DISCO4.COM > Spotted

Guy Salmon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Thud

My point about Traffic Cops focused on the chap who bought the van which turned out to be cloned ...one of the identifying aspects highlighted by the bobby was the number plate without the required name and postcode.

So if everyone was aware of this "futile" law then it might save them from losing thousands buying a ringer eh
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #14752612th Apr 2007 5:07 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

SPOTTER wrote:

ARe personl aplates less liely to get cloned than normal plates or more likely? (thinking out loud there)

I'd reason they're less likely; there seem to be two purposes to cloning - ringing and avoiding fines/duties.

if one is 'ringing' a car for a quick sale, a personal plate is more likely to cause the punter to ask questions, so a standard plate would be better.
If one is trying to avoid payment of charges, one wouldn't want to attract the extra scrutiny of traffic wardens, policemen or CCTV operators, so again a standard plate would again seem a better bet.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #14753012th Apr 2007 5:16 pm
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

DG wrote:
Thud

My point about Traffic Cops focused on the chap who bought the van which turned out to be cloned ...one of the identifying aspects highlighted by the bobby was the number plate without the required name and postcode.

So if everyone was aware of this "futile" law then it might save them from losing thousands buying a ringer eh

good point the chap did mention that about the number plate...surely not beyond the wit of a ringer to add a postcode to his sticker though........

Have to admit didn't check my D3 before buying it.........
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #14753312th Apr 2007 5:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

DrLex wrote:
SPOTTER wrote:

ARe personl aplates less liely to get cloned than normal plates or more likely? (thinking out loud there)

I'd reason they're less likely; there seem to be two purposes to cloning - ringing and avoiding fines/duties.

if one is 'ringing' a car for a quick sale, a personal plate is more likely to cause the punter to ask questions, so a standard plate would be better.
If one is trying to avoid payment of charges, one wouldn't want to attract the extra scrutiny of traffic wardens, policemen or CCTV operators, so again a standard plate would again seem a better bet.

must be worth it,seems to be big business!!! Shocked
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #14753812th Apr 2007 5:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I would rather have Guy Salmon on my plates than Halfords or Charlie Browns.

Post #14761212th Apr 2007 7:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >