Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

H E L P Please..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ajbristol

United Kingdom 
H E L P Please..

Hi all, seems this could be the place to help me out in my quandary ! I have a Webasto Thermo Top V FBH, it was originally fitted in an old VW estate I had when I scrapped it I decided to remove the heater thinking it might be useful one day. That day has arrived now unlike the Thermo Top C's the V uses an 8 pin plug which seems to be the same as the LR ones ? When I removed the heater I did not take any control equipment, obviously now I find I want to refit the heater in my current vehicle and as I understand the VW used its canbus system to operate the heater. So my question is do you think I might be able to operate it via the K system as the LR ones can be ?? (from memory pin2 on the 8way). Also do you think Webasto would have used/left the other pins (although not used in vw config) as the same layout as other Thermo top's.... ie pin1=start. pin2=WBus?. pin3=thermal switch pin4=CanLow. pin5=Dosing Pump. pin6=Summer/Winter switch. pin7=CanBus High. pin8=interior fan switch.

As far as I know the 1533 timer uses the Kbus to switch the heater on/off ??

Ideally I don't want to use a timer as I can fire it up 20mins before I leave home manually (not a problem) so a simple on/off switch would be the best option for me.

Does this sound about right ?? Anyone know for sure ?? I've not been brave enough to connect anything up just yet as I don't want to blow it up !

Any advice or if anyone lives around Bristol Bath areas, I'd be happy to come to them.

Thank you for reading this, hopefully you'll be able to assist me in getting this heater going again to warm up the old bus first thing in the morning ?

Post #174929715th Dec 2016 3:44 pm
Dazz360

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

eBay this will talk with your heater put a switch to break communication with it
 Metal auto sump & fluid change (3 hrs)
LR door puddle projectors (10 mins)
Tinted Bonnet wind deflector (10 mins)
All Intercooler pipes and Tbolts (2hrs)
3 injectors replaced so far (30mins)
Sunroof drain pipes both sides 2.5 hrs)
Rear discs, shoes,pads,callipers,flexi hoses, rigid brake line, n/s upper hub carrier bush and rear n/s upper arm (13hrs over 2 days) 

Post #174949915th Dec 2016 9:08 pm
ajbristol

United Kingdom 

I had seen one of those on ebay but was unsure if it would work with my VW unit, I have now sent the seller a question so hopefully this will be the simple answer to my problem. THANK YOU for your help. Just got to work out how to set it all up now...lol.

I've just ordered a simple 12v 7 day timer and a GSM switch so hopefully I can have numerous options once I get the converter set up.

Cannot wait to get some heat in the mornings... its no fun scrapping the windscreen at 4am, now I'll just set the timer or text it to turn on 20mins or so before I leave.

Thanks again

Post #174951815th Dec 2016 9:32 pm
Dazz360

For my D3 I made a set up so I can switch mine on with the landrover key button
It runs for a set time and also switches it's self off or shuts down when it's reached a pre set temperature
I've got all the bits on here for what's needed
Rear discs, shoes,pads,callipers,flexi hoses, rigid brake line, n/s upper hub carrier bush and rear n/s upper arm (13hrs over 2 days) 

Post #175003016th Dec 2016 10:00 pm
ajbristol

United Kingdom 

Yes thanks, I have been reading the posts about all the testing etc thats been done and all very interesting reading. I think I've found all the info I need for now to run it up on a test rig, I'm just awaiting on the arrival of the obdll lead, it should be here hopefully Monday or Tuesday, I've even been out and got 3ltr of fresh diesel all ready to go, shouldn't take to long to knock up the wiring for testing purposes. I have had a response from the guy on ebay selling the Kbus converters, he said if the FBH works using the pc testing software via the Kbus lead (Kline call it what you will) then his converter will work, so before I spend another £30+ on external bits I might or might not need, I'm holding off on the ordering of it, but now I know what I need if it runs... wooo hooo I'll be a happy bunny if it runs.

As far as I can work out all I need to test is:-
12v + &- to the power plug of the fbh and also same to the OBDll plug pin16=12v+ and pin4or5=ground/negative, I'll also need two wires for the dosing pump. Connect the Kbus lead from the OBDll plug (pin7 to pin2 of the fbh multiplug).
A couple of fuse holders and some small croc clips to battery (which I think I already have).

My only query so far is I assume the negative has to be common between the test lead (OBDll) and the case or ground pin of the power plug as I assume the Kbus needs effectively 2 wires to operate, not just the one to pin2 ? (remembering that this is not fitted to a vehicle as yet, so no common ground).

Thanks (again)

Post #175004816th Dec 2016 10:26 pm
Dazz360

The image I put up of mine is 4 wires
Red = + positive constant or jump across from orange trigger wire
Black = - negative ,ground body
Orange = trigger wire when triggered constant 12v + positive
Green = k bus signal wire to Fbh

Post #175042117th Dec 2016 9:41 pm
ajbristol

United Kingdom 

Thanks for that, I have seen the images, all very helpful even though it seems pinout could be different ? (which has been part of the issue with trying to work out whats what) Mine (currently) only has three pins populated on the 8 pin plug those being pin5 = dosing pump, Pin 4 & 7 are canbus High and Low (from memory). As soon as that OBDll lead arrives (hopefully Mon or Tues I will be setting up a test rig at front of garage, don't want to be poisoned to death on first start (optimistic that its going to run first time...lol) .

Andrew

PS. Not my plug but one the same... found on google images

Post #175042917th Dec 2016 10:11 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Pin 2 is WBUS on the VW plug too
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #175043617th Dec 2016 10:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ajbristol

United Kingdom 

Thank you Martin, yes I was going on that assumption tbh, I'm going to leave the two canbus leads insulated and cable tied together so the only pins that will have connection should be pin5 = dosing pump, and pin2 = Wbus. At a guess and again as an assumption the other remaining pins MAY be the usual suspects, ie. summer/winter switch etc etc. The only other pin I would like to establish if possible is I think pin 8 possibly an external fan control (for the vehicles interior fan operation, via a relay of course) so will check if it has an output when FBH running ?

Some of the other bits have arrived today.... GSM switch, I managed to pick one up direct from the usual company (Lewis Rendal) for £25.03 inc postage and Sim card, apparently the new 2017 model (not the one shown) so very happy as it seemed very reasonable.

Click image to enlarge

Andrew

Post #175046318th Dec 2016 12:09 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Andrew have you got a link to the GSM unit please as that seems very reasonable price Thumbs Up thanks
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #175048518th Dec 2016 7:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ajbristol

United Kingdom 

I found it on ebay... just searched for GSM switch and went for the cheapest option with the seller "lewisrendal" I went with the DUAL relay type as he also offers a single but the dual is only a pound or two more and if nothing else I can use the second channel (relay) to turn on the cars heater fan a short while after starting the FBH, as there is a delay function which you can set, its all very cleaver stuff....

£29.99 Buy it now, He may have some on auction so check his other items he's selling.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GSM-2-x-Relays-E...Sw-0xYTZQE

Best of luck

Post #175053118th Dec 2016 10:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >