Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Fuel guage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BrianX

Location: Bolton UK - it may be 'grim up north' but at least you get gravy on yer' chips.

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Fuel guage

Amongst all of the other D3 oddities, my latest addition has to be the 'remaining fuel' estimation made by the computer. The red warning light comes on on the fuel guage, and the computer tells me I have enough juice left for about 45 miles. Within 2-3 miles, the computer reading has dropped to around 15 miles, and within another couple of minutes it drops to zero. At this point a pit-stop at Tesco and 80L of fuel calms my nerves, and tells me that there must still have been at least 8L of diesel still in the tank (10% of it's capacity). Does this suggest a dodgy fuel-level sensor or computer (somebody is bound to blame it onthe turbochip ECU remap too). Any ideas? BTW The needle seems to register fine.
 '
'
'05 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'06 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'08 Freelander 2 - gone
'98 P38 V8/LPG - gone
'02 L322 V8 - gone
'02 Freelander 1 - gone
'05 Disco 3 TDV6 - SWMBO
'06 L322 V8 - current

Post #3285714th Dec 2005 3:16 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I've seen this too. Mine comes on at around 80 miles on the range and once down in the 40's rapidly reduces.

Best to hunt for fuel as soon as the light comes on or not even let it get to the warning at all.

Post #3285914th Dec 2005 8:33 am
Malcolm

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I have had this several times, the fault is linked to the rear sender in the fuel tank( 6 replacements in total) it then moves to the thrilling one of you have 100 miles to go and then the range drops at the rate of I mile every second till you hit zero range. So there you are in France do you believe a) the gauge, b) the estimated range? Go for the gauge but when you are on a motorway and the next exit is 23 miles-ish it makes for a nervous drive!!

Post #3286514th Dec 2005 9:39 am
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Read somewhere thats its not a good idea to run diesels on fumes.. Best to leave the sludge in the bottom of the tank ....

Had this myself. Got off the M5 with it saying 150 miles, and by the time I got home, it was down to 50.. and it was a 3 mile drive from the M way junction to home. I guess it's something to do with the rapid transit from a steady mpg to start stop mode ...
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #3287014th Dec 2005 9:53 am
CL

New Zealand 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Dealer had to replace the fuel tank in mine. From full tank everything was fine, after running 500 km the guage was still showing just under half full. Thonking this is great maybe I can expect 900 km per tank!.

At 650 km didn't feel comfortable running so long and still showing 'plenty of fuel' so pulled into fill up. Pumped 82 litres into a tank that holds just over 84 litres! Shocked

Was advised to keep fuel gauge at over half full while a new tank was ordered to be shipped out from UK. After 5 weeks had the tank replaced the fuel gauge now seems to represent what is in the tank. Range display now makes more sence.

Apparently mine was not the only one in the batch shipped down here with this problem.
 DS4 SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey  
Post #3291314th Dec 2005 11:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BrianX

Location: Bolton UK - it may be 'grim up north' but at least you get gravy on yer' chips.

Another one for the list of 'jobs-to-do' then! First service please mister....and while it's there could you sort the fuel guage, seat memory, mirrors, radio buttons, seat memory, heated screen, dimming NAV, nagging wife, b***ard kids etc. etc. etc. Whistle
 '
'
'05 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'06 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'08 Freelander 2 - gone
'98 P38 V8/LPG - gone
'02 L322 V8 - gone
'02 Freelander 1 - gone
'05 Disco 3 TDV6 - SWMBO
'06 L322 V8 - current

Post #3291714th Dec 2005 11:38 am
Malcolm

brian,
on the seat memory bit are you getting the odd one when you open the door ( with the same key) sometimes it moves the seat to position two and sometimes it does not Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post #3292014th Dec 2005 11:49 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Malcolm wrote:
brian,
on the seat memory bit are you getting the odd one when you open the door ( with the same key) sometimes it moves the seat to position two and sometimes it does not Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Sometimes I have to press the unlock button a second time to set off the lazy seat.

Funny thing about the range, if you let it go to zero, then shut down and wait a few minutes, when you switch on again it will register 15 ish miles left again. Basically I think the fuel settles when stationary and therefore the true range is briefly shown. Once you set off again, it will rapidly decline.

I once drove for miles with it on zero (no choice) and when I eventually found fuel, it took 85 litres. I must have done 35 miles with it on zero.

Post #3296914th Dec 2005 3:17 pm
BrianX

From memory I think my seat is doing the same - I'll try the double-click option later. On the fuel thing, driving repeatedly around roundabouts gives me more fuel too - perhaps the centrifugal force is causing a plasma build-up in the starboard phase inducers, thus increasing the relative volume of diesel in my tank - or perhaps I've been sniffing too many fumes Shocked Laughing
 '
'
'05 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'06 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'08 Freelander 2 - gone
'98 P38 V8/LPG - gone
'02 L322 V8 - gone
'02 Freelander 1 - gone
'05 Disco 3 TDV6 - SWMBO
'06 L322 V8 - current

Post #3299214th Dec 2005 5:12 pm
grommet

United States 

I'm fairly sure you *must* press unlock twice for lazy memory to activate... at least in North America.

Post #3299714th Dec 2005 5:24 pm
SimonW

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

definitely need to watch remaining fuel when below a quarter on the gauge, it drops rapidly for me too.

the range regularly dives when below 100 miles range

I also filled up when just below a qtr left last time, took 71litres, 9 more than when I am quite empty on red. this 2 gallons was never going to do the estimated 90 miles range, even when driving style never changed so is not to do with MPG falling after you leave a motorway !!

i no longer consider the gauge linear and just look to fill up around a qtr and will never start out on a 60 mile round trip expecting to come back anything less than nervous !!!
 Nov '54' TDV6 SE Manual 25,000 miles - Excellent !! Don't buy an Auto until you have driven a Manual !!!!

'89 Classic 3.5i
Prev:
'00 4.6 RR Vogue,
'98 300Tdi 90 CSW,
'99 Freelander 

Post #3303014th Dec 2005 9:37 pm
Malcolm

the expression " past perfomance is not an indication of future performance" springs to mind Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
 Alive and kicking..who's round is it anyway ??  
Post #3303414th Dec 2005 9:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >