Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

HELP !!! You cant park G4s on hills (apparently !)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
itsalandiething

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
HELP !!! You cant park G4s on hills (apparently !)

Bow down Help ! Genghis has decided he doesnt want to move off my drive .... the park brake is sticking on, and the only way to get him moving is to hit the gas pedal. Not ideal to come shooting off my short steep drive into the road at speed, infact its terrifying for both me and the neighbours. I have noted the posts on parking brake issues, but the dealership say its a G4 issue due to the weight of the vehicle the brake is tightening to hold it on the drive.....humm a bit of a bummer as I live up a hill !!! so if I horizontal park anywhere on a hill I could be there a very long time unless I wipe out the surrounding mondeos .... and wouldnt that make me an MOT failure if the park brake cant hold the car ???
Any suggestions would be a great help Very Happy Jo

Post #45900126th Apr 2009 12:08 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Dealer is talking absolute Censored !!

The EPB should release immediately on pressing the accelerator. A little jump is normal, but certainly not enough to worry the pedestrains at the end of your drive.

If you put the car into Drive, press and hold the footbrake, press the PB switch down to manually release the parking brake, then let go the footbrake, does the car roll normally or is the brake still on? it should roll freely.

I suggest the epb needs a strip and adjustment, which is common if a car has been used off-road.

Post #45900826th Apr 2009 12:43 pm
itsalandiething

Genghis will move if I hit the gas but I cannot do this safetly on a slope , I need to have my foot on the brake when release the PB, however I can release the PB take foot off the foot brake and we just sit there....... I did suspect the dealership were talking Censored as they have talked alot of Censored since I got genghis !!! I did sugest they strip down the PB 'cos of Genghis' muddy past, but the 'technical guy' insisted it was because G4s are heavier than usual D3s ???? Big Cry Jo

Post #45901626th Apr 2009 1:02 pm
Pelyma

England 

Have you tried putting the car into neutral (holding it on the foot brake), apply the epb take your foot off the brake then put in park. My parents' drive is steep and it makes it a smoother start when leaving rather than a big lurch when you just put it into park.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #45901726th Apr 2009 1:11 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Dealer is talking out of his ar$e! It's just a Hse with a colour you can't loose in the car park and a few accessories! Many folks here run them much heavier day to day. If it's not suitable to park on a hill they need to sort it or refund you as it is not fit for purpose! I assume when you bought it they didn't say you can only park on the flat.

Post #45902326th Apr 2009 1:56 pm
itsalandiething

Phew ....

I have actually raised all these points with the dealership, but sometimes its difficult to get these places to take you seriously, unfortunately there is still an air of 'you stupid woman' and you dont get taken seriously, or the usual is they try and fob you off thinking you wont know any better. I agree the G4 is heavier than my previous D3s , it handles completely differently, the roof rack has altered its centre of gravity and of course the tyres make a difference. But what happens to the PB on a fully loaded and towing standard D3 (surely me and the roof rack arent that heavy !!!) and like you say- its the same Censored motor . Its nice to know I have your technical no how and muscle backing me up ..... some times I just feel like throwing my self in the mud run .... Jo

Post #45902926th Apr 2009 2:52 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Might be worth getting suggestions for a dealer that knows what they are doing. I don't know anything about dealers inyour part of the world but there are lots of members in that middle bit of the country. There is also one of our technical gurus near you, 10forcash, who does servicing etc but your 1st port of call would be get it sorted through a LR dealer under warranty. You can name and shame the dealer that thinks you can't park a G4 D3 on a hill!

Mrs DSL says "That's rubbish" when I read that the dealer says the EPB not being suitable for parking on a holland and she's as technological as our Golden Retreiver! Snigger

Post #45903426th Apr 2009 3:27 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

You could call LRA and ask them to look at it, as you could argue it's dangerous to use if you have to accelerate so hard to get the brake to release.

Post #45903626th Apr 2009 3:36 pm
itsalandiething

This dealership had always been fab, they had always gone the extra mile, When I bought Genghis things went seriously down hill. They are going to strip down and clean the PB but still insist its the PB jamming on cos of the extra weight on the slope (blah blah blah) and I only have their word that they will actually check it out !!!
some times 'perhaps him in doors' is correct after all the fiat 500 is rather cute (and it also comes in orange) and I would be able to get under the super market barrier ....... Jo
 Genghis G4 HSE
Buttercup Defender 90 TD5
Pinklandies.com
BORG 

Post #45904226th Apr 2009 3:51 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

What extra weight are they talking about, the car has 7 seats and a boot. If the car has 7 passengers and some luggage it would be a lot heavier than a few G4 extra's.

Post #45904326th Apr 2009 3:54 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

How did your previous D3 cope with slope?? Should be no different with the G4 as extra weight is well within weight limit. If your last D3 could do it........

Post #45904626th Apr 2009 3:59 pm
itsalandiething

I have had 2 D3s a TD5 a 300 and a defender all happily rest on the drive the only vehicle that ever moved was my feelander 2 ( yup embarrassed to say I did have one ...) but that was a manual PB and I suspect driver error,( and it did take a whole day to travel a couple of metres...... ) Jo
 Genghis G4 HSE
Buttercup Defender 90 TD5
Pinklandies.com
BORG 

Post #45905726th Apr 2009 4:21 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

Evans Halshaw or Stratstone?

Post #45906126th Apr 2009 4:33 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I never use my EPB I just put it in Park. But then till now I never parked it on a steep Hill.
I find if a wheel is parked in a gutter you need some throttle to get out and when out it goes a little quick on a Hotel car park so I know the feeling you have as you need some throttle to release the EPB.
Why don't you manual release the EPB?

I will try using my EPB on a hill and see how it takes off downhill, It could take a while before testing that before I find a suitable hill. Whistle
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #45906426th Apr 2009 4:41 pm
SN

Dealer is talking sh*t - I have a similar short steep drive and it is the only place I use the EPB

My last D3 had pretty much EVERYTHING on it (except plastic RAI) so would have weighed about the same as a G4 and I had NO problem with my EPB releasing OK - you just needed to prod the loud pedal for a sort time to cause the EPB to release and then gentle pressure to pull away
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #45925926th Apr 2009 11:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >