Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Hard shell roof tent
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
greg00

Switzerland 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

@Aerialmark: My phone didn‘t show the picture of your camp setup until now. Wow, what a complete and fantastic base camp you had! I can understand the switch to a motorhome. Sometimes I look at these huge 4x4 Sprinter Vans and think ... maybe Rolling with laughter

Post #21187545th Feb 2020 8:31 pm
greg00

Disco3Ben wrote:

how have you done it / what have you done to your suspension in this pic?! just realised how low the front is and how extended the rear is!

Ben
You have to use the IID tool >Service/Test>RLM Suspension>Test Valves
There you can set each wheel height individually. I think you need to activate built mode to keep it. Exit built mode when you’re ready to move on and the suspension goes back to normal. There may be a smarter way to do it that I don‘t know of but it works for me this way.
Best thing - I always sleep 100% horizontal and no more hauling huge rocks to level - just pick any place you like. Actually on some rare occasion I still do - but these are not typical camping grounds Rolling with laughter
I glued this bubble gauge on my Terrain Response-knob. It has the same diameter and looks almost factory for 2€ Rolling with laughter

https://a.aliexpress.com/_U1AjP

Post #21187615th Feb 2020 8:54 pm
greg00

BTW sorry G15MTS, I didn‘t meant to hijack your thread Wink

Post #21187695th Feb 2020 9:29 pm
Aerialmark

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yes apologies Embarassed
 The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the best of everything they have. 

Post #21190066th Feb 2020 7:08 pm
Ben4

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Excellent. Thanks for the info 👍

greg00 wrote:
Disco3Ben wrote:

how have you done it / what have you done to your suspension in this pic?! just realised how low the front is and how extended the rear is!

Ben
You have to use the IID tool >Service/Test>RLM Suspension>Test Valves
There you can set each wheel height individually. I think you need to activate built mode to keep it. Exit built mode when you’re ready to move on and the suspension goes back to normal. There may be a smarter way to do it that I don‘t know of but it works for me this way.
Best thing - I always sleep 100% horizontal and no more hauling huge rocks to level - just pick any place you like. Actually on some rare occasion I still do - but these are not typical camping grounds Rolling with laughter
I glued this bubble gauge on my Terrain Response-knob. It has the same diameter and looks almost factory for 2€ Rolling with laughter

https://a.aliexpress.com/_U1AjP
 formerly Disco3Ben

2016 D4, Santorini Black
2007 D3, Black - sold 

Post #21190136th Feb 2020 7:21 pm
HI SOOB

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi,

I went for the Ikamper.

Reasons, speed of set up and quality.

We have only used it a couple of time since we got it last summer.
Photo here is of the week we got the Tent itself.
We were waiting for the Annex to be delivered.

The set up now consists of the RTT, Annex and I also have a LandRover Day tent and tunnel that goes on the rear.
Overall, it gives a massive amount of space and can be set up in 30 minutes if I put them all up.
Or if only setting up the RTT, all in its about 5 minutes, by the time you tuck cords in etc.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #21192207th Feb 2020 12:36 pm
greg00

iKamper is an excellent tent.
I tried it and the space is palatial.
We had to decide between flexibility of an alloy tent with bigger cargo space inside when closed with the possibility of using the tent itself as a roof rack or a lot lot more sleeping space. It was a tough decision since we travel with 2 kids.

Post #21192547th Feb 2020 2:29 pm
pwheeldon

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi,

How do you store the ladders? Have you considered using them on the tailgate? I know theyre probably too heavy, but it is something I am thinking of, and if needs be getting upgraded struts.
 Discovery 4 GS 2009 Auto Stornoway Grey
Discovery 3 s 2005 Auto Bonatti Grey Gone
Discovery 3 SE 2005 Manual Zambezi Silver Gone
Range Rover Sport HSE 2006 Black
Aston Martin DB7 VV 

Post #21192557th Feb 2020 2:32 pm
HI SOOB

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The ladder on the Ikamper is telescopic, so when you pack it away, it slips neatly into a bag and is used to fold the leaf back inside before pulling the hard shell down.

Check out the videos on YouTube as it becomes apparent as to how it all works.

Post #21192647th Feb 2020 2:53 pm
G15MTS

Sweden 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3

Thats ok thread jackers, all interesting stuff! Been a very busy week so just catching up now.

At the moment I have a more fundamental problem than will a James Baroud fit on the standard bars/rails... Nobody in the UK I have contacted is carrying James Baroud any more, they're struggling to get the supply...

I continue with the other parts though, so far: A bar, snorkel, Pirelli AT plus, roof bars, cargo barrier, ARB 47 litre fridge, Camp Chef Everest stove and probably a few other bits I've already forgotten. I have someone designing a simple drawer set up for the rear and someone arranging a simple dual battery set up too.

Post #21192777th Feb 2020 3:42 pm
greg00

That‘s a serious list of gear!
Where are you planing to go?
Since you’re about to fit the A-bar and RAI for the rough stuff maybe a pair of sill protection like tree bars or sliders would give some extra peace of mind.

Post #21193427th Feb 2020 7:34 pm
G15MTS

I live in Norway so I’ll do a bit touring here (need to collect the car from Edinburgh where it is just now). We go camping most weekends here. So first I’ll be driving Edinburgh to Oslo.

Over the summer I’ll take a month to either do the Pyrenees down into Portugal or Slovenia, Montenegro, Albania area. I’m considering taking a few months at the end of this contract to do more extensive trips.

This summer I’d really like to head to Georgia but the time is just a bit tight to go that far...

You?

Post #21193597th Feb 2020 8:29 pm
greg00

Last summer we were in Croatia. The plan was to go all the way down through Montenegro to Albania.
We spent to much time on the way down in Austria and took it very slow on different Islands of Croatia since it was nice and no need to rush. We even didn‘t make it down to Split.
The following autumn we knew that when we drive down, the same would happen again so I booked a ferry from Ancona to Igoumenitsa in Greece at the border to Albania. The first thing I wanted to see was the monasteries of Meteora - just breath taking!
After that we explored Albania. What a lovely and save country it is with the most kind people I‘ve met in Europe. We don’t like crowded camping places and do mostly wild camping. Albania is just perfect for that. They are building a lot of roads there. Some trails weren‘t trails anymore but perfect new roads. If you want to go, do it now.
I‘m thinking about Morocco next trip but not sure yet. Or maybe it will be Sardinia or Corsica .. again.

Post #21193777th Feb 2020 9:57 pm
G15MTS

Sounds great, yes mostly wild camping for us too. Norway is fantastic for it! Do you think there'll be plenty of nice quiet wild camping in Albania in the height of the summer? This year it's likely we'll have to travel when the schools are on vacation which we generally try to avoid, this year it doesn't seem possible!

HI SOOB, so you mounted your tent on the non extended rails and bars? How is that working out for you? Could you attach an awning to the bars with that set up too?

Post #212117515th Feb 2020 9:14 am
greg00

I haven‘t been to Albania in summer time. I also don‘t know the way you travel.
When we stay at places with civilisation (like at beach near bar, resto) we usually wait till most people are gone before opening the roof tent. In the morning we close it as soon as we’re awake. No ‚base camp’ setup with chairs and tables laying around.
If you avoid touristic places, then there should be plenty of spots for wild camping. Beaches are best in the south of Albania from Vlore down to Greece.
Our favourite spot was Gjipe Beach (say hi to Roberto Wink ) which is only accessible by 4x4. When we arrived there last autumn there were only 4 Defenders and a handful of ground tent guests. It was a peaceful Land Rover meeting .. until a Toyota HZJ78 arrived. Rolling with laughter It may be worth sending your partner down first with a good 2-way radio to hold off the oncoming traffic.
We usually avoid camping places but there‘s a very small and nice camping near Lukove called ‚Gate to Horizon‘.
On the countryside you‘ll find many trails and places to stay for the night, don‘t worry. Trails in the north are great (Valbone) but can be challenging.
I often use the app Park4Night in Europe but isn’t always necessary in Albania.

Post #212133115th Feb 2020 8:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >