Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Greenpeace and the Disco 3...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Greenpeace and the Disco 3...

It seems that Greenpeace has taken an interest (Negative unfortunately...) in the Disco 3... Sad

You can read about it there :

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/climate/clima.../index.cfm

The subject was first mentionned in a post in the French forum Landmaniac.com

I hate the ELF (Ecologist, Liberticid and Fascist : sounds better in french... Wink )!

Post #109827th Feb 2005 11:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Its a shame these people are incapable of reading the facts and use just worst case figures. Sure a big V8 will guzzle gas... this is why Ford have developed the TDV6 (with Jag expertise) for those more conscious of fuel consumption. A big petrol engined car (any large Merc, BMW, Audi, insert anyone else here) would do about the same.

I drive mine in mixed conditions regularly...

20 miles A and B roads to the motorway, 120 miles motorway driving, probably another 40+ miles city driving... and yet I still average around 28-29 MPG in my Discovery 3

Sure there are more economical cars. BUT :

1. I cannot fit my family, their stuff, camping gear, dog etc etc in them
2. I live in the country side and only venture into the city when I need too
3. I drive as responsibly as I can... you CANNOT say that about many saloon drivers these days and hot hatch drivers.

Many so called small sensible cars (hatches, saloons, exec saloons etc) are actually worse at using fuel. Even the Alliance Against 4 x 4's quote the cut off point of acceptability at 25MPG for a Ford Mondeo 2.0 petrol.... so who's better ?

A Discovery 3 at 28-29MPG or a rep mobile (of which there are thousands) that screams up and down the road using far more fuel, causing more stress for other road users etc etc.

Maybe someone should start a campaign that talk the truth and show that there are many many sensible 4 x 4's on the market. NOT just gas guzzling 4 x 4's.

Much of their data is US based and not European (where diesel is the norm).

I know we could talk and post about this for ever. But, it really narks me when blinkered and rather short sighted people start telling me I'm a bad person when I am clearly a much better person than many tens of thousands of car drivers in the UK alone !!!

Better driver training would be far more useful to campaign about that the very few people who drive large 4 x 4's and the even fewer that drive petrol engined large 4 x 4's

-s

Post #109927th Feb 2005 1:44 pm
access

Malta 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Izmir BlueDiscovery 4

I think the best thing is to ignore them….all that I can tell you is that every time there is a disasters like the one in Asia or Sudan in Africa it’s the 4X4 not the small cars that are used to deliver the food and medical care.

Post #110027th Feb 2005 2:06 pm

For one thing it’s important to realise that there is another point of view out there. Greenpeace, made up mostly of far left-wing political activists, is NOT the ultimate authority on global climate. Why they so often go unchallenged is beyond logic.

http://www.heartland.org/archives/studies/ieguide.htm#1

BSY

Post #11562nd Mar 2005 5:35 am
Neil R

Hi

I passed a bill board for a freelander advert yesturday and someone had pasted a yellow warning over the advert that said "Enviroment Criminal" or something like that, how mindless. the freeland in 1.8 and TD4 is not that bad is it say to a mondeo ?

Neil
 2005 Java Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6 HS (GONE)
Stormer wheels, SC Grills, Tow pack,PTI,Adaptive lights,Useless coolerbox (GONE)

2010 RRS HSE Santorini/Ivory TDV8 Overfinch'd 

Post #11672nd Mar 2005 5:36 pm

These people are the textbook definition of fascism. The fervour of their ignorance is frightening. It's probably a matter of time until they start vandalising SUVs and any other private property that they deem politically incorrect, just like they've done, and are currently doing, in the US.

Post #11733rd Mar 2005 5:58 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

This is very worrying. I know we live in a free country, and that the right to protest is part of our freedom, but recently, there has been more and more of the "Direct Action" protests, that involve personal attacks, violence, property damage, and intimidation.

This is not just targeted at the 4x4 users, but other groups such as medical experimentation, and hunting come to mind as examples where extremist contingencies have infiltrated a legitimate protest organisation to further their anarchaic aims.

I do hope that this does not develop into an all out battle between 4x4 users, and the anti's.

Of even more concern to me is the fact that recently, a law was changed, in favour of protesters (Hunting with dogs). The government has made no effort whatsoever to distance itself from the the protest groups, who were often violent and intimidating in their protest.

I feel that whilst you may or may not agree with the principle of the hunting ban, the government should emphasise to the country that they changed the law because of proper democratic process, not because an increasingly vocal and violent group of protesters made themselves heard, got the law changed, and are now basking in apparent victory.

This can ony have the effect of spurring on other protest groups to adopt more aggresive methods to win their argument.

Rant Over!! Very Happy

Post #11833rd Mar 2005 9:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >