FBH for the first time. I shut down after some minutes but I blame that on the closing of the driver's door. Not only opening the door wakes the car up but also closing it. This also presented me with another error code that I cleared at once. Next I had the timer switch the FHB on while I was looking at the laptop screen as if it were the next episode of Californication. I had the full 30 minutes of burntime and the water temparature reached a good 90C.

So, at last I'm very happy with the FBH. Looks like I am in for a nice, warm winter. Now just have to wait for the cold mornings to verify that the car and FBH do what they should do....

My advice to all with problems re. the FBH is buy yourself a cheap VAG USB to OBDII lead from the internet and download the Webasto software. You will be able to read error codes (double click will bring up a good description of the error codes), clear them, and manipulate the burner. Will not only save you lots of money you would otherwise spend at the dealer or Webasto service centre, but also provide the satisfaction of showing the FBH who's really in charge! Thumbs Up

Regards, Paul.

Post #6902817th Sep 2010 11:03 am
redlabel

Norway 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

^^ where can I get this SW? Will it work on the Thermo Top V?

Post #71558512th Nov 2010 11:34 pm
pauleline

Netherlands 

Hi redlabel,

the software can be downloaded from the following site: http://www.techwebasto.com/heater_thermo_test.htm.

I don't know if it will work with the TT V, but suspect yes since you can choose which unit you have. The TT V is not in the list but if it uses the W-bus than you're OK. Have a look at the operating instruction for the software on the same site.

Good luck.

PM: My FBH is now running smoothly, either through timer start or when the preset conditions (< 5 deg. etc.) are met. Next mod will be to add a GSM unit. I quite like the Telcon 500 of quantek.co.uk. Now available for GBP 80 special price... Thumbs Up

Post #71623015th Nov 2010 11:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 9 <123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >