Dealer (Non LR finance)
14%
 14%  [5]
Total Votes: 35

Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Good way to buy or bad way to buy....?

I've agreed on a MY07 HSE (which I can't wait to get rid of the merc). Tried buying through local Dealer (Shukers of Shrewsbury) they've been great in terms of test driving & info on the car etc.
They offered me 4% off list which was reasonable.
A colleague used Sainsburys bank (!) to get a quote for an A4 Avant which was pretty competitive.
I tried them and they've managed 10% (all bar a few quid) off my HSE. They (of course) want to do the finance as well.

Sorry for the ramblings, I have 2 questions:-

1. Has anyone else purchased through Sainsburys Bank? (They use Freeway?, who in turn are using Marshalls LR dealer)
2. Has anyone else dealt with Marshalls Landrover. I know they have an e-bay site, so do they only deal with the 'stack em high, shift em cheap' mentality?

I'm likely to get it serviced at Shukers anyway, so will it really make any difference who supplies it in the long run?

Any advice gratefully received.
Oh, one more thing, i think this site has to be the best resource on the web for Disco information. well done to Martin for maintaining it ans to everyone else who contributes!
Martin, please don't move this post for a short while at least, not many people update anything in the finance section....... Smile
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #10150413th Nov 2006 11:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Any dealer will be glad to get your servicing. I got mine through a national lease co. and get it serviced locally. They are very glad to get my business.

I think a dealer probably makes more out of servicing than the sale. Well, they do from me, because I am currently running 35k miles per year.

Post #10152114th Nov 2006 1:26 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Shukers in Ludlow are very good... always upgrade sw whenever I ask or whenever the D3 is in for a TSB fix.

No experience of the Shrewsbury office but speak to Nick in Ludlow.

Post #10152514th Nov 2006 1:35 am
kam100

United Kingdom 

Well you know what i would say on the above poll, so won't vote to keep things fair. The discount you have got is good IBodsworth, 4% from a LR dealer is ok, we normally get 5% through some dealers (not massively different.. but hey 1% is 1%..), but it all depends what products you want to use to finance your purchase and when you want the car delivered..

I don't think Shukers would mind that much and would never turn away the business from you when it comes to servicing, they never ask, did you buy it from us sir, when sorting something out, so you should be safe on that front. (well i've never experienced that anyway or heard of it before, Jaymann on rrsport.co.uk got his car from Europe through an import company and still takes his into his local dealer where he test drove the car and got the prices from etc pre purchase....).

Only think with internet companies, would be make sure when its delivered you check it over completely as there isn't a glass showroom for you to go and shout at, if you find anything wrong afterwards, but even if you did, you could take it down to your local dealer and cry warranty claim anyway!!

So in short, go wherever you feel like you're getting the best deal. From experience of talking to quite a few LR dealers now, they will move more on D3 prices, then they will on RRS' prices for example, so bargain hard, take printouts with you and show the dealer the quotes, although they may get peev'd and not want to play if you're quotes too good.

The dealer i contacted for you, said 5% off list, and gave me a delivery time reasonably quick i quote:

"Hi Kam,

The Discovery for January at £40448.25 seems like too good an offer to pass over. Even at 5% discount i'm at £42400. I'm hoping somebody has made a mistake on the pricing of it?"

If you do want it quicker, then end of Jan, this one will probably be made availabe for you quicker. I got another member on here delivery by end of Nov for his, so i know there is stock about, and with the extras and colour you've specified it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Next thing is just to get the finance product to suit your requirements, which is something i would love to help you with, but PCP's aren't our speciality or reccomendation on the D3 front with APR's and the future residual/balloon, so if you want to look at the other alternatives, let me know.

Good luck with the purchase otherwise..

Post #10152714th Nov 2006 1:48 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The poll is just to get an idea if many of the menbers have financed through yourself. I know you are an enthusiast as well as a finance contact, so I'm sure I'd be looked after. More concerned about Marshalls delivery.
Soon as I have the exact delivery date I'm sure we'll speak again about the finance, you did come through quite competitive.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #10154614th Nov 2006 8:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kam100

United Kingdom 

Cool look forward to it..

I haven't had that much activity on this site to be honest, i have done a few disco 3's but more rrs' and other forum vehicles to date. However disco 3's is something im looking to delve further into... so would be happy to dig around for you..

Got a couple of dealers playing ball now, and have sourced a few cars via a variety of dealers across the country for clients, but we are still pretty much based off the internet, with financing of our accountancy clients' vehicles keeping me quite busy. However i will get you some quotes over based on the above sourcing price of less 5% with the bits you spec'd and that way, even if you don't use us, at least it will help you have something to beat when you look at other quotes and may help push others down further..

Last edited by kam100 on 14th Nov 2006 11:26 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #10156514th Nov 2006 10:53 am
oliver77

Wales 

Sainsbury's or Motorlogix.com would look like a good bet. Anyone who uses Marshall Land Rover. They are superb.

Post #10156614th Nov 2006 10:56 am
joness7

United Kingdom 

kam100 wrote:
Only think with internet companies, would be make sure when its delivered you check it over completely as there isn't a glass showroom for you to go and shout at, if you find anything wrong afterwards, but even if you did, you could take it down to your local dealer and cry warranty claim anyway!!

I used autoebid.com. Lot's of dealers bid to get your order, then you go to the dealer to pick up etc as per normal. Best of both worlds!!
 2018 1.5Ti Skoda Octavia - dull as f&ck
2019 D5 SdV6 SE Anniversary - black/black - good riddance!!
2010 D4 TDV6 HSE - Nara Bronze with black - now gone!!
2006 D3 TDV6 HSE - Buckingham Blue with Alpaca - now gone!!
BMW R1200GS - also blue, also gone!!
Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin DCT - Dakar colours
Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 - the Black Arrow 

Post #10157214th Nov 2006 11:28 am
DiscoStu

England 

I used LR dealer and LR finance - but I get an employee discount! Very Happy
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #10173114th Nov 2006 7:03 pm
dflo

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Maybe you could ask about a "Friends and Family" discount scheme - Wink
 "Funny, mine doesn't do that......."  
Post #10173414th Nov 2006 7:09 pm
DiscoStu

England 

They do family... Unfortunately, they don't do friends. They do in the States - there's a scheme where the more friends you recommend a car to (and they buy it at a fixed discount) the bigger discount you get.
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #10173814th Nov 2006 7:16 pm
SN

DiscoStu wrote:
They do family... Unfortunately, they don't do friends.
Same as the Vauxhall/Saab scheme I can get - no bl**dy use with LR unfortunately Sad Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #10189315th Nov 2006 1:04 am
JMC

Scotland 

I wouldn't get too excited about additional discount on the LR finance rate. Even with the £1000 bonus, it was still going to be a heck of a lot more expensive than the deal I got elsewhere - and that was a straight deal (no balloon). Shocked

Post #10190015th Nov 2006 1:25 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

DiscoStu wrote:
They do family... Unfortunately, they don't do friends. They do in the States - there's a scheme where the more friends you recommend a car to (and they buy it at a fixed discount) the bigger discount you get.

Ah, the privilege scheme. When I worked for Ford Credit (before they closed the regional offices and relocated to St Albans forcing me to go and work for a dealership instead Crying or Very sad ) I got my Father and my Mother in Law cars on that scheme. They never used to check that it's a bona-fide family member, just took your word for it on the voucher declaration. I even "bought" my company car for my job at the Ford dealership on the scheme as I could get it cheaper than the dealership could. Which was nice.

Sadly Ford didn't own LR back then or I'd have had a whale of a time.....

Post #10201915th Nov 2006 3:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >