DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Goodyear Wrangler duratrac
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Voyageofdiscovery

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Goodyear Wrangler duratrac

salmoner wrote:
Anyone using Goodyear Wrangler duratracs , ..this king if fitting a set to the D3 for winter , just looking for reviews , would mostly be road use ?

Sorry to come to this late but thought I'd pass on my experience. I couldn't wait to get the 19" Duratracs off my D3, they whine like a banshee. In fact I'm replacing them after only 15k miles.

I know others say they are quiet, but I think it's down to the different diameters eg if there is plenty of sidewall they don't whine so badly (or maybe they used to ride around on Mud Terrains so anything is quieter Wink

So if you are not on 19" rims you might be fine but AT3's are much quieter in this application. IMHO.

Post #210062319th Nov 2019 5:55 am
cable

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Would the Duratracs you removed be for sale ?

Thumbs Up

Post #210064119th Nov 2019 9:35 am
Collwyn

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

It’s funny - everyone seems to have different experiences with the same tyres......

So maybe this will help some of you out or maybe just confuse things even more!

Duratracs in 255/55r19 are not 3pms rated. Anyway that is basically just traction in dry snow. Nor are they studable. I’ve had them in 245/75r16 on a D2 and they have the symbol and have stud holes - they were actually very good in the snow/ice but when you had them side by side with the 255/55r19’s they are very different.

There’s a reason they don’t have the 3pms symbol in the 255/55r19 size - they are poor in the snow and ice - the rubber is too hard and the sipes only go down about 3mm - there is no way they could pass that test.... If anybody has driven BFG MT’s on a defender or D1/D2 etc, then the duratracs in 255/55r19 behave very similarly on the snow and ice.

I also only got 20k out of my set.

I’ve changed to GG AT3’s in 265/60r18 119s after comparing the 19” GG AT3’s to my Duratracs and deciding they are so much better everywhere.

I know the 265/60r18 119s I got are a different size/load rating to my old duratracs, but they are so much better on the road - quieter, much more positive when cornering etc, and off road they seem much better on wet grass (probably the stickier rubber compound) and also better on the frost and ice we had here last week.

So far so good - time will tell if I’m still happy with them in a couple of years.

Post #210113621st Nov 2019 5:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Aerialmark

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I will be taking my Duratracs off next week as i have purchased some AT3,s. I will then be able to remove my ear plugs because christ they were loud Shocked They were worn down to the last 5mm or so and just got louder the lower they got. I may have my wheels refurbed first Very Happy
 The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the best of everything they have. 

Post #210116621st Nov 2019 7:37 pm
kirkyworld

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

TigerRecovery wrote:
From the Goodyear website.

https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/tir...DTRAC.html

They are complete with the snowflake symbol. Not sure about the Q speed rating, but they're ok for the load of the vehicle and as 99MPH is illegal in the UK, I'm not too worried.

Mine do not have the snowflake symbol (255 55 19). They have been a great tyre, no noise, great grip and so far great wear too. They were also £438 for 4 fitted which makes them a bargain too.

Post #210117221st Nov 2019 7:59 pm
gerudman

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Just replaced my old Duratracs with a new set after seeing some harsh African conditions for almost 90000km. Still had some thread on, but they took quite a beating and had some cracks. Absolutely awesome tire for road and offroad.
 2012 LR Discovery SDV6 SE
1973 LR Series III 88" 

Post #21033023rd Dec 2019 2:23 pm
Broncoduecer

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

I have really enjoyed the tyres on my Disco3. Good ride like people have said. Very durable off road. Pretty happy with winter traction as well. My only negative is that as they have worn the road noise has increased. Particularly around 45-50 mph and then it lessens. Anyone have a similar experience?

Post #21046119th Dec 2019 4:31 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >