Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Greetings from ............ Trip #2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 22 of 44 <123 ... 212223 ... 424344>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

A few pics representative of the views. It’s end of rainy season so a lot of the farm land is flooded. Lots of water buffalos in their wallowing holes. Very cute. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And all this just after train lunch. Very scrummy, even if presentation won’t win them the Masterchef final. Whistle Not bad for 35kD/£1.17. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

The train is an hour late now so will be getting to Nha Trang at 9pm rather than 8pm. Big Cry Big Cry We might be doing dinner on the train, though hopefully not breakie. Whistle

Post #20974394th Nov 2019 5:19 am
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Looks very much like soggy cornwall Thumbs Up

I’ll be on my 4 hour flight today to the sunshine Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #20974414th Nov 2019 6:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL

Ukraine 

Enjoy. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

And don’t forget the pics. Whistle

Post #20974434th Nov 2019 7:09 am
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

🍺👍
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #20974454th Nov 2019 7:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL

Ukraine 

View at the mo, and pos for a while yet. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

We’ve either hit something (hopefully as opposed to someone) or there’s a problem with the train and/or track. Lots of train staff running around, one with a fist full of disposable gloves. They were looking under our carriage, but there are non railway peeps outside, who don’t look too concerned. I think they were just annoyed a honking great train is blocking their path.

Needless to say there’s lots of theories flying around c/o other passengers but my Vietnamese linguistic skills aren’t up to any of it. Sad

It’s all SWMBO’s fault as she clocked our speed at over 80kph and thought we were getting there. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post #20974594th Nov 2019 9:39 am
DSL

Ukraine 

And Merry Chrimbo from Nha Trang folks. This is very surreal as it 26c & humid outside. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

We better get used to it as we’ll be in Singapore for Christmas Day. Whistle

Post #20974844th Nov 2019 1:18 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Our last Vietnamese departure station, with obligatory line of eager taxis. Next station will be Ga Sai Gon in HCMC, or the Big Revolutionary Smoke. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

The station is just a few hundred m from our hotel, so pretty handy. Quite nice & comfy for a cheap Vietnamese hotel, and the wall to wall Chinese tour group certainly made breakie interesting, esp sharing a table for part of the meal. Shocked

PS Last VNR train for the trip, unless things go wrong.

Click image to enlarge

And it’s cozy, to put it mildly!

Click image to enlarge

Post #20976345th Nov 2019 2:12 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Well, that’s the Reunification Express ticked off, been there & rattled the whole length. We did it in 5 chunks, would hate to do it in one. Will see how they compare with Royal Cambodian Railways, that’s going to be interesting. Thumbs Up

Good to see we were causing traffic chaos as usual. Laughing Laughing What I love is to one side of the tracks there is kerb to kerb scooters, on the other side there is kerb to kerb scooters. Unfortunately we never get to see what happens when the barriers are moved aside. Big Cry Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

It was prob the most interesting section of the train journey through VN. The topography was much more varied than further north which was mostly flat with rice paddies and hills in the background. Today was spot the crop. Rice, rubber, trees for charcoal, pepper, cassava, dragon fruit, sugar cane and a new crop, solar panels. For a country that grows on virtually every available sq metre it does seem a bit off to see solar panel farms. Rolling Eyes

For anyone that doesn’t know what a dragon fruit is, these are what the “tree” looks like. Rubbish pics as dirty windows, well that’s my excuse. Whistle The fruit looks dramatic but tastes a bit mah.

Click image to enlarge

And we’re back in HCMC, it’s been a while but it hasn’t changed at all. A short walk from the station to the bus stop, crossing a road that was just a conveyor belt of scooters. Luckily a taxi did a U turn right where we needed a road block, let us half way across. It was fab getting on the bus, it was so over air conditioned it was positively fridge like. Fantastic as it was 32c outside & I was getting soaked.

Click image to enlarge

Once off the bus it was traffic chaos again, and we had to get across it. We have a system for getting across the roads, bear in mind red lights don’t apply to motos.

Click image to enlarge

Now tucked up in the hotel with a lightning storm right on top of us, no plans to go out & get soaked. Thumbs Up

Post #20977285th Nov 2019 3:28 pm
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Back to the "civilisation" of HCMC Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

and you're still complaining about the weather............ soooooo British Whistle Whistle
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #20977615th Nov 2019 5:46 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Weather was good, just need a bit of acclimatisation and/or AC. Whistle

Should be a nice 31c today. Thumbs Up

Post #20978656th Nov 2019 1:13 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Morning/afternoon/evening folks, depending on location. Whistle

Last day in VN, just a day bumbling around central HCMC, nothing much to do apart from check out where to get the bus to Phnom Penh tomorrow. Oh and, most importantly, buying a pair of shorts for travelling in. The ones I have are consigned to lounging and slobbing. Thumbs Up

First job, check out how to get to the Giant Ibis pickup point tomorrow morning. Fine looking bus. We need a bus as those pesky French colonialists didn’t join Saigon & Phnom Penh by train. Rolling Eyes

And proof of the pud, today’s bus to Cambodia and it left spot on time wise.

Click image to enlarge

The traffic here is such that routes are planned on the basis of crossing roads, whether there are light controlled crossings (sometimes more dangerous) or whether we can find a quieter crossing. Soooooooooooooooo looking forward to quieter streets of PP. Fingers crossed.

Then off to the local(ish) market for a look around. Lots of clever T-shirts I’d never wear, all pretty pricey so will save my t-shirt purchase for Cambodia. Mind you this might work for SWMBO. Thumbs Up

I did briefly think about one of these as a wall hanging for the back of the downstairs loo’s door, as a surprise, but wasn’t sure I’d have gotten them home (CITES & all that, plus declarations going into Aus) or survived SWMBO’s first visit to said loo. Whistle Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Off looking for shorts, mission successful via a Japanese department store where we bought our Japan Rail passes back in May. Good to see they are ramping up the Chrimbo message. This time in 32c. Thumbs Up The AC in the store was suuuuuuuuperb, very Chrimbo like. Mr. Green

Click image to enlarge

Here’s an ex appt block in central HCMC that’s been converted into cafes. Lady in the pic was gearing up for a selfie, and was amused that she was in my pic. Well you gotta have a scale, plus standing around in 32c until she’d finished wasn’t on the cards:thumbsup:

Click image to enlarge

Briefly backed to the Saigon River, well until it started raining. Watched a couple of barges going past then it was bus time back to the hotel and coolness. Thumbs Up

In the Circle K beside the hotel, water from Lake Baikal!! We could have brought a load with us and made a fortune!!

Click image to enlarge

Instead settled for a can of coffee’s nuclear option. Booooootiful stuff.

Click image to enlarge

Just planning scoffing out & about tonight, going to leave HCMC with a bang. Hopefully not! Laughing Laughing Shocked

Post #20978826th Nov 2019 9:30 am
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

With the nuclear coffee I'm guessing you are over your man-flu........or is this the cure? Rolling with laughter
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #20979046th Nov 2019 11:38 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Apart from an annoying cough that’s not shifting, man flu is gone. For now, hopefully for the rest of the trip. Thumbs Up

Hope you lot are hungry, a few pics to feed y’all. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And to follow that lot, lots of sweets. The Vietnamese certainly have a sweet tooth. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Re the T-shirt I was looking at, this is the bad boy. However I doubt I’d ever wear it out & about. A clever Tee but too clever.

Click image to enlarge

I had a look at a Bia Saigon tee but even a XXXXL was too tight. And too heavy material, it being “winter” here. Will try again for a beer tee in Phnom Penh. Thumbs Up

Post #20979206th Nov 2019 12:11 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

And greetings from Cambodia, well the restaurant/duty free complex in no-man’s land. Thumbs Up

Cheers all, it’s 31c & the sun is shining. Mr. Green

Click image to enlarge

Here’s hoping they let us in!! Laughing

PS, oh and on the Khmer food already. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Post #20980597th Nov 2019 7:20 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Now in nice hotel in Phnom Penh. Often in these hotels you get a cold towel and welcome drink today was a first, welcome ginger & honey ice cream. Really nice. Thumbs Up

Was a bit of a long drive but interesting to see the change from Vietnam to Cambodia. A few pics from the day.

Our last major crossing in HCMC, all went fine, don’t know what the fuss is about. Rolling Eyes Whistle Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Good to see traffic through the windows of the bus. And this is our first international bus for both of us. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

And this is the only accident we saw the consequences of in VN. He’s busy putting it all back together, totally oblivious of the chaos all around him. Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Another fruit in VN/Asia that’s not that common back home, Jack Fruit. Tastes bit like banana with a bit of a rubbery texture. I like it, SWMBO’s not that keen.

Click image to enlarge

SA-2 & SA-3 batteries on display at an VN Army’s base when heading out of HCMC.

Click image to enlarge

We had the usual stops for picking up passengers, comfort breaks, customs, immigrations etc. And one for the driver to pick up a little something for we’re assuming is his little daughter. The bear got one of the best views in the bus. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Into Cambodia, all went no probs with getting stamped out of VN and got a visa on arrival for Cambodia. All straight forward and sorted by the bus chap for US$2 each, plus visa fees. Cambodia mostly uses good old Uncle Sam’s wonga. Bought a very nice $4 bottle of Californian VC which is being quaffed now. Thumbs Up

One of a fair few temple complexes. Rubbish pics as bus has a tint film on the window.

Click image to enlarge

The mighty Mekong passing over the massive bridge at Neak Leuong. If my history and memory of The Killing Fields book is correct, the town that was hit by an accidental B-52 strike when the radar nav had his settings wrong.

Click image to enlarge

And finally, on the drive in to Phnom Penh, how’s this for packing? And all without the D3 style lower tailgate. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #20981237th Nov 2019 2:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 22 of 44 <123 ... 212223 ... 424344>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >