DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Greetings from ...........
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 60 of 66 <123 ... 596061 ... 646566>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I did think it a good one even if I did say do myself. Whistle Whistle

Good day today after a bit of a train ride to Wakkanai, right up the top of Japan. It didn’t used to be the top but those pesky Rooskies did a bit of island grabbing near & just after the end of WW2, much to the continued annoyance of peeps here.

We managed to get checked in early so dumped the bags and booked on the tour of the area. The wifey doing the tour talked for all the time we were on then bus, prob a shade over 3 hours, I recognised two words - Tokyo & Hokkaido. It’s always more interesting that way as we don’t just switch off from lots of figures & facts/opinions, we get to make it all up in our own heads. Thumbs Up

Firstly up the tower on the hill by Wakkanai.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

80m tower so not too tall, but the day after an earthquake so good to back to the museum bit on the ground floor. Really good museum, esp on the Japanese times in the Kurils before 420,000 peeps got kicked out by the Soviets. Only pic from museum was these cute mammoths.

Click image to enlarge

Outside a few memorials, mostly to the events at the end of WW2.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And to some huskies that were abandoned in the Antarctic when an expedition went pear shaped. Lovely statue. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Then on to Cape Soya. Pano pic of the kind of scenery here, lots of deer & waggu cows. Well I did say we could interpret things our way. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Cape Soya is a great place to spend a little time. Most poignant is this memorial to the peeps killed when the Soviets shot down a Korean 747 that had wandered off course.

Click image to enlarge

Also lots of maps showing what was just a bit to the north.

Click image to enlarge

And then to the weird, this one.

Click image to enlarge

Looks like a memorial to victims of Kuril “clearances” or WW2 “aggression” like the USS Wahoo but no, to Hokkaido reaching a million tonnes of dairy produce and half million head of cattle. It did seem a little out of place. Confused

Pano from above the cape. The town has a down at heel feel with most things closed, but will prob be thriving on w/ends in the proper tourist season.

Click image to enlarge

The very north of Japan, lots of peeps queuing for selfies, would be rude not to join in.

Click image to enlarge

And here’s a pic typifying the dilemma of crossing the road when there’s nothing on said road as far as the eye can see. This lot were very good, and they were Chinese, not normally known for obeying the rules as we’ve seen many times over the last 5 months.

Click image to enlarge

Mind you, whilst we are generally pretty good at waiting or judging when lights would change, we have occasionally said that it’s stupid standing there and hoofed it across, hiding our faces in shame. Incl once in Hong Kong when peeps were waiting at the red crossing light when the side road had been coned off from traffic. Rolling Eyes

Last few pics are of Rishirifuji volcano just off the coast. First one one snapped on the train, the other two a bit more arty. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And a lighthouse at the point north of Wakkanai. Where SWMBO asked “Have you taken a photo of ......” which I hear as “You don’t have many uses in life so get that iPhone out of your pocket and take a photo of .........” Whistle

Click image to enlarge

And finally, any horticultural types out there know what this flower is? The label was all in Japanese so no help whatsoever. Banging Head

Click image to enlarge

Post #206234419th Jun 2019 11:59 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks for not posting any food pics Del. I’m starving as it is and your food pics always make me super hungry and envious (usually). 😀
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #206239319th Jun 2019 4:03 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

DSL wrote:
And finally, any horticultural types out there know what this flower is? The label was all in Japanese so no help whatsoever. Banging Head

Click image to enlarge

Did you get a photo of the label?
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #206240019th Jun 2019 4:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL

Ukraine 

No, didn’t think of that. Embarassed Embarassed

Post #206250919th Jun 2019 11:31 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

You could try the PlantSnap app.
My nephew showed it to me when he came round last week. Seemed to recognise things , but not from a single leaf alone.
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #206253820th Jun 2019 7:07 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Will give it a go. Thumbs Up

Travelling & slobbing day today so not a lot of pics. We were looking for water, this (4 litres of sake) would have made an interesting train ride.

Click image to enlarge

Off tomorrow to Shiretoko in the top right of Hokkaido for some nature & wldlife stuff this w/end. SWMBO’s not impressed with the weather forecast!! I’m going to get a cold noggin as still hatless. Big Cry Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

LT wrote:
Thanks for not posting any food pics Del. I’m starving as it is and your food pics always make me super hungry and envious (usually). 😀

Sorry, have to break your virtual diet. For peeps travelling in Japan Food Courts are invaluable. Lots of Japanese choice, plus usually a burger place (Micky Dees or MOS Burger), KFC and of Starbucks. All about the same as you’d pay in the UK, which is pretty good for Japan. This is fried chicken, shredded cabbage, rice, soup & sauce for chicken for shade over £6 each. Bargain for here. Thumbs Up Note chopsticks, no eating irons anywhere to be seen which makes eating large chunks of seriously hot fried chicken a bit tricky. Mr. Green

Click image to enlarge

Now tucked up in hotel with a cheap Chilean watching news totally in Japanese. Japanese TV is weird, and that’s official. Thumbs Up

Post #206256820th Jun 2019 8:51 am
DSL

Ukraine 

PS And the Giants won tonight. LR are still sponsoring baseball, even if half heartedly. Total JLR products seen in Japan in 6 weeks is 4, 1 x D2, 1 x D3, 1 x D4 and, you guessed it, 1 x eVoke. That sponsorship’s really working well. Whistle Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Go Dragons Giants. Thumbs Up

Post #206261120th Jun 2019 12:01 pm
BCP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Martin wrote:
DSL wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Did you get a photo of the label?

think it's sea pink (armeria)

Post #206273120th Jun 2019 7:21 pm
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I think it could be Armeria maritima also. But need better photo of petals, leaves, habit and environment to be certain. (Google was my friend) Smile
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #206275120th Jun 2019 8:23 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

It was deffo by the sea, and yes a quick google of armeria maritima has found it. Deffo the one, me thinks. Not a version of lavender as SWMBO thought. Whistle

Cheers chaps. Thumbs Up

Post #206276520th Jun 2019 10:03 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

DSL wrote:
PS And the Giants won tonight. LR are still sponsoring baseball, even if half heartedly. Total JLR products seen in Japan in 6 weeks is 4, 1 x D2, 1 x D3, 1 x D4 and, you guessed it, 1 x eVoke. That sponsorship’s really working well. Whistle Laughing

I hear they hid them away while the anti-JLR poet laureate is in the country Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #206276820th Jun 2019 10:08 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

I’m sure they do. Ner Ner

Mind you only seen one D5 in 5 1/2 months over on this side of the planet. Sensible peeps that they are! Whistle

Post #206277120th Jun 2019 10:27 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

jesus…. are you still away...are you ever coming home ??

Post #206277220th Jun 2019 10:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

1 of 7.7bn people sees 1 of 100k D5's shock Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #206277320th Jun 2019 10:36 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

galwaygreen wrote:
jesus…. are you still away...are you ever coming home ??

Will be home in about 3 weeks, all going to plan. Then it’s back to the rain, the cold, peeps morning about Brexit whilst driving ugly cars. And DG, just up the road. Whistle Laughing

For a while anyway. Mr. Green

Post #206278521st Jun 2019 4:23 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 60 of 66 <123 ... 596061 ... 646566>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >