Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

HDC fault caused by P2290..Helppppp
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Teddypei

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
HDC fault caused by P2290..Helppppp

Got the dreaded HDC fault with all the Christmas tree lights. Took it to an independent ( whom I trust implicitly ) . Fault codes give low rail pressure . So far after replacing pressure regulator , high pressure pump ( recon ) , low pressure fuel pump , injectors sent off for testing and all ok , tank removed flushed and cleaned , pressures all ok . All voltages at fuel pump, alternator and battery ok, all ECU connections disconnected , cleaned and reconnected . Car drives for 2 miles and fault appears again.
Any off the wall or experience driven help would be greatly appreciated.

Post #206391925th Jun 2019 12:58 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

What faults appear in exactly which order?
Do you get loss of hill descent control, special programs gone, followed by suspension lowering?
Which fault codes are you getting?
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #206392825th Jun 2019 1:59 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

What diagnostic tool was used? I ask this as some tools can't always see the fault you're looking for. A recent case on here just like yours also had every conceivable part replaced but still the problem persisted.
Voltage checks at the HPFP revealed incorrect/irregular signals!! It was only after finally persuading the use of dedicated LR diagnostics, that the fault was revealed to be collapsed windings in the alternator.

It may not be the same issue for you, but get it checked out with a decent diagnostic tool.

PS I believe it is not possible to recon the HPFP Shocked
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #206393025th Jun 2019 2:00 pm
Teddypei

Narpy wrote:
What faults appear in exactly which order?
Do you get loss of hill descent control, special programs gone, followed by suspension lowering?
Which fault codes are you getting?

Getting exactly as you describe. Main code is P2290 wil get other codes. It initially threw up fault under hard acceleration
Thank you for showing interest

Post #206395625th Jun 2019 3:34 pm
Teddypei

PROFSR G wrote:
What diagnostic tool was used? I ask this as some tools can't always see the fault you're looking for. A recent case on here just like yours also had every conceivable part replaced but still the problem persisted.
Voltage checks at the HPFP revealed incorrect/irregular signals!! It was only after finally persuading the use of dedicated LR diagnostics, that the fault was revealed to be collapsed windings in the alternator.

It may not be the same issue for you, but get it checked out with a decent diagnostic tool.

PS I believe it is not possible to recon the HPFP Shocked

He uses latest Land rover kit and sent readings back to them but we are no further forward. Thanks for alternator suggestion as although output checked, it won't have been under load. Just strange fault occurs after approx same period of time from starting. Thanks for your suggestions and take note re:recon hpfp

Post #206395725th Jun 2019 3:40 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Have you changed the fuel filter for a genuine item?
If not, that might be a good place to start.
Secondly, put out a shout on the forum for somebody close to you with an IID tool to read the codes for you. You really need a second view on this and although you value your Indys capabilities, an IID tool and two minutes of time just might tell you more than you ever thought. Wink
It's also highly likely you're getting other fault codes to accompany the 2290, it's not common to just get one. Thumbs Up
Thirdly, what you're getting is a cascade fault, the symptoms of which are usually the same and exactly as you describe. You might benefit from recalibrating the steering angle sensor. That might sound odd but the symptoms of that are just as you're having. Takes 30 secs with an IID tool and you can eliminate that from the equation.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #206396125th Jun 2019 3:50 pm
PROFSR G

Agree with Narpy Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #206396225th Jun 2019 3:59 pm
Teddypei

Narpy wrote:
Have you changed the fuel filter for a genuine item?
If not, that might be a good place to start.
Secondly, put out a shout on the forum for somebody close to you with an IID tool to read the codes for you. You really need a second view on this and although you value your Indys capabilities, an IID tool and two minutes of time just might tell you more than you ever thought. Wink
It's also highly likely you're getting other fault codes to accompany the 2290, it's not common to just get one. Thumbs Up
Thirdly, what you're getting is a cascade fault, the symptoms of which are usually the same and exactly as you describe. You might benefit from recalibrating the steering angle sensor. That might sound odd but the symptoms of that are just as you're having. Takes 30 secs with an IID tool and you can eliminate that from the equation.

Many thanks, using Autologic system with Autlologic assist, not that assist has shed anymore light on things. Filter was changed for new oem part and pressures checked around it. My thought is the P2290 code is a symptom rather than the problem ie something else is throwing car into limp mode and P2290 code is being caused by ecu shutting down fuel supply... Yep clutching at straws 🤔🤔

Post #206396625th Jun 2019 4:19 pm
PROFSR G

Autologic is a good generic reader but you're going to need something LR dedicated!! GAP IID or similar.
You could also try testing the LPFP values and output. This is a great guide by member Robbie and a good place to start all other things being equal!!
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic130062.html
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #206397825th Jun 2019 4:47 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

May i ask a daft question please

Can a faulty brake light switch or abs / wheel speed sensors cause this kind of issue , alas know diagnostics are key due to the complexity of the vehicles

Or if damp gets into the HDC relay on the CJB fusebox which I think I read is integral

Just thinking what is tied in with the HDC

Thks as always Thumbs Up

Post #206398725th Jun 2019 5:27 pm
bebetto

Romania 

And ... has anything been resolved?

Post #210734319th Dec 2019 6:10 pm
wedgev8

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yeah, I am also waiting for the resolution on this.....

Post #210739119th Dec 2019 9:57 pm
white rover

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
any News on this topic guys ?

Alright firstly Ill admit to being a new Landy owner!

I have the same problem however its intermitted,

same code coming up.

I have been reading through the manual and tying knots between all systems that could possibly control the fuel rail pressure.

Two things I have come across after monitoring every sensor while driving, Multimeter and cheap OBD2 no landrover readers have not picked up. First is the fluctuation I am getting from the ignition voltage. its jumping from 13.88 to 14 and 14.2 volts at random. ( with landrover tool ) .with multimeter at battery I am not getting any fluctuation at all. can anyone explain this ?

but something I found interesting last night was the fuel temperature, I am not getting any codes when the fuel temp is under 110 degrees Celsius.

according to the manual if the fuel goes above 85 Degrees C it starts to send fuel via the fuel cooler. and if the fuel gets to hot it will limit the amount of fuel pressure aloud!

I cannot for the life of me find what that figure would be though ? any Ideas ?

But im thinking it could possibly be related because I only get the code and limp mode when fuel temp is above about 112 degrees Celsius ?

lastly Id really like to know how to test these Alternators ? as I believe its not as easy as a standard multimeter test ? does anyone know of a good thread on here in regards to the Alternators ? id love some insight.

Post #21588255th Jul 2020 2:46 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The D4 has smart charging. The effect is that the voltage will fluctuate depending on charge of the battery, demand on the system, and how the car is driving.

On a fully charged battery the voltage will rise as you lift off the accelerator, and decrease if you press the accelerator. This is to maximise efficiency. It’s to harvest more charge when you slow down, and reduce charge when you need to go faster.

When you replace a battery, your supposed to reset the battery management system.

Post #21588305th Jul 2020 5:42 am
white rover

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
P2290 issue hopefully resolved

Hi Guys,

So I think Ive hit the nail on the head with the P2290 code I keep getting, I believe it is caused from a faulty fuel temperature sensor, In my case anyways. Ill confirm tomorrow when I test it with the multimeter. However this morning before started the car I took a reading on my Scan tool and the fuel temperature sensor had a reading of 76degrees Celsius before even Starting the car !
Outside air temp was 12 Degrees Celsius.. The manual stats the car will start to limit the aloud fuel pressure in the rails when the fuel temp goes above 85 degrees Celsius, in my case that happens in a couple of minutes after starting and after about half an hour im seeing 100 Plus degrees celsius.

I am wondering if Anyone knows the part number for this ? my car is a 2010 disco 4 with 2.7 v6 Diesel.

I called up Landrover and they only sell as a complete unit with plumbing and release valve, Retailing for $450 AUD. All I need is the Sensor.

Ill post again when i test with a multimeter and after hunting down and fitting a new sensor !

Post #21596068th Jul 2020 7:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >