Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Fuel Contamination
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Kieron

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Fuel Contamination

Having problems with my new diesel HSE (see Say Hello .. Wave Goodbye for full details) It now seems that they have found contamination in the fuel which is going to be sent away for analysis. I understand the contamination to be checmical rather than physical (i.e not something that would cause a blockage)

Has anyone else had any problems like this and can someone with a bit more technical knowledge than me explain how this would affect the car and what long term affects it might have? (difficult i guess without knowing the true nature of the contamination) We have checked with the service station that it was diesel we put it (even though I have had diesels for past 2 years) and they also confirm there were no other reported problems. We only fllled up once on the way home from picking up the car.

The reason I ask is that the car would run fine for 40 miles then cut out, refuse to start for a bit then start, then cut out again and then run fine again for 40 more miles (after a rest). The car has also been back in the workshop and ran fine, passed all diagnostics and then gone for a road test without an issue. My understanding is that any fuel contamination would cause a noticable problem all the time and not just randomly in between running smoothly?

Many thanks for any help or experience that people can offer.
 I don't dance but I do Disco  
Post #466539th Mar 2006 7:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I had a similiar problem on my Discovery II, Diesel. It would run then cut out. Leave it for an hour and it would restart, only to cut out again later.

After investigation, I was told it was contaminated fuel, or residual debris in the tank. I was told that there was an actuator along the way that controlled the fuel flow, which was becoming blocked over time with the contaminants. Once left standing, this actuator would open "ready for ignition" clearing the blockage temporarily.

After flushing and dilution with new clean fill up problem never recurred.

Not sure if this was the really dumbed down version for the customer [me] or they didn’t really have a clue, but seemed to make sense and as I say, the problem never occurred again.

All might be different on a D3, and you say your's may be chemical contamination.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #466639th Mar 2006 8:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >