DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

GVIF installation - SEVERE PROBLEMS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Wim Verloop

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
GVIF installation - SEVERE PROBLEMS

Hi all,

we're trying to install the multimedia GVIF module here, but the installation guide does not match. We have the multimedia GVIF but the only manual we can find is the "standard" GVIF manual. ANyone know what to do?

We tried to contact Hids4u but Kim doesn't get hold of Ian, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Furthermore, since we couldn't get things working we remoevd the GVIF module and now the satnav screen is flickering. Anyone knows a cure for that?

Many many thanks... it is supposed to be my first holiday and the car would be finished yesterday, but nothing seems to work right now, all help is welcome!

Thanks,
Desperate Wim Big Cry

Post #67179814th Jul 2010 12:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gene_Genie

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi,

What exactly is not working/going wrong?

Post #67180814th Jul 2010 1:08 pm
timjstone

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

For the Flickering, i would check that you have put the plug back in correctly.

For not working, i had fun with the switches to get it to work. I think all the manuals you get on the web are fine for the Dip Switches, the problem is with the cables for power etc. the ones you need to use should be labelled (i think Ian said that originally on the long thread!).

Have you tried all the normal checks, that power is going to the box, LEDs light up etc

a few questions:

what are you trying to connect to the box?
which AV inputs are you using?
Are you connecting a rear camera?

I will help you to set the dip switches up.

Post #67180914th Jul 2010 1:17 pm
Gene_Genie

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Also check the the cable going to and from the dvd unit and the GVIF being upside down. When I connected mine up a message came up on the screen saying 'no nav available'. I unplugged the cable and re-inserted the other way and it sprung into life.

Post #67181714th Jul 2010 1:52 pm
Wim Verloop

The problem is that we have a wrong wiring schedule apparently, we cannot get the GVIF working...

Worst, after we removed it, the nav computer does not work; it makes the screen flicker and has to be disconnected!
We received the GF08TW v6.2 but Hds4u sent us the wiring schedule for the V5.1, we think the problems lies somewhere in there.

Regards,
Wim

Post #67181914th Jul 2010 2:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
timjstone

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Wim

In my gallery is the document for the GVIF 6.1 version. i think the only difference is that the FM transmitter was removed for 6.2. the wiring should be the same

Be careful BTW with the dip switches as i mentioned earlier (6 must be OFF).

Post #67182014th Jul 2010 2:13 pm
Wim Verloop

Thanks everyone for the quick responses!

We are at the stage of giving up unfortunately, we can't get it working.

Best regards,
Wim

Post #67189914th Jul 2010 6:27 pm
Wim Verloop

Hi all,

I spoke with Ian just now, we feel the GVIF is NOT the problem; a wrap up of yesterday and today:
- we installed the camera and the GVIF according the v5.1 manual (with soldering the cables on the CAN etc etc)
- when putting the car in reverse the screen starts flickering; we can not find the cause
- we removed the GVIF and put all cabling in its original place
- we put the key in and after a couple of seconds the screen starts flickering again
- if we disconnect the nav computer, the screen is steady as always
- when we connect either one of the cables of the nav comp (the black one with all the cables or the blue square one) the nav sat screen starts flickering again
- when we disconnect one of the before mentioned cables the flickering stops
- we went to an official LR dealer and the computer finds a CAN disruption but they cannot upgrade nor re-install the nav software
- we connected a new nav comp to see if the computer itself was causing the problem: NO, the flickering stays even with a new nav comp

On the phone with Ian I hussled the cables around (while the nav comp was connected and flickering) and the flickering differs a bit while shaking and pulling. Conclusion: the cabling has gone bad??

Again many thanks for all the quick responses; we're off for our holiday tomorrow morning. Heading for Avignon, I checked: they have an official LR dealer down there! Smile

Best regards,
Wim

Post #67196214th Jul 2010 9:06 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

have you tried disconnecting the Canbus connections and just using the remote button, it would sound to me to be the cause of your issues by your description?
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #67196614th Jul 2010 9:10 pm
Wim Verloop

we removed the GVIF completely including all cabling. So basically we are back at where we started. The extra feature is the flickering... Wink

I'm not sure if I can just cut some CAN cables in the sat nav comp connectors?

Post #67197414th Jul 2010 9:18 pm
hids4u

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Wim
Thanks for posting a follow up note
I will get the manual updated to state that HIDS4U does not recommend connecting the canbus wires.
These systems are too sensitive and a surge can do damage - plus if anything fails with the DVD etc within warranty the dealer may well see the can bus has been played with and refuse warranty

Given the can bus connection is only to allow you to toggle and you can do this with the little button and also the remote - why bother.

Also the fitter took the power to the GVIF unit from the power feed to the DVD player. This is not a good idea as again tampering with original wires. The power is not big less than 20w so it can easily be taken from the cig lighter/aux supply in the console. i will add this note to the instructions also.

Regards

Ian

Post #67198314th Jul 2010 9:34 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

so this bit:
hids4u wrote:
Hi Wim

Also the fitter took the power to the GVIF unit from the power feed to the DVD player.

Regards

Ian

was this done with scotchlok type piercing cable connectors? if so maybe they have interrupted the power feed?
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #67202414th Jul 2010 11:03 pm
Wim Verloop

Well, it looks like that yes.

The thing is that when one of the cables is connected, there is no problem. But as soon both are connected the screen flickers for all functions, like 4x4 etc. So it looks like there could be something with the sat nav screen getting a wrong signal from the nav comp.

If this could be caused by bad wiring to the sat nav screen we had have an additional opportunity to look in to.

Regards,
Wim

Post #67209015th Jul 2010 8:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >