Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

fun with the LR3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JimLR3

fun with the LR3

This past weekend, I participated in a Land Rover Club trial. It was held in a hilly forested area in Pennsylvania. Attending was a complete selection of Land Rovers models, many were not stock. I had the only LR3. For many in the club, it was there first look at the LR3.

The competition was separated into two classifications, though the vehicles were intermixed and drove the same course; Land Rovers with less than a 100 inch wheel base and Land Rovers over 100 inches. Obviously the LR3 was in the over 100 inch class.

The course had 12 sections, all with gates that you had to navigate threw without touching the poles. Some sections allowed a “shunt” (reverse), many did not. It seemed, the course was mostly set up for the D90s. It was very tight for the LR3, my biggest problem was fitting the side mirrors threw the gates, even folded back they stick out pretty far. But with the LR3 tight turning radius and its ability to slowly walk the course, I was able to compete, tied for second in the over 100 inch class. Not bad for a stock vehicle and a driver that has never done this before. The vehicle was much more capable than its driver. I uploaded a couple of pics to my gallery. I have more pics, and will post to a website, once I create one.

After doing this event, I am even more amazed with the LR3. In rock crawl mode, I was able to slowly walk up rock covered hills, people watching outside commented on how the traction control instantaneously applied power to the proper wheel. On a couple of the soft dirt steep hills, other vehicles had to spin their wheels to continue forward motion and had trouble steering through the gates. Watching this I was concerned that when it was my turn, the LR3 with its stock tires would not make it up the hill. Again I was amazed, I slowly accelerated to a slow crawl and it just walked up the hill, no tire spin, no loss of steering control – all with stock tires. It was actually uneventful.

Also, I went over a rock (more like a boulder) large enough for the frame to hit, I stopped forward motion and the LR3 extended the wheels enough to lift it off the rock. I was inside, so I was not able to see it happen, but spotters were all talking about how amazing it was to watch.

Since buying in December, I have had some of the same problems other early buyers have had, and at times it has been frustrating. However, this weekend really put it all into perspective, its ability is outstanding. – got to love it.

Post #257620th Apr 2005 2:21 am
jzk

United States 

Last weekend I also put her into "extended mode" a few times. I guess when the LR3 senses that the weight distributed to the 4 wheels is less than its weight, it pushes down.
 LR3 HSE
http://www.pbase.com/jzk/lr3 

Post #257720th Apr 2005 2:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JimLR3

jzk, great pictures, viewed them on another site. I was lucking not having mud to deal with. Without the mud, the tires were not that bad. there was only one place that had a mud and leaf mixture where it would just not turn, I had to take a shunt and realign for the next gate. So I can imagine what it was like in the heavy mud and ruts you were dealing with. At least you have the 19 inch wheels to get the better suited M&R tires. there is nothing out there yet for the 18 inch wheels. I may have to switch to 19s.

Post #257920th Apr 2005 3:51 am
jzk

United States 

Jim,

I was also impressed with the rock crawl mode. You can see in some of the pictures that we are on this big rock, but there are no pictures of how we got there. We climbed up there.

What was really nice was the extra articulation in the throttle for rock crawl mode. This made it appear that I had a really steady touch on the throttle while others lunged and braked - exactly what you shouldn't do on rocks.
 LR3 HSE

Post #258620th Apr 2005 12:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jzk

United States 

Also, Jim,

Does your LR3 have the rear locker? This last weekend I payed close attention to the lockers and it was really impressive to see how the computer locked them up whenever necessary.
 LR3 HSE

Post #258720th Apr 2005 12:39 pm
JimLR3

First had the Sat Nav and screen in Off road mode, not very helpful for what we were doing. We did not travel any distances. So it ended up having a bunch of blue dots almost on top of one another. Changed it to 4x4 info mode. The locking and unlocking is not only informative, but was very entertaining for the passengers. Created a lot of discussion and debate.

Did you lower the pressure in the tire? I dropped mine down about 6 lbs. It seemed to help with traction and ride. Of course I never went faster than about 5 mph.

Post #263421st Apr 2005 1:23 pm
jzk

United States 

Jim,

I did not drop the pressure, although I brought a guage and compressor. I need to remember to do that next time.

I found myself switching between the map and the 4x4 info screen often. It would be nice to have a split view. We were in a national forest, and most of the roads are labeled on the nav system. And, one day it was just the Kia and I off on our own exploring, so I was trying to pay attention to where we were going and where we wanted to go.
 LR3 HSE

Post #264021st Apr 2005 2:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >