Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Members Helping Members

Headline - Stay 20 metres apart when exercising
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Headline - Stay 20 metres apart when exercising

From The Telegraph 9th April:-

No apologies for quoting this in full - note I am aware that this has not yet been peer reviewed but if it saves lives....

Quote:
A new study says those exercising outside during the Covid-19 pandemic should increase the distance between themselves and others, the report saying the measures in place in the UK are potentially unsafe.

Government guidance says those exercising outdoors must keep a distance of at least two metres between themselves and others, however the white paper published by Prof Bert Blocken from Eindhoven University of Technology in Holland and KU Leuven in Belgium, says these measures are "ineffective" for those walking, running or cycling.

Prof Blocken who has extensively studied the aerodynamic benefits of slip-streaming in cycling – when a cyclist rides behind a team-mate or rival to save energy and gain an advantage – has found that during the coronavirus crisis there are no benefits from what is commonly referred to as 'drafting' in sport.

Following his research, which took place in still conditions, Prof Blocken says walkers should stay between four and five metres apart, while runners and cyclists need to keep a distance of 10m, increasing to 20m while running or cycling fast.

“If someone exhales, coughs or sneezes while walking, running or cycling, most of the micro-droplets are entrained in the wake or slipstream behind the runner or cyclist," says Prof Blocken. "The other person who runs or cycles just behind this leading person in the slipstream then moves through that cloud of droplets.”

In all cases, whether walking, running or cycling, the research shows it is safer while side-by-side, though emphasises you must think ahead before passing others.

"If you want to overtake someone, it is also recommended to start 'pre‐sorting' into a staggered arrangement from a fairly long distance – twenty metres with bicycles, for example, so that you can overtake carefully and at a proper distance by moving in a straight line."

Though yet to be peer reviewed, Prof Blocken says it was important that his findings were made available immediately. "Given the situation, we decided it would be unethical to keep the results confidential and keep the public waiting months," he said.

Prof Blocken summarised his findings by saying people should "Keep exercising, but stay outside slipstreams".

This graphic is worth viewing:-

https://twitter.com/i/status/1247540730425249799

This could be thought to be somewhat alarmist, in that one has inhale the virus (from an asymptotic individual, otherwise presumably they would not feel well enough to be out). Nevertheless I'm going to keep this in mind when I risk-assess.

Keep well my friends. Thumbs Up

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #213699811th Apr 2020 10:12 am
Discoveringcomfort

England 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

One of my wifes friends and her husband were isolating at home and had no outside contact. The wife went to the supermarket, all the shoppers kept to the 2m rule. The guy behind the wife was coughing quite heavily.

The husband is in an induced coma and ventilated, the wife was the same but died.

This stuff is no joke!!
 Series 1 V8
Series 2 Hibrid V8
Discovery 3 HSE V8 

Post #213718311th Apr 2020 6:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >