Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Heavy juddering gear/transmition
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
anders59

Norway 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4
Heavy juddering gear/transmition

Hi there. I hope someone can help me and give a clue to what happened to my 2011 Discovery 4 S 3.0 (211 hp) last week. It was cold (minus 10 C), and every time the problem came after the car got warm (aprox. 20 minutes). The car started juddering /jumping very heavily every second as if it constantly tried to shift between forward and backwards, or possibly high and low, making it impossible to continue driving normally. The juddering disappeared during fast acceleration or when put in neutral. I managed then to drive til I could pull over, by alternating between fast accelerating and putting in N. Automatic (D) or manual (M+S) made no difference. When stopping and switching of the engine it would go away for a time but would start again every time I lifted the accelerator abrupt letting the engine braking / retarding the vehicle. No consistency in fault messages, but both suspension faults and gearbox fault have been reported. On the last trip I made it to the LandRover garage, who made a thorough check/search but they could not find anything wrong. Prior to reaching the garage, and last time I stopped the car to restart I could not start again immediate as the car went in to some kind of system reset modus, and since then the problem hasn't reappeared. Since the LR garage couldn't find anything I am very scared of going on any lengthy trip until the fault has been found. Anybody having any ideas to what it could be? It would be very much appreciated.

Post #220122011th Jan 2021 9:46 pm
BadgerWazzala

United Kingdom 

I'd start by performing a transmission fluid change. Straight forward to do if you have the tools/toys at home. My own car would 'thud' up/down when changing gears and often hesitant to change. I've replaced the ZF lifeguard fluid and it's a smooth as butter now.

Post #220387520th Jan 2021 3:08 pm
disco4ever

Germany 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Re: Heavy juddering gear/transmition

anders59 wrote:
Hi there. I hope someone can help me and give a clue to what happened to my 2011 Discovery 4 S 3.0 (211 hp) last week. It was cold (minus 10 C), and every time the problem came after the car got warm (aprox. 20 minutes). The car started juddering /jumping very heavily every second as if it constantly tried to shift between forward and backwards, or possibly high and low, making it impossible to continue driving normally. The juddering disappeared during fast acceleration or when put in neutral. I managed then to drive til I could pull over, by alternating between fast accelerating and putting in N. Automatic (D) or manual (M+S) made no difference. When stopping and switching of the engine it would go away for a time but would start again every time I lifted the accelerator abrupt letting the engine braking / retarding the vehicle. No consistency in fault messages, but both suspension faults and gearbox fault have been reported. On the last trip I made it to the LandRover garage, who made a thorough check/search but they could not find anything wrong. Prior to reaching the garage, and last time I stopped the car to restart I could not start again immediate as the car went in to some kind of system reset modus, and since then the problem hasn't reappeared. Since the LR garage couldn't find anything I am very scared of going on any lengthy trip until the fault has been found. Anybody having any ideas to what it could be? It would be very much appreciated.

It will help knowing a bit more.....

autobox is 6Hp26 I assume?
mileage of the car
service history of the autobox / mechatronic

from what I read I assume it is a mileage problem. 6 gear autobox in the early D4 and older D3 tend to give up beyond 180 - 200.000 km. the torque converter needs refurbishing and the mechatronic might need the valves cleaned.

A fluid change will cure the problem for may be 20.000 km, but the root cause lies way deeper.
 Achim

own garage certified LR tech

Disco 2 TD5 MY 2001 - gone but still driven by another owner
Defender 110 TD5 driving me bananas with all faults
Disco 3 TDV 6 HSE MY 2005 gone @280.000 km
Disco 4 SDV 6 HSE MY 2012 

Post #220389920th Jan 2021 5:34 pm
anders59

Norway 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Hi again, and thanks a lot for reply and good suggestions.
Yes it is a 6 speed automatic. The car has only done 75' km but most of it pulling a heavy trailer (up to 3,5t). The transmission have never had any maintenance as far as I know, and the LR garage claims it is a maintenance free automatic gearbox. The most strange about the push&pull (on&off) juddering was that it was very regular, like changing every second continuously and continuing until during fast acceleration (kick down) or until I stopped and restarted the car. I assume a fluid change / flushing won't do any harm to it so will probably start with trying that, and hope for the best. Is refurbishing torque converter and mechatronic a very big and expensive job or something worth doing preventiv?

Post #220391220th Jan 2021 7:36 pm
disco4ever

Germany 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I guess changing the fluid cannot harm. The towing takes a toll on the gearbox. Changing the fluid is not difficult. Search for "filo" on here. He explains his DIY method.

Then test again. Next step would be to check if the judder has disappeared. If not, Dr. Tranny additive might cure your problem for a short period of time.

But refurbishing the autobox will be on the horizon. Somewhere around 2.000€.
 Achim

own garage certified LR tech

Disco 2 TD5 MY 2001 - gone but still driven by another owner
Defender 110 TD5 driving me bananas with all faults
Disco 3 TDV 6 HSE MY 2005 gone @280.000 km
Disco 4 SDV 6 HSE MY 2012 

Post #220391820th Jan 2021 7:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >