Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Fuel consumption just got better
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Fuel consumption just got better

For some unknown reason our fuel consumption in our Tdv6 S Auto has apparently suddenly improved from an average of just under 24mpg to over 27.5mpg. Laughing Confused The vehicle has now covered 20,000 miles and throughout that time the averages on the computer were showing between 23 and 24 mpg. We haven't changed driving style or type of journey but the computer is now reading 27.8mpg. (we have been resetting it about once a fortnight). The only possible reasons for this increase that I can think of is :

We fitted roof bars last weekend (but I would have expected that to increase not reduce fuel consumption) ?

We filled up on Shell Diesel Extra (but we regularly use "premium" diesel, most commonly BP Ultimate) ?

The Tyres are getting near their wear limit so possibly reduced friction (but I haven't changed the tyre pressures) ?

We have been getting a "Low Coolant" warning on the computer and indeed coolant is low. I cannot imagine how that would affect fuel consumption though ?

Possibly the computer itself is the source of the apparent increased MPG and maybe the real MPG is unchanged ?

Has anyone else had this (welcome) experience Question

And whilst writing - where has the "missing" coolant gone and can anyone recommend a good road tyre with half decent snow capability to fit a 255 60 R18 (apparently its going to be a severe winter ....!).
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #222349th Oct 2005 6:46 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Yeah mine did that suddenly when I reached about 8500 miles about 3 weeks ago, from not being able to get over 26.5mpg, I'm now consistently getting a reading of between 31-32mpg nothing else has changed. Confused
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #222389th Oct 2005 7:13 pm
kaney

HI smarticus
I'm about to try gen grabber at2's they look the biz have a look on 4x4tyre centre site or in a mag

Post #222409th Oct 2005 7:59 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Fuel consumption just got better

Smarticus wrote:
....can anyone recommend a good road tyre with half decent snow capability to fit a 255 60 R18 (apparently its going to be a severe winter ....!).
get a set of chains and keep your existing tyres???  
Post #222699th Oct 2005 10:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mines on 25000 and its averaging 25.3 mpg, that is an average over the last 4000 miles. I am not trying particularly hard to get good mpg, I just drive it. I don't thrash around, but I do like the performance.

My tyres look like about 2/3rds worn, but the inside edges are considerably worn on three of the tyres. Both the fronts, and the right hand rear have worn inner edges. I will be getting the alignment checked out soon, because my car is feeling as though its pulling left, and there is a post on RRSport.co.uk which covers this.

Post #222869th Oct 2005 11:07 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I have been carrying chains in the back of various cars for a couple of years now and I really don't want to any more ! They are universally such a pain to fit (frozen hands, broken fingers - or worse, and damaged car) that in practice you tend to avoid putting them on until after you have drifted off the road into that ditch or hit the car that has. Even then chains only come into their own in deep, compacted drifts, where even then once the vehicle is bellied out the chains actually serve no further purpose and the vehicle is there until the snow melts. No, all I want is a set of tyres with some proper tread. For the last 3 winters my E class merc has always got me home (despite living at 1,000ft well off the main routes in deepest rural northumberland) by simple virtue of using winter tyres between December and March. The only thing you cannot get past with snow tyres is the road wide tangle of other cars (including 4x4's) that have tyres built only for displacing water and sticking to dry tarmac, not gripping snow or ice. The reason more 4x4's are sold in the UK than any other country in Europe (despite being one of the least affected by snow) is that in the UK so few people realise that virtually any car with winter tyres is as good in ice and snow as a 4x4 with normal road tyres. The lack of winter tyres in the UK is also the reason that 2 inches of snow has the country grinding to a halt and the bodyshops full of tangled metal. Wranglers are to snow what ballet shoes are to fell walking.....
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #222879th Oct 2005 11:12 pm
110CSW

United Kingdom 

2000 miles on a manual diesel - 25 mpg so far.

Post #2389219th Oct 2005 11:00 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

i can only manage 19.5 mpg on mine and thats being carefull tdv6 auto, it has only done 750 miles when will it get better Crying or Very sad

shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #2391620th Oct 2005 7:38 am
Pelyma

England 

Shawn don't worry that is normal, around 5K it starts to loosen up and just gets better as time goes on. I've done 16500 and get 28-31 depending on how and where I drive. Follow BNs advice and you will notice a difference - there is a definate knack to it.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #2393020th Oct 2005 9:37 am
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

Pelyma wrote:
Shawn don't worry that is normal, around 5K it starts to loosen up and just gets better as time goes on. I've done 16500 and get 28-31 depending on how and where I drive. Follow BNs advice and you will notice a difference - there is a definate knack to it.

what is BN'S advise and what is the knack, i feel like i should have bought a petrol !!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #2395120th Oct 2005 1:04 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Basically peak torque is at 1900 RPM, keep close to this within about 500 RPM.
So change up gear before you hit 2400 and back down before it drops below about 1400. I find keeping the revs steady somwhere between 1500-1900 gives me best economy. If you're drving out of the best torque range you're just wasting fuel
 The End  
Post #2395320th Oct 2005 1:24 pm
BN

England 

Just remember, it is a universal vehicle made to tow, drive fast and yet cope with all terrain. It is not a BMW or Volvo hope to be a 4x4, so the power has been optimised at the low end torque range.

In some cases it may even involve driving in say 4 gear at 30mph to achieve the best mpg for long distances. It is not always the highest gear that benefits fuel conservation and economy.

High revs however do tend to be only a rich persons choice or if your not paying the fuel bill, see simple.

Post #2395420th Oct 2005 1:53 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The auto does tend to let the engine rev freely, it is not easy to keep the engine revs down and in the torque band. It is possible, but you have to be very careful about throttle opening and be very smooth.

I have developed a knack of releasing the throttle a touch to help it change up earlier, then reapplying throttle to use the torque, but not so much that it changes down again.

Even so, I am only averaging 25.3 after 27000 miles. I was hoping for more.

Post #2395820th Oct 2005 2:21 pm
BN

England 

Gareth wrote:
The auto does tend to let the engine rev freely, it is not easy to keep the engine revs down and in the torque band. It is possible, but you have to be very careful about throttle opening and be very smooth.

I have developed a knack of releasing the throttle a touch to help it change up earlier, then reapplying throttle to use the torque, but not so much that it changes down again.

Use sport mode in town and hold the gears in 30 and 40 mph zones a little longer. Stops the gears going up and down like a fiddlers elbow on the rev change speed.

Post #2396320th Oct 2005 2:32 pm
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:

Done 12k in mine (S auto) and average at least 30 mpg without much effort. 99.9% of my driving is on metaled roads though, and 90% of that is on m/ways at 65 (boring, but I pay the bills and keeps out of the way of 44 tonners pushing me from behind ). Tried for awhile being 6 feet away from the backs of trucks to see how the slipstream effect worked, but didn't see much difference, and anyway isn't good practice Twisted Evil .

I find it keeps to about 2k revs in the relevant gear if you just leave it alone...
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #2398420th Oct 2005 4:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >