Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

HDC Fault, special progs not available etc
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
evoochez

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
HDC Fault, special progs not available etc

A week ago my 2006 D3 started showing HDC Fault and suspension lowered to access height. On restarting engine, suspension raises but as soon as brake pedal is touched, fault reactivates. Dealer has checked all wiring to abs sensors, modulator etc but to no avail. Now wants to change brake servo and master cylinder (just out of warranty - gulp!). Any thoughts on this problem welcome before I commit to spending a small fortune.

Post #4511928th Apr 2009 6:10 pm
lad

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Not got an idea about the fault, but is the dealer sure about the brake servo and cylinder? Sounds like they are stabbing in the dark and hoping to get lucky. Ask them if they are willing to contribute to the costs, Good will gesture!!
Its worth asking, as we had a fiesta, and the turbo blew 3 weeks out of warranty and they contibuted 60% of costs and we also had a audi A8 and the gearbox went 5 months out of warranty and 20K over warranty milage (60K) and they contributed 90% to the cost. IF YOU DON'T ASK, YOU DON'T GET!

Post #4512608th Apr 2009 8:49 pm
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had a similar problem with the usual full dash of lights plus suspension lowering etc. A stop and restart usually fixed it.

I had it checked by the dealer and it turned out to be the brake light switch - replaced under warrenty. No recurrance (touch wood) in about four months.
 I see no ships........  
Post #4513338th Apr 2009 10:11 pm
ELD70

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Not a dodgy brake light bulb by any chance, heard a few stories on here of filaments touching causing huge problems.

Post #4513378th Apr 2009 10:13 pm
evoochez

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks for the advice guys.
I fully agree that dealer hasn't a clue what fault is. Dealer has replaced brake switch - no effect. Told dealer that one of the brake lights failed about a month ago and I replaced it with one I had lying around the garage (being unaware of potential implications) - dealer said that he had checked the lights also. Have also taken up the point about goodwill - LRCC say that dealer is fully aware of LR rules regarding goodwill payments (but won't tell me what they are). Dealer says that I have to authorise (ie agree to pay) for labour cost for parts to be swapped from a donor car at full dealer charge out rates until they find the problem and that LR won't pick up the tab for the investigative work. Have told them that I am not prepared to give them a blank cheque and will take it up with LRCC (who are now on holiday for the easter break). Will post the outcome! Happy days.

Post #4518409th Apr 2009 7:13 pm
jjvd21

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

My HDC warnings, nav screen flickering, and suspension faults were caused by a low battery. Dealer replaced the battery and all above symptoms immediately ceased. You have an '06, mine is an '05. Maybe your battery is on its way out? I never had brake issues but you never know it could be low battery related.
 16 D4 Landmark
05 D3 HSE V8
THE original D4 spotter 

Post #4519319th Apr 2009 10:06 pm
joness7

United Kingdom 

Unnecessary quote removed

I had similar problems in my '06. Changed the battery myself and has sorted all problems.
 2018 1.5Ti Skoda Octavia - dull as f&ck
2019 D5 SdV6 SE Anniversary - black/black - good riddance!!
2010 D4 TDV6 HSE - Nara Bronze with black - now gone!!
2006 D3 TDV6 HSE - Buckingham Blue with Alpaca - now gone!!
BMW R1200GS - also blue, also gone!!
Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin DCT - Dakar colours
Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 - the Black Arrow 

Post #45246510th Apr 2009 10:06 pm
catweasel

Re: HDC Fault, special progs not available etc

evoochez wrote:
Now wants to change brake servo and master cylinder
no expert but I dont see how changing a physical item will correct what appears to be a software/electronic issue Question  
Post #45257811th Apr 2009 6:26 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: HDC Fault, special progs not available etc

catweasel wrote:
evoochez wrote:
Now wants to change brake servo and master cylinder
no expert but I dont see how changing a physical item will correct what appears to be a software/electronic issue Question

Agreed. Dealer is talking Censored
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #45258411th Apr 2009 8:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jjvd21

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

I had read on the site that HDC warnings were attributed to a low battery. I told my dealer upon drop off that I believed my symptoms were from a drained battery. They checked the battery and claimed it was within tolerance. They had my D3 for 3 days and could not solve the HDC warnings, sat nav flickering and suspension warnings. They called and said they found the cause - bad sensor. I picked it up, pulled out of the dealership and the whole dash lit up like christmas as soon as I touched the brake pedal. All warnings stayed on had to limp right back to the dealership. I convinced them to change the battery. Since then I haven't had one warning or issue. Understand that it appears to be a physical problem, mine did and my dealer thought it was wiring. But it really was just a low battery causing the computer system to emit faults and warnings (and that last one happened when I hit the brakes). I would ask them to try a new battery to see if it makes a difference. Hope you sort it.
 16 D4 Landmark
05 D3 HSE V8
THE original D4 spotter 

Post #45267511th Apr 2009 2:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >