DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

What happens if
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 
What happens if

There are 2 of you in the D4 driving along, passanger had key thingie in his pocket, driver doesn't, car running fine. Passanger gets dropped off at station & jumps on a train with key thingie, car still running as driver is heading home. What happens?? I know U get a warning about key thingie not being there and as the car hasn't been shut down whether it will start again is not applicable as it won't.

Does the car shut down, potentially in the middle of the M25 in rush hour, what does it do?? Thoughts peeps as LRE guy didn't know and was not happy with me driving without him! Rolling Eyes

Post #6435111st May 2010 8:24 am
kenny

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

I guess the response your looking for is... Is that the D3 is far better so why buy a D4??

In reality, you would love the D4, especially with a 3.0l in it... Soooo sweet!!

But the key thing is an issue as are the 19" rims.. If you read the forums, and dont own one that is..

Just being the devils advocate here, by the way Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post #6435171st May 2010 8:36 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

No, it doesn't shut down, but if the engine is stopped, or stops, you cannot start it again.

Post #6435211st May 2010 8:51 am
Popelka

Czech Republic 

I dont understand why you guys with D4 haven't tested this to see what actually will happen; I mean is the range or havent you said it needs to be INSIDE before car see it, but I suspect as winger states will be OK until first engine off then your stuck.
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #6436021st May 2010 2:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL

Ukraine 

Cheers Winger, thought it would. Reason I ask is it is just the sort if thing that I'd do, SWMBO drops me off somewhere & heads off, I'd pat my pocket and utter "oh s##t, I've got the key thingie". Embarassed Embarassed

Post #6436041st May 2010 2:23 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Kenny, had about 3 hours offroad on a freebie half day and TBH apart from the cameras and HDC being a LOT quiter its same old, same old as D3. Onroad it's nice and nimble but not that much different from a remapped D3. Worth £50k, or the daily budget of a small country?? Nah, will stick with my old banger. Whistle Whistle

Besides what would I do with my 17" & 18" wheel/tyre stocks?? I'd have to sell them and that would put the vultures into a feeding frenzy! Whistle Big Cry

Post #6436051st May 2010 2:29 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

Popelka wrote:
I dont understand why you guys with D4 haven't tested this to see what actually will happen; I mean is the range or havent you said it needs to be INSIDE before car see it, but I suspect as winger states will be OK until first engine off then your stuck.

I wasn't speculating; I was answering the question.

Post #6436471st May 2010 4:14 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Or you could make the engine stop as soon as the key wanst seen after a set time in seconds then the passanger would not get home on the train before you relised and you wolud not get stuck in that possition Thumbs Up

Watch this space.

Pete

Post #6437161st May 2010 7:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Popelka

Czech Republic 

I wasnt saying anything against you winger Embarassed , I just havent read of any of the D4 gang trying out some of these features; I always read questions and nothing stating that it was tested and the result IS........
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #6437201st May 2010 7:55 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

I can confirm, then, that I have tried it.

I'd also consider, from a safety perspective, any uncommanded shutdown modification to try and deal with the result of the key being separated to have the potential to be extremely dangerous. Not a wise path to follow in my view.

Post #6437351st May 2010 9:09 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I'm waiting for the d5, mag alloy based jag frame, 2 tonnes and a tdv8 Razz . just hope theres a version cheap enough. dont think i'll wait for a hybrid even if it uses capacitors intead of batteries.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #6437391st May 2010 9:17 pm
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

A missing key message appears immediately the key is outside the vehicle, well within the audible range of the horn!

Post #6440182nd May 2010 7:40 pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Well,as is usually the case, Winger is right on all counts.

We have inadvertently tried this, SWMBO changed cars with the father-out-law and kept the key for the D4 with her. He got 10 miles down the road, and fortunately called to ask how to stop the engine when she realised she had the key. Rolling Eyes

As for the engine stopping after a set length of time, or for that matter at all, total insanity!!!

Imagine being left in a stream of traffic at 40mph with no power steering and limited servo capacity, a recipe for disaster if ever there was one Shocked
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #6444203rd May 2010 8:12 pm
disco XS

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

tried it, my works office key is on my disco key, opened office got something out, jumped back in truck leaving key in office door, selected D, moved a foot and warning buzzers sounded that key was no longer found, htought at the time thats clever Laughing Laughing

Post #6445004th May 2010 7:24 am
slots

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

as soon as the key is taken out of the car with the engine running you get a warning message on the display and a red triangle to tell you so you shouldn't get to far without noticing.

Post #6445014th May 2010 7:37 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >