Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

How the hell did this happen?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Any commercial premises will have their compressor checked annually and the insurance guy will want to look inside the reservior, so at the very least it will be drained annually!

We used to have a big v twin compressor and the steel air lines ran under the workshop floor, there was always water in them in fact there was water everywhere, new plastic pipes around the walls and the water problem stopped.

No workshop wants water in their air lines as its wrecks the air guns pdq.

Of course a flexible air line could have been left outside over night in the rain, or chucked into their water tank for testing tyres for leaks in workshops weird things can happen almost daily.

Post #200766810th Dec 2018 7:24 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I want to agree with both of your thoughts but the evidence says not... the tyre has been on over a year..the other tyre that I changed this week was bone dry inside...as is my compressor which has been used to periodically to check the pressures..

This has only occurred since we have had this horrible wet weather in the last couple of weeks and were faultless before then...

To add to the conspiracy theory this wheel was fitted on the offside rear roadwheel initially when it started developing the problem...

The only theory I am now coming up with is a flint puncture... where we live the soil is flinty and I am continuously digging out small flint pebbles from the treads...

What if....as she is driving through puddles ( which there have been loads around us) the hydraulic pressure as the tyre hits the puddle forces the water up the tread and through a flint puncture...but due to the air pressure in the tyre the rubber inside is operating like a valve and is kept pushed shut until the next puddle when the water is forced in.....

Far fetched I know but really struggling here.... I kept the tyre so I will have a proper look at it!

Post #200766910th Dec 2018 7:25 am
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Quote:
What if....as she is driving through puddles

The air pressure in the tyre would prevent that

Post #200769910th Dec 2018 10:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sasdiscos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

You can under some circumstances create a Venturi affect. This may draw in water. But you would be loosing pressure as well.

Steve
 You remind me of a younger me, not much younger mind...perhaps even a little older!  
Post #200787510th Dec 2018 7:08 pm
Bazza.

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

Farmer Chalk wrote:
I want to agree with both of your thoughts but the evidence says not... the tyre has been on over a year..the other tyre that I changed this week was bone dry inside...as is my compressor which has been used to periodically to check the pressures..

This has only occurred since we have had this horrible wet weather in the last couple of weeks and were faultless before then...

To add to the conspiracy theory this wheel was fitted on the offside rear roadwheel initially when it started developing the problem...

The only theory I am now coming up with is a flint puncture... where we live the soil is flinty and I am continuously digging out small flint pebbles from the treads...

What if....as she is driving through puddles ( which there have been loads around us) the hydraulic pressure as the tyre hits the puddle forces the water up the tread and through a flint puncture...but due to the air pressure in the tyre the rubber inside is operating like a valve and is kept pushed shut until the next puddle when the water is forced in.....

Far fetched I know but really struggling here.... I kept the tyre so I will have a proper look at it!

The only time I've seen this before is after a car was lost into a ditch and the tyre came off the rim which was re inflated without checking. but inside was a mess when it was checked.

It's not possible to add water to the inside of an inflated tyre without changing the pressure.

I think your'l be guessing forever on this one. Confused
 Disco 4 2012  
Post #200794211th Dec 2018 12:03 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Stop whining and look on the bright side ...put your smalls in there with a Surf tablet .....free washing Thumbs Up

Post #200794511th Dec 2018 12:23 am
WW88

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I’ve had this before, it turned out to be where wheels had been refurbished and they’d just pulled the tyres back and painted them and cleaned them and obviously not got the water out.

Post #200816611th Dec 2018 6:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >