Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Help - EPB not Holding, off on hols
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Andrew, I reckon a tiny smear of anti seize compound (copper grease) between your shoes and the contact points on the back plate would sort out the squeak Thumbs Up
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #3986588th Jan 2009 3:12 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

My thoughts too RM Thumbs Up

The reverse EPB application will move them slightly back, but it may well come back in the future.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #3986638th Jan 2009 3:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ELD70

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have the "Bill and Ben" wheelbarrow squeak now and again at slow speed after auto release. Just been on the phone to dealer tech and after a long chat have decided to release manually from now on to give the shoes a clean lift and avoid any drag. Other choice was a £195 strip and clean Big Cry
He told me to use as a normal handbrake and avoid auto release, it does not squeak anymore now.
Does this make sense to you EPB gurus?

Post #3987498th Jan 2009 5:38 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yup, but i'd be a bit miffed at not using it the way that it's designed.

You should be able to get any local decent garage to clean out & adjust the EPB as well as grease it up if you give them the ZIP file that's in my gallery. I'm sure it will be a lot cheaper than the LR cost Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #3987508th Jan 2009 5:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks all - might wait for warmer weather and slip some copper grease on the resting points.
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #3987608th Jan 2009 5:58 pm
ELD70

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have been thinking about my squeaking EPB on auto release today, the car is nearly two and half years old and maybe the EPB has never been stripped,cleaned and adjusted since new.
Is it worth the expense now (warrantied till Nov 09) to have it done then any more problems from now on I can at least prove I had it set up correctly?
If it jams up one day SWMBO will not be amused Censored
Any thoughts on my dilema guys?

Post #3997539th Jan 2009 10:29 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

@Bodsy - Sorry, been away and missed your comments. Nope, I mean I Start the bedding in cycle but don't complete the 10 stops; I only do one or two stops and then cancel the procedure. I've not been concerned with it remembering or resetting anything, more with the procedure scraping the dried mud (or whatever is really happening) from inside the drum so that the shoes can contact metal again and the car actually halts. So far this has proved very effective, and can give me many subsequent months of silent, trouble free operation without having to repeat.

When I say it is lopsided, it's when I stop the car with the foot brake (straight, no issues) and then put on the EPB, and release the foot brake. With the Auto still in Drive and hence torquing the transmission, the car lurches sideways like only one of the rear drums is holding. It then re-tensions and halts.

I only get this EPB behaviour a few days after fast driving through the slightly muddy water on the road I mention (not more than a couple of inches deep), and even then it's no guarantee that getting it wet will cause the problem. Being Swindon, it's wet a lot Wink but I have only had to do the bedding in two or three times in the last year.

Strangely heaving through muddy water at various other locations has never caused the issue; perhaps the mud on my particular road has some weird properties.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #39983010th Jan 2009 12:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >