Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Fuel Burning Heater (FBH) not starting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 9 <123456789>
mattgreen

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I'm just about to venture outside into the cold to plug in my wiring harness and use the Webasto software to kick the FBH into life - once I've wired in the final bit that is...I'll report back

Post #71642015th Nov 2010 8:16 pm
mattgreen

mattgreen wrote:
I'm just about to venture outside into the cold to plug in my wiring harness and use the Webasto software to kick the FBH into life - once I've wired in the final bit that is...I'll report back

Right, it's +5℃ and I stood out in the dark with a head torch on frightening the neighbours.

I built the wiring loom as described here ==> http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic43944-105.html

The GOOD NEWS is the wiring loom worked - I was able to connect to the FBH and cleared 3 faults:-

- a no start fault
- interlock fault
- vehicle almost out of fuel fault

After clearing them & reconnecting the FBH to the vehicle bus it started up first time and gave the tell-tale plume of smoke followed by just hot exhaust gas - this continued even on a 5 mile drive - but it did get the temperature up quickly.

One thing I didn't do was make the link for pin 5 on the FBH (diesel pump) as I didn't have to hand the correct size pin to push into the FBH connector.

I did tell the software to run the Parking Heating test which immediately caused a lockout ("interlock 2") and the sound of a relay clicking. This wouldn't clear until I removed and reconnected the power to the FBH and then clicked Clear Faults in software.

I'm now prepared for the next lockout but with some cold weather coming I hope it stays working.

Post #71652915th Nov 2010 10:28 pm
mattgreen

After the initial excitement it's back to earth with FBH failing to start...here's what happens:-

Engine is cold and it's 4 degrees ambient.
Start engine, small plume of smoke for about 30 to 60 secs then it stops..
Checked the error codes, there is a "no start" error, code 02

Does anyone know what that means?

My next step is to run it through a full test burn cycle.

Does it sound like the FBH is causing this or the vehicle CAN telling it to stop?

Post #71724517th Nov 2010 3:27 pm
pauleline

Netherlands 

Hi Matt,

so that's bad news for you.... I am having more luck since my FBH now is working as it should, either timed or fired up by the vehicle CAN.

I think you can double click on the error messages in the Webasto software and it will bring up a new windows with some more text, a better description of the problem. Maybe that will tell you what you need to know.

Good luck, Paul

Post #71726117th Nov 2010 4:21 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

mattgreen wrote:

One thing I didn't do was make the link for pin 5 on the FBH (diesel pump) as I didn't have to hand the correct size pin to push into the FBH connecto.

It will never work correctly with out this connection .

I have the software and the loom and it works great ...but you do need all the correct wires to make up the circuit Whistle
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #71726617th Nov 2010 4:29 pm
hensoni

United Kingdom 

Yeovil LR have just sorted mine (cue the return of warm weather...).

The FBH Fuel pump was knackered and it gave all sorts of seemingly unrelated fault codes (including CAN failure, lockout and no flame) and delivered only a dribble of fuel.
 Club missing my D3  
Post #71726917th Nov 2010 4:32 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
These things have a mind of their own!

So the FBH was not working - three really cold mornings (ignoring whatever the display might say) with ice on ground, and no action. So off to dealer - 2 hours later they decide there is nothing wrong THAT THEY CAN FIND, so it must be a wiring fault, and, by the way, the extended warranty we sold you doesn't cover wires.

So I go home and try the fuse out after it has gone to sleep trick - out for hour and a half as I got involved in something else that was more fun. Still no play.

Then Sunday at the ad-hoc play at Drumclog I'd gone off and left it idling for a while. I got called over by someone who had spotted the slight smoke from the exhaust. Yes - it was working!

So I've got one that doesn't heat the engine up if cold - but keeps it warm one it's running. Another undocumented feature.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #71729117th Nov 2010 5:12 pm
RMB

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have bit the bullit and ordered a Faultmate
Mr. Green Big Cry Censored Thumbs Up
 B-A-S Remap Interface giving me control over my remap 

Last edited by RMB on 8th Dec 2010 8:17 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #7249953rd Dec 2010 12:10 am
paul john

Estonia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

which fuse do i take out the 25 amp which is shown on the fuse diagram in the lid of the fuse box for the fule system can you help getting cold here will be -20 soon hope to get this thign working or winter with disco will be hell
 p.gaydon  
Post #7284038th Dec 2010 8:14 pm
D8jbg

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 3
a quick fix

a good way to stop your fbh from smoking to much is to use a fuel flush like redex. the main reason for the large plumes of smoke is due to incompleet combustion on older models. i stripped mine down and found that it was full of coke i chose not to clean it but to run some treatment in the fuel to see what hapend and it didnt get rid of the whole lot but it cleaned it enough to help it along a bit.

Post #72998711th Dec 2010 6:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
geirstein

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Faultmate cured the FBH problem....

Once the could weather arrived here in Norway, and I remained cold after a longer trip in my 2005 D3, I realised that the FBH had stopped working. After cehcking relevant postings in this forum, I decided to get hold of Colin's (BBS Spy) FCR Faultmate (the fuse trick did not work....).

A couple of days later, the Faultmate arrived. After plugging in this device and clearing 3 fault codes related to the FBH, I started up the car and the FBH fired immediately. Now the missis is warm and happy, and I am very thankfull to this wonderful device from BBS Spy Thumbs Up .

Thanks a lot to this forum and to Colin!!!! Very Happy

Best regards, Geir Sheep

Post #73045412th Dec 2010 8:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
paul john

Estonia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
Re: Faultmate cured the FBH problem....

geirstein wrote:
Once the could weather arrived here in Norway, and I remained cold after a longer trip in my 2005 D3, I realised that the FBH had stopped working. After cehcking relevant postings in this forum, I decided to get hold of Colin's (BBS Spy) FCR Faultmate (the fuse trick did not work....).

A couple of days later, the Faultmate arrived. After plugging in this device and clearing 3 fault codes related to the FBH, I started up the car and the FBH fired immediately. Now the missis is warm and happy, and I am very thankfull to this wonderful device from BBS Spy Thumbs Up .

Thanks a lot to this forum and to Colin!!!! Very Happy

Best regards, Geir Sheep

how do i get one of these faultmates sounds really good ????
 p.gaydon  
Post #73047512th Dec 2010 8:26 pm
mellington

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Look on the bright side, my FBH has been working but melting a pipe in the suspension which lead to a burn our compressor. Trust me, I would have been happier with a slightly lower mpg and a bit of cold.

Post #73049212th Dec 2010 8:46 pm
geirstein

Re: Faultmate cured the FBH problem....

paul john wrote:

how do i get one of these faultmates sounds really good ????

Paul J,

send a PM to Colin (BBS Spy)!

Best regards, Geir Wink

Post #73056612th Dec 2010 10:26 pm
geirstein

Guess I was a bit to quick on the trigger here....problem with DBH not solved, even with the Faultmate...... Crying or Very sad

Still cold outside, and this morning the FBH fired up as I drove the kid to school, but the engineheat did not come up as expected.

Further checks showed that the fault code B1D29 ("no start, even after restart attempt - component failure: No Operation-permanent") re-apperared after about 3 minutes after the FBH started, and shut down the FBH.

(Cleared the fault with the Faultmate between each attempt of course)

Have tried to search the forum for this fault code (B1D29), without finding an explanation/cause.

Any help here would be much appreciated.

Best regards, Geir Sheep

Post #73064413th Dec 2010 9:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 9 <123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >