Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Goodyear Wrangler HPs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
noreserve

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Goodyear Wrangler HPs

My 06 HSE has Goodyear Wrangler HPs as the OEM tire (19" wheels). I leased the vehicle with around 5K miles on it and within a month, noticed the tire wear and noise. I now have around 14K miles and the noise is much worse. A friend of mine drove it last week and thought something was wrong. I told him that it was just those piece of Censored Goodyears. I have documented e-mails to the dealership from Dec 06, Jan 07 and Mar 07 about the tire wear and noise. The dealership has aligned the vehicle and I have maintained a close eye on tire pressure. There's just no getting around the problem with these tires. They aren't going to last much longer and they are going to drive me nuts in the meantime. I have just sent an e-mail to the dealership to forward my concerns to the service manager. I told them that I am unwilling to pay for replacement tires at 14K miles. I stated that there were numerous instances on the Internet forums of people with the tire wear and noise. The service adviser responded promptly and said that he would forward my concern to the manager. We set up an appointment for Thursday to bring it in, as it has been around 3K since it was last in.

How common is this problem with the Goodyears with forum members? I didn't know if the Goodyears are OEM on the UK models. This and the brake squeal are really taking the enjoyment out of this vehicle for me.

Post #18916814th Aug 2007 4:13 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Two issues here really.
1. Uneven tyre wear: has to do with bush settle which puts out the wheel alignment. Symptoms are wear to inside or outside of tyres on various wheels. Dealer fix,there is a TSB for it look up uneventyre wear.
2. Wrangler tyres. They do not wear well; only just got 30,000km out of mine. But before hey are fully worn they get noisy as the compound hardens. Nature of the tyre. Not a goo choice of tyre but thats what you get.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #18918314th Aug 2007 4:53 pm
noreserve

My suspicion is that the damage was already done, so to speak, in the first 5-6K miles. I did have an alignment after finding out about the TSB, but it obviously hasn't helped the wear and, especially, noise. I think that Goodyear and Land Rover underestimate the buying public's memory when it comes to brands. I will NEVER purchase anything Goodyear if I can help it. I will also be wary of Land Rover in general, given that they were willing to sweep this problem under the table. They know damn well that there was a problem with these 05-06 D3s that have the Goodyears, but were unwilling to step up to the plate. They want the customer to bear the cost of their engineering screw up. They only reimburse for half or some other Censored that they want the customer to suffer through. Own up to the problem Land Rover and Goodyear! They deserve to have another Ford/Firestone debacle for not taking responsibility. b Censored ds . Oh, and sorry to put this in the general section. i see that there is a tire section elsewhere. Moderators, please don't hesitate to move it there if you deem that appropriate.

Post #18960415th Aug 2007 2:20 pm
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If you're really pi Censored d off have a look here;

www.landroverclassaction.com

Post #18960815th Aug 2007 2:27 pm
noreserve

I've been there and as much as I hate frivolous lawsuits, I think this one is warranted. Customers are shouldering the cost of Land Rover's engineering mistake. The Goodyears are Censored , but Land Rover is ultimately responsible for the tires it selects for its vehicles.

Post #19014116th Aug 2007 3:13 pm
noreserve

My dealer has agreed to go 50% on a new set of four tires. This only applies to the Goodyears or Pirellis (only OEM - no Synchrones). I figured that this would be their best offer and I didn't want to argue any longer. I have 14K on the Wranglers and will be happy to see them burn in tire hell. It doesn't look like I'm going to get more than 20K from Pirellis, based on some research I did. Still ends up being a pretty good deal, all things considered. If I hadn't pressed the issue, they wouldn't have offered anything at all. Should be around $650US for a set of four Pirelli Scorpion Zeros mounted and balanced.

Post #19212820th Aug 2007 7:20 pm
noreserve

Update...

Price was less than I thought the dealer quoted - what a rarity. $550 for four new Scorpions mounted and balanced. Half-price is nice! Wow, what a difference! It's like night and day between the worn Goodyears and the Pirellis. No more noise. Much more comfortable ride. Like it should be. I'm happy again.

Post #19599328th Aug 2007 4:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >