Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Fuel starvation issue, non LR fuel filter??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 
Fuel starvation issue, non LR fuel filter??

Started new thread so as not to clutter up angelfire's ESF thread with yet another tangent.

Earlier today had a long chat with Sir Nick, the patron saint of parts Bow down Bow down to try and get to the bottom of this shutting down issue that is plaguing me. I've also trawled through the forum and this goes back years and affects old car's, new cars, cars towing or not and can pull up ESF errors or not, error codes or none. Now to me, as a none techie, it feels like the car is starved of fuel or air (to burn the fuel) and shutting down to limp home mode to protect itself.

When talking with Nick he said he'd heard of D3s that had non LR fuel filters fitted and they sometimes had fuel flow problems. I know fitting it wrongly can have the effect of not allowing max ful to flow through. Now that (non LR parts bit) got me thinking. What if the fuel filter fitted by Stratstones (a UK LR main dealer for anyone reading this from overseas) was non LR part and it was causing the problem? Sure enough, phoned the dealer and when gave my reg number was told that the fuel filter changed by them last Nov was "equivalent quality". Needless to say I'm not impressed and my car will never darken their workshop again!

Anyway, before this develops into a rant against ratstones, has anyone else had problems with fuel supply under load (and shutting down) where it has been put down to the fuel filter? I'm getting that filter changed at the MOT in the next week and will be able to test it on hills where I know it would have shut down.

Any similar experiences peeps??

Post #7828115th Apr 2011 5:15 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yes, but it was a genuine one, They'd had a dodgy batch apparently (that was about 2 years ago though) Only ever use Genuine for Fuel Filter. I'd be having a word in LR's shell-like as surely a service by an LR dealer should use LR parts!!!
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #7828125th Apr 2011 5:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL

Ukraine 

Agreed re speaking to LR but my priority is getting the car working properly first. I was going to speak to the DP at the time but I think I might not have kept my cool!

What was your car doing Ian, going into limp home mode that cleared after a restart? I can only assume that a duff filter will either let the fuel flow freely (but not filter) or impede the flow and not be able to keep up with demand, as I think mine is doing.

Post #7828135th Apr 2011 5:25 pm
The Transformer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I asked the question a while ago as to whether non gen filters were ok, Disco Mikey said he had had a few issues with Britpart ones, rest were ok apparently.

Post #7828155th Apr 2011 5:28 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Don't know what type was fitted to mine and don't have access to the paperwork. Had I been told "by the way the parts we are fitting for that price are non LR parts" I'd have either negotiated a price or gone elsewhere. Part of the reasoning for getting the filter changed post Tunisia trip was if that was causing my problems as it may have had a bit of Sahara in there. If I was suffering shutting down problems that may have been due to the filter then I'd want a LR one fitted. Evil or Very Mad

Post #7828205th Apr 2011 5:37 pm
The Transformer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

How much have they charged for the filter?

Unless it is a Mahle (who make them for LR) surely the rest should be a lot cheaper?

Sorry, re read that you dont have access to the paperwork Thumbs Up

Last edited by The Transformer on 5th Apr 2011 5:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #7828225th Apr 2011 5:40 pm
Frapp

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

DSL wrote:
Part of the reasoning for getting the filter changed post Tunisia trip was if that was causing my problems as it may have had a bit of Sahara in there. If I was suffering shutting down problems that may have been due to the filter then I'd want a LR one fitted. Evil or Very Mad

Del
Have I read the post correct ? You were having problems before the filter was changed to a "Mickey" one
 Member of the carrot crank club

Embarrassingly in for the 2nd round, bought another two

D3 Jack Russell carrier
D4 Landmark for towing duties 

Post #7828245th Apr 2011 5:41 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

That's on the paperwork which can't get to. Sad

Post #7828255th Apr 2011 5:42 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Frapp wrote:
DSL wrote:
Part of the reasoning for getting the filter changed post Tunisia trip was if that was causing my problems as it may have had a bit of Sahara in there. If I was suffering shutting down problems that may have been due to the filter then I'd want a LR one fitted. Evil or Very Mad

Del
Have I read the post correct ? You were having problems before the filter was changed to a "Mickey" one

Complicated picture that I'm putting together. I was getting ESF shut downs (sorted by new turbo), dire mpg & performance (hopefully fixed by cleaning MAP sensor, will fit a new one) but have since new turbo still getting shut downs but no ESF error which I think is fuel starvation. Before fooked (again) turbo was diagnosed I thought it might be a gunked up filter from 2 Tunisia trips so had that changed in November (the non LR one fitted). Since turbo replaced the car is still shutting down but now at much higher loads so whilst the turbo was shutting her down under certain lower conditions, now the fuel demand can get to the level that the fuel filter cant cope with. Basically it's first shutting down issues were turbo related, now they are filter related, if I'm reading the tea leaves correctly. Whistle

Post #7828335th Apr 2011 5:53 pm
anglefire

England 

Or could be low or high pressure pump problems?

Do you get error code P2290?
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #7828345th Apr 2011 5:55 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Shhhhhh, I was so hoping I had found this. From talking to TFC a little while ago that P2290 code could be because the filter is wrongly fitter and it's not getting enough fuel flow. Next step is the fuel pumps if changing the fuel filter doesn't work. Just need to try the long hill past Guildford to see it it's worked. Whistle

PS don't have a fault code reader, SWMBO won't let me get one as I'd just screw the car up! She might have a point. Big Cry Big Cry

Post #7828355th Apr 2011 5:59 pm
Frapp

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Gotcha Thumbs Up

I have had fuel filter problems with the plant but only when using cheapo non genuine.

I now only use genuine JCB or Mahle, no problems since.

D3 Jack Russell carrier

Post #7828365th Apr 2011 6:02 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Thumbs Up Problem is I've possibly had 3 different issues all on top of each other making diagnosis difficult until they get knocked on the head one by one.

Have tried to persuade SWMBO that my powers of deduction may have sorted the car, we're still taking the Jazz on holiday so my powers of persuasion haven't worked! Big Cry Big Cry

Post #7828405th Apr 2011 6:08 pm
Frapp

Engines are like me.

No liquid = No work

D3 Jack Russell carrier

Post #7828415th Apr 2011 6:15 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Thumbs Up Reminds me, only booze in house is a bottle of Bombay Sapphire but no tonic! Big Cry Big Cry

Post #7828425th Apr 2011 6:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >