DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Halogen lights alignment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

MJIbex wrote:
in the centre of the pattern all is fine

Not so. The halogen beams are way above the fence in the centre. The flat line of the halogens doesn't magically flatten, just keeps going skywards.
 Home of LLAMS, for LRs and Jeep GCs  
Post #70800325th Oct 2010 3:16 am
Popelka

Czech Republic 

to really see the halogen pattern cant you just unplug the Bi-xeons, there appears to be more light on the gate especially on the right side where the xeons is flat topped.
also MLIbex states his are NON-ADAPTIVE will there be a difference, one should hope not as the adaptive part is according to others when the car changes attitude with baking / accelerating etc. (do the adaptive turn sideways with cornering or have LR gone with side infills ?)

maybe video a slow drive up the the wall/gate with and without halogen on to see the difference !!

[of cause the real solution is to convince SWMBO that you need to buy some really big/bright spots Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter )
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #70800825th Oct 2010 5:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GraemeS

Another picture closer to the gate would reveal the missing section of the halogens, but would reduce the gap between the bi-xenons and halogens making it look as though there's not much of a problem. A taller gate or building would show just how skywards the halogen beams get with a bit more distance. The halogen lights are mounted lower on the vehicle than the bi-xenons yet even at the distance in the picture, the halogen beam has crossed-over and by a significant degree.
Post #70801225th Oct 2010 6:11 am
trebaix

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Reading through all the D4 articles I have comes across this one. I am preparing to change my 56 plate Range Rover TDV8 for a D4 (hence my reading) and if it is of interest I have had the same problem with my RR lights since new. The whole unit is moved when adjusted, it is not possible to independantly lower the halogen light relative to the zenon. Potential good idea but stupid execution. I am convinced my old Classic RR's and P38's with uprated headlamp bulbs and a pair of Cibie Super Oscars were better than these zenon things which I agree have a wide spread but no long range penetration along the road.

Colin

Post #72117025th Nov 2010 11:52 pm
GraemeS

I've been looking at the Australian Design Rules for gas discharge headlights (ADR 77/00). These regulations specify that the high beam must produce a particular amount of light at 2 specific distances left and right of the centre of the low beam beam cut-off and on the same horizontal line when shone on a screen 25 metres away. I don't have a suitable meter but the halogens don't contribute any light on that horizontal line and I doubt the bi-xenons produce enough width to satisfy the tests.

The Oz approval was granted in June 2009, before production started in earnest so perhaps the design or manufacturing process was changed afterwards, but maybe the bi-xenons do indeed produce enough light at the sides to pass the tests. I have advised the certifying authority of this possible non-compliance, although I suspect I'm not the first to do so.
Post #72121926th Nov 2010 7:37 am
RSAChris

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Anyone got a fix for this yet?

It seems that all the people I talk to here in RSA (7 so far) has the same issue with missalignment. And yes, LR can't do anything about it.

I want to open up the headlight assembly tomorrow to see if I could fiddle.... Twisted Evil

Cheers
Christo
 Proud owner of an IIDTool
2010 Disco 4 TDV6 SE
R2D3 the 2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE... gone now
Romulus [Defender 110 CSW Td5] will always be missed
Rofty [Defender 110 CSW Td5] first Td5 and start of motor electronics...
www.flickr.com/photos/the_steyns 

Post #88278313th Jan 2012 6:19 am
RSAChris

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

OK, so I took the headlamp assembly off and inspected ....

The plastic moulding for the fill-in Halogen is part and parcel of the base where the Xenon is fitted - so no adjustments here. The Xenon is fixed to the plastic moulding with 4 screws - plainly fixed, no adjustable thingy - nothing. And as previously said, the adjustment screws are for this complete contraption and no individual adjustment can be made... well uhmmm normally that is.

I gathered that the Xenon lamp had to be pointed to where the Halogen is pointing, so I loosened the Xenon fixture 4 screws and while on High-Beam, saw that the Xenon-fixture should be tilted about 4mm. I then inserted 4mm spacers between the top 2 screws and tighten... Heeha... both Xenon and Halogen then focused in the same spot. I then used the usual adjustment screws to adjust the whole assembly back down to where they should be.
All well and happy now.

Cheers
Christo
 Proud owner of an IIDTool
2010 Disco 4 TDV6 SE
R2D3 the 2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE... gone now
Romulus [Defender 110 CSW Td5] will always be missed
Rofty [Defender 110 CSW Td5] first Td5 and start of motor electronics...
www.flickr.com/photos/the_steyns 

Post #88829925th Jan 2012 11:59 am
SJ

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have the same problem with the halogens too high I can see further up the sides of the hills around where I live than I can up the road Shocked
Has anyone else tried Christo's remedy?

Post #90032422nd Feb 2012 6:40 pm
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Apparently nobody else has tried it. I would be concerned that the gap created by the spacers would allow moisture in.

Post #100202112th Nov 2012 12:10 am
GraemeS

I had a stab at loosening the screws enough to make a 4mm gap for the top but felt that I'd end-up with the screws falling out so ceased. Are the fitted screws long enough to allow a 4mm gap and how was the spacer fitted as the screws are not particularly acccessible?

Update: Fitted a small 3.3mm thick nut under the top screw on the fill-in light side only (couldn't get access to fit one under the other top screw) to 1 light last night which brought the fill-in beam right down once the low beam was re-aligned, with the other side done thismorning. My HID fill-ins may now be a little low because I filed-off the globes' lower tabs to point the globes so if indeed too low, I'll build-up the tabs to their original heights to straighten the globes.
Definitely not possum lights anymore - thanks Christo.
Post #102606430th Dec 2012 6:13 am
Kimi

GraemeS wrote:
I had a stab at loosening the screws enough to make a 4mm gap for the top but felt that I'd end-up with the screws falling out so ceased. Are the fitted screws long enough to allow a 4mm gap and how was the spacer fitted as the screws are not particularly acccessible?

Update: Fitted a small 3.3mm thick nut under the top screw on the fill-in light side only (couldn't get access to fit one under the other top screw) to 1 light last night which brought the fill-in beam right down once the low beam was re-aligned, with the other side done thismorning. My HID fill-ins may now be a little low because I filed-off the globes' lower tabs to point the globes so if indeed too low, I'll build-up the tabs to their original heights to straighten the globes.
Definitely not possum lights anymore - thanks Christo.
Any update on this? How was the fix, any issues afterwards? Any issues with the dust now having access the the inside of Xenon projector? Any problems (like horizontal alignment) when having the spacer under only one screw?

Being a new MY10 D4 owner, I noticed this issue right away. I had a quick look into the headlight assembly and was able to spot the Xenon fitting screws. Access is quite limited, but it may be possible to access one screws through the halogen high beam side like GraemeS mentioned above. I hope the fix would be reliable enough using just one spacer.

Post #10853859th Apr 2013 6:30 am
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I'm just reading this old thread for the first time and I wondered if, at least in some cases, that the halogen H7 main beam bulb might be incorrectly fitted, I.E. rotated in it's holder by a few degrees so that it doesn't sit flat against it's base correctly, this would cause it to tip a few degrees to one side and shift the focus away from it's proper position ??
 Clive

Post #10854309th Apr 2013 9:19 am
Kimi

crwoody wrote:
I'm just reading this old thread for the first time and I wondered if, at least in some cases, that the halogen H7 main beam bulb might be incorrectly fitted, I.E. rotated in it's holder by a few degrees so that it doesn't sit flat against it's base correctly, this would cause it to tip a few degrees to one side and shift the focus away from it's proper position ??
I think this is a wider problem. It was even mentioned back in 2010 when the biggest car magazine in Finland had an 5 car SUV test. They noticed the same thing on their D4 and reported the problem back to LR. But obviously there hasn't been any recall on this.

Back to solution finding: I struggled fitting the spacer under the xenon fitting screw. Had too big hands for such a limited space and also problems lifting the xenon assembly high enough to fit the nut spacer in the gap, not sure why. Nevertheless above post gave me an idea. I took the halogen bulb out and bent the outer ring such a way that when bulb was fitted back, it was slightly tilted. That brought halogen high beam slightly lower and now matches the xenon beam much better. This is not the most elegant solution, it would be nice to find some tapered spacer which would tilt the bulb without need to physically bend the bulb itself. But it works for now, thanks for bringing up this idea Thumbs Up.

Post #10858749th Apr 2013 9:27 pm
GraemeS

My single spacer fix has given no trouble, with the alignment still correct and plenty of rough roads to shake it loose if it was possible. No problem with dust entry because the bi-xenon assembly mounts are all inside the headlight assembly.
I had previously tried slanting my H7 HID replacments but couldn't get enough improvement. Slanted globes also extend the beam vertically leaving the top still in the trees.
Post #111793716th Jun 2013 5:57 am
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

MJIbex wrote:
So is it a fact that the beams can not be adjusted in relation to each other? (as this is what I have been told). Mine looks like this (Xenons - non adaptive):-

Dipped Beam
Click image to enlarge

Full Beam
Click image to enlarge

Mark.

same observation for my MY2011. But maybe it was wanted .....
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #186992818th Oct 2017 6:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >