Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

heated seats? more like cooker.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Dickydisco

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
heated seats? more like cooker.

My heated seat has started to burn when put on. The smell is real bad and it will actually burn me when sitting on it, under my left thigh.
Is there anyone on here who repairs them? I want it sorting as swmbo will give me a hard time. very nesh you see and uses it in the height of summer Laughing

cheers guys
 Current: D3 commercial

Past: but not forgotten D3 HSE x2, 5 TD5 disco2's, 1 200tdi disco1, 2 300tdi disco1 one of which was a commercial, Off roader with a rather large spec, ARB's and big travel suspension to name a few.
Pajero SWB 2.8 for off road playdays
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYBx3SCl8vs check this for laughs 

Post #63554413th Apr 2010 9:05 pm
Spooky

United Kingdom 

Definitely sounds as though the element has partially shorted out (it could even be the seat back element that has shorted, as they are wired in series). Easiest solution is to change the seat(s), although it should be possible to replace the failed element.

I would seriously consider unplugging the connectors under the seats until you can get this fixed - this has the potential to cause a FIRE, especially with your wife's tendency to use the heater year round! Shocked
 Regards,
Mick

- 2014 SDV8 Autobiography
- 'Vincent' - 2010 TdV8 Vogue SE
- 'Molly' - 2005 HSE Auto
'Dixie'
- 2000 D2 Td5 ES

Post #63557113th Apr 2010 9:45 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

It's easy enough to change the elements with a little time and patience should take more the 1.5-2hrs.

Recommend you buy yourself a hog clip pliers for around £14 off ebay, makes the job of getting the trim back on alot easier - replacement elements are around £70 for back and seat, from memory that is, check with TLO for up to date prices.

I too agree - unplug the connectors under the seat until fixed.

Last edited by MrH on 13th Apr 2010 9:54 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #63557613th Apr 2010 9:52 pm
Dickydisco

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

spooky, think thats a good idea. I have warned her of the hazard if it gets switched on. Can the seat element be replaced, i know you say get a seat but would it be cheaper to get the elemnts?

I guessed that the elements have shorted some how. could there maybe a chance to see them to maybe seperate them in the chance the wires are touching each other? if that makes any sense Confused

Past: but not forgotten D3 HSE x2, 5 TD5 disco2's, 1 200tdi disco1, 2 300tdi disco1 one of which was a commercial, Off roader with a rather large spec, ARB's and big travel suspension to name a few.

Post #63557713th Apr 2010 9:53 pm
Dickydisco

MrH will get a look out for some pliers and pm TLO for price. do you think any member will do it? i.e wiggs or any other electrical boff.

by the way. like the car, the pics of you off road are very nice Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #63557913th Apr 2010 9:59 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

10forCash (Site Sponsor) will do this kinda work as I'm sure will others on the forum - if you were closer to me I could do it for you

Post #63596014th Apr 2010 8:00 pm
Dickydisco

I have TFC coming to do some work with the car on the 24th so I may ask him if he can add that to the list. Thanks for the offer though. very good of you.

Post #63600614th Apr 2010 9:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >