Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Harness protection and repair
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Harness protection and repair

I'm after some advice as to what tape I should be using for internal and external harness repairs on the car. The internal tape appears to be made of some sort of fluffy velvet stuff - is this available to us mere comomoners? And what do they use for the external tape? It's not electricians tape, 'cos it's still in place after a jet-wash. Is it self amalgamating tape?

Background

I've recently found several bits of loose or un-protected wire about the car, and I want to protect them before they turn into a repair job or something disasterous happens.

My sat-nav screen harness is rubbing against it's mounting brackets, and needs some form of protection. In fairness there is some fuzzy velvet tape on the wire binding it together - but the unbound section is much wider than the bound bits and it's the unprotected wires rubbing against the sharp edge of the bracket.

The cable clip for the front left wheel sensors has been bound to the loom about two inches away from the hole that it's supposed to clip into, so that's waving in the breeze. I didn't check the other wheels in case I felt obliged to do something about it before going to work Sad When I have the right tape, I'll check them all.

The mass of wires entering the multi-plug under the left rear wheel well are rubbing against the air-suspension tower. They are totaly unprotected and I'm worried about this wearing through and causing shorts/suspension/park brake issues.

Any advice gladly received Smile
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #20442617th Sep 2007 5:53 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

'Proper' loom tape is a rubber -based polymer, non adhesive, but needs sticky closure tape on the ends. This isn't used much these days but i've got loads of closure tape if you need some Wink
The furry stuff is a woven tape and is used to aid fitting (so that the individual wires don't snag when drawing in) and to prevent any noise due to vibration when the vehicle is in service.
Loom building is a lot more technical than it used to be, even the direction and spacing of the tape is carefully worked out - and then Censored up by the £2-a-day-chimps that actually put it all together Laughing Laughing

Post #20485418th Sep 2007 12:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stapldm

Laughing Thanks Tfc, I was hoping to prevent any noise due to electrics shorting out rather than vibration Laughing

So I take it that these items are not available to us average punters? Could I get away with self-amalgamating tape or is this a bad idea for some reason?
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

Post #20489818th Sep 2007 1:48 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've got plenty of loom tape, closure tape and some cloth tape somewhere, the furry tape i've not seen available for sale though Rolling Eyes
you'll be fne with SA tape- just be careful not to bind the loom too tightly if there are any twisted pairs in it Shocked

Post #20495118th Sep 2007 3:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stapldm

Thanks TFC, appreciate it Thumbs Up I'm not interested in binding tight Shocked , just in providing something to slow down the speed the cables wear through when routed next to sharp stuff Rolling Eyes
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:

Post #20497318th Sep 2007 4:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >