Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Grabber AT2 Impressions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I found them more floaty than the scorpions I had previously, however after a week or so I'd adjusted my driving style by just easing off a little and when I recently drove a car on Scorpions I found the ride a little harsh, which just proves you get used to this sort of thing.

I've now done about 7000 miles on them and I'm very happy with the way they wear and the way they work offroad. Not as good a true MT in the real gloop, but a noticable improvement on road tyres.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #18452731st Jul 2007 12:32 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

After reading these reports I'm not sure that putting AT2 on for road tyres (as a replaecement for the Wranglers) is the best choice for me. I have Cooper STT's for offroad so I'm looking for a road tyre which is cheaper and longer wearing than Wranglers

The pluses to go with AT2 would be greater tread depth than a road tyre therefore longer wearing in theory and cheaper than Wranglers. However the downsides would be more tread squirm, vagueness in the steering, balancing problems, more fuel usage and a bit more road noise.

I find I can "throw" the D3 around when on Cooper STT's in dry but they are not good in the wet on corners and DSC kicks in constantly. I suspect AT2's will be the same but not quite as bad a STT's.

What do people think about putting AT2's on for paved roads?

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #1848351st Aug 2007 12:13 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

The AT2s are no worst that most other ATs on the black stuff. For the best black stuff grip and performance you need a HT in soft rubber (low mileage).
If you could afford it, 1 set for off road and another for on road.
I prefer the Wranglers on the black stuff to the AT2s.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #1848451st Aug 2007 5:29 am
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Just came back from France and done 2500 miles on the AT2's they have been great in all conditions. They have great grip wet and dry, I can also see they are going to last a lot longer than the Scorpions.
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #18866313th Aug 2007 9:29 am
Mounty

Switzerland 

My opinion is that this tyers in the wet are quite dangerous. And it is going to be more wet in the future than we like it. Recent test in a big German 4x4 Magazinbetween Pirelli Scorpion STR, Grabber AT, Colway C-Trax MT and Uniroyal 4x4 street to show the differences had the Grabber 10 Meter more brakeway than the Pirelli and was general in the wet not a good tyer. I think when ATS for road use there are better ones. But best is to have a real Road tyer and when you go offroad put ATs on

Mounty
 Daniel

Now: RSS 2008 3,6l HSE
Past: 2.7l D3 HSE, D3 4.4l HSE, FFRR 2004 4,4l 

Post #18880213th Aug 2007 2:02 pm
catweasel

Mounty wrote:
I think when ATS for road use there are better ones.
and they are Question
in the correct diameter and load rating of course.

Post #18880513th Aug 2007 2:05 pm
stevo68

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hmm some interesting comments, I have had my AT2's now for about 5000kms both on and off road and have found them great, so much better offroad than the HP's. In terms of on road I actually find the ride softer, noise, well with windows up I hear nothing outside anyway. Fuel consumption with the V8, I would have to say the same. I have driven it on some pretty windy roads and at speed and found they handle really well, though I did hit one corner at almost 100kms an hr and noticed that it squirmed a tad, so wouldnt go as hard as maybe the HP's, so hit the same spot now at around 80kms, no probs. All in all have been happy with them and at almost half the price of the HP's,

regards

Stevo
 2005 D3 HSE V8, General Tire AT2 255/55/R18, Kaymar Rear Bar and Wheel Carrier
Off Road: http://server1.pictiger.com/albums/563/ormeau-hills/ 

Post #18907414th Aug 2007 11:10 am
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Had mine on now for 3500 miles and they started with 10mm of tread, just been around and all tyres outside, middle and inside edges all have more than 9mm of tread left, (33lbs front and 36lbs rear). Good value for £510 for 4.

I must drive to carefully as I've never had the DSC kick in, but then again I don't hang about.

Can't wait for the day at Tong to see what they are like off road.
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #18922314th Aug 2007 6:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >