Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Got it last firday and its great, but...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Baldrick

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Got it last firday and its great, but...

Picked up my new baby last friday. Haven't had internet access so couldn't post. Got a full tank and a bunch of flowers! its is an 07 spec Very Happy Considering I had ordered an 06, I was chuffed! Got free leather and tow pack and 18" wheels. Bonus! 8)

However, it nearly all went to Censored as after leaving the dealer I was sitting at a round about, saw a gap in the traffic, put my foot down to dart into the gap ande the disco just barely moved for the first couple of seconds and then the revs climbed and I moved at an acceptable pace. The guy in the Santa Fe that was bearing down on my door wasn't too impressed and I got a fair fright....... Shocked

Is this normal? I've been told over the phone by the dealer that there is a bit of a delay, but he has agreed to check it and let me drive another one. I have since timed it in D, S and command first, and the response is the same. I put my foot to the floor and start counting one-one thousand; two-one thousdand, three-one thousand, disco just barely starts to move, and eventually goes just as I say four. Surely this can't be normal. All comments etc welcome. I'm not too worried about support from the dealer as I know them personally, but I just want to be in the know when talking to them. Wink

Regards
 2007 MY Irish spec S+ TDV6  
Post #982592nd Nov 2006 9:45 am
jollybodger

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Morning Baldrick,
Congrats on the new arrival. I would think that that delay is longer than should be. There is a slight delay but not 4 secs, I find the biggest prob is when warm and have been coasting up to a traffic light/stop there can be a delay on accelerating again. Have them check it. Enjoy yourself, a brillaint car otherwise isn't it! Smile

Post #982612nd Nov 2006 9:53 am
dflo

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Baldrick - You can now change your sig - Wink

Have fun, and get them to check it out...
 "Funny, mine doesn't do that......."  
Post #982692nd Nov 2006 10:35 am
Baldrick

Anyone else have any ideas?
Post #985193rd Nov 2006 10:01 am
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The D3 is poor at pulling away, but the delay isn't that long. I would say 1 second, but it is enough to frighten you if you try to pull out in front of something thinking you're going to make it in time.
I do seem to remember that it does improve as the engine beds in. Mine has now done 12,000 miles and I don't really notice it much. It could be that I'm used to it, but I'm sure the delay is less than it was when new.
 Matt  
Post #985323rd Nov 2006 10:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pdip1952

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I picked my Disco up in august and didn't notice a delay until it caught me out on a roundabout one day.... fair fright for me too .... Embarassed

She doesn't do it all of the time and doesn't seem to do it when in sport mode so I tend to put the gear shift across to the left when at junctions or roundabouts.

I think it is getting better and is the only thing wrong with mine..... peed off that I can't get the clock upgraded as per MY07 but will survive. A superb vehicle otherwise! Very Happy

Post #987343rd Nov 2006 11:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bodger

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

HI CHAPS, you need ecu re map it makes a differance but you still get a second or so pause then hang on.

Post #987393rd Nov 2006 11:31 pm
Swifty

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Guys,

I used to have a 3.0 Audi quattro and sh*t i noticed the difference at junctions etc. That said, use sport mode or command shift and its much better.

Still get the odd "moment" though

Post #987464th Nov 2006 12:22 am
Baldrick

They are just the same........ tried everything. Its possible that as i have the first 07 my in ireland, that this is a new issue due to new map. just a thought. Will go up tomorrow and drive another.

i know things should improve as engine and gearbox adaptive, but its toooooo slow

thanks for feedback
Post #987514th Nov 2006 12:27 am
Swifty

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

It does take some getting used to - I have learned to recognise when I am going to get the accelleration i need, but I am 2 months into ownership.

get it right, right gear, right nrevs, anticipate the throttle and its a dragster. Get it wrong and its embarrassing.

I am going for the remap though - as overtaking is on the lanes here is less than confident

Post #987544th Nov 2006 12:41 am
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Have you tried starting off in SAND mode. Not recommended ( I'm told ) for normal road work, but may improve take off ?
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #987734th Nov 2006 9:07 am
Supergirl

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

the X5 3.0d have the exact same issues.

Could the kick down need adjusting it may be because your sitting waiting in a gap in the traffic you see one then floor it the pedal to the metal as they say.

Is this when you notice the delay??? or do you notice it when driving Miss Daisy stlye also.??

Can't say I notice but may be because I'm used to it what with having a X and now the D3

Post #987814th Nov 2006 10:58 am
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I think sometimes the delay is exagerated by the auto gearbox, especially if you are moving slightly and it realises that 1st should really be the gear that it should be in.
Your delay does sound excessive though.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #987834th Nov 2006 11:19 am
Baldrick

Did a 0-100km check on the way to dealer

In Sport mode it took 14.5 seconds approx
In Command Shift it was 13.5

Tchnique was to have foot on brake, gear selected, lift off brake and put accelerator to the floor. As scientific as I can do.

Times are about 2 seconds slower that claimed. I know the engine has to losen up etc but does seem excessive.

Dealer didn't have a demo to enable me to compare but he drove mine and did agree it seemed slower to react than his.He pointed out how some are slow to react if you lft at a bend and then put foot down. Said it happens in his.
I think someone has raised this on another thread.

Anyway, he said I was to callback and drive his and a demo when they're back in during the week and if I stil believe there is a difference they'll check the maping. Can't argue with that.
Post #988824th Nov 2006 7:17 pm
Nigel Tracey

Switzerland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mine is better now after 40,000kms and re-map. Like someone mentioned definately worse after gradual deceleration then pause at lights (long) and it occasionaly has a delay (1sec).

Simple solution is to rev slightly and inch forward in anticipation of the imminent acceleration, you'l find that as you then push the accelerator down the engine is immediately responsive.

Works for me, even when towing nearly 2t.

Post #989034th Nov 2006 11:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >