DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Help fitting my new Mudflaps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
K2mut

United Kingdom 
Help fitting my new Mudflaps

Hi Guys,
just bought some mudflaps from TLO the instructions for the rear are shocking Confused Confused Confused ,can anyone give me a few tips or better still some pics on what is involved.

Cheerzen

Ian

k2mut

Post #58220215th Jan 2010 6:18 pm
al cope

England 

front or rear

in fact, its fairly obvious once you get the flaps next to the car. The one thats a bit odd is the extra bracket for the rear ones. Its also easier to put the screws in and out with the wheel off, although it can be done with the wheel in please.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #58221215th Jan 2010 6:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K2mut

United Kingdom 

Its the bracket bit that is baffling me!! Confused Confused

Post #58225215th Jan 2010 7:12 pm
al cope

England 

it should have two blue square things for each side, into which two screws go. One of the blue things pushes into the square hole in the bracket, and up under the wheel arch you'll find a similar square hole into which the other blue thing goes (same on both sides), and you use one of the screws to attach the bracket to the blue thing you've stuck through the hole under the arch, and the the other screw goes through the flap into the bluesquare thing at the other end of the bracket

I'm sure this isnt making sense. recipe for a sponge cake anyone?

If you were closer I'd say bring it round

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #58234315th Jan 2010 8:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
andymck

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

This confused me as well.. But when I fitted them without the brackets my mudflaps worked loose wile driving through the snow. I have worked it out now, though it is a bit fiddly; off road height and using a small posi bit jammed in my smallest socket set wrench made it possible for me..

Happy to help or explain more if needed. I am in Weston Super Mare if you are passing I can give you a hand.

Thanks

Andy

Post #58268716th Jan 2010 1:39 pm
oddboy

United Kingdom 

i still havnt fitted mine due to this same problem + the fact its blummin cold out
 Richard
club none owner 

Post #58274416th Jan 2010 3:14 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Look under car behind wheel arch up next to exhaust silencer, you will see a small square hole in the bodywork into which one of the blue clips fit, push one in and home securley. Fir another into the small "L" shaped bracket again there should be a square hole in one end. Now attach the mudflap to the car, it can just be done with suspension in off road hight and either a small right angled screw driver or a 1/4 ratchet with a screw driver bit in a socket. You will see that there are three holes in the mud flap from memory, tow inside the whell arch and one that goes up vertically from underneath, you will need to remove two sequring screwsfrom the wheel arch mud shield, attach the mudflap using the top hole to the inside of the the wheel arch and the vertical one up under the bottom of the mud flap, you will then be left with one hole in the mud flap that is visible from inside the wheel arch. From memory I think there was no hole in the mudshield under the wheel arch to match with the one in the mudflap, drive one of the supplied screws through the mudflap and the mud shield, this screw that has been driven through the mud shield will then be seen looking up under the car at the back of the wheel arch next to the exhaust silencer, this drives into the blue clip in the right angled bracket which in turn lays horizontaly and the other hole in the bracket should line up with the other blue clip you have previuosly fitted in the body work by the exhaust.

Hope this helps as I am doing it all from memory as the car is outside in the car park at work and it is p***ing down. Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #58274916th Jan 2010 3:33 pm
K2mut

United Kingdom 

The Mudflaps are now fitted Very Happy Very Happy
Yeah it was fiddly trying to get the bracket fitted ,but I got there in the end.
You just gotta lie on your back with her on top!! Wink Wink
If anyone needs help,I will try to explain!!!!

Cheers everyone.

Ian

K2mut

Post #58280516th Jan 2010 5:50 pm
n1cktdv6

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Help fitting my new Mudflaps

Wait til it gets a bit muddy and wet....then you will see just how 'good' they are as 'mud' flaps Rolling with laughter
 D4 HSE....Probably, but not quite decided yet.
3.6 TDV8 Vogue
XC90 SE Lux
A8 Quattro TDi
D3 SE 

Post #58284716th Jan 2010 6:52 pm
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

And don't become disheartened when they split and crack - that's normal Thumbs Up
 Clubs Mantec, Tasmods, LEDS, AT2s on 18s, Maxxis Bighorns on 17s, Remote FBH, BAS. ReMap, BSS., RLD Personalised SWP., Safari Snorkel, Faultmate, Three Musketeers & MUD

Post #58287016th Jan 2010 7:11 pm
Nigel McBurney

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi just fitted rear flaps today on my D4,read the posts before I started as the instructions supplied are pathetic,two of the screws are relatively easy to fit with quarter drive ratchet and posidrive bit,its the third screw thats the problem,screwed the bracket to the bodywork but could not get screw in thro the flap to line up with the plastic block in the bracket,the brackets are handed and stamped left and right as there is a slight offset in the bracket holes. Had a think then tackled it another way removed screw from bracket ,then used the left hand bracket on the rhs ,then screwed the bracket first to the flap and then secured the bracket to the bodywork using a 6mm nut and bolt and a washer,lot easier than struggling with posidrives,first mud flap took 2 hours the second took 15 minutes.I am now a bit slow as I am getting too old to struggle under cars ,now for the front ones,oh cant do that the dealer only had back ones in stock. Any one know the reason for the fibre glass matt behind the wing mud shields,because they did not help when assembling the flaps. Now having been in engineering all my life I just wondered why the brackets fitted better when swapped over,the L and R stamps in the form tools may have got swapped over during tool maintenance ,or it could just be a tolerance build up. the last post mentioned splitting and cracking, I assume they are the same as the D3 ,well I had a D3 for 3 years and had no problems with flaps which were fitted when I bought it,but it never went seriously off road ,just pulling trailers and the occasional muddy show site,I ve got a classic trials bike for the rough stuff.

Post #61195128th Feb 2010 7:02 pm
buellbeast

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I split my flaps the first time i went off-road Whistle

Post #61195328th Feb 2010 7:04 pm
POINTYED

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

hi
i'm on my third set of flaps Rolling Eyes and just knackered them too Big Cry
think its time to go down the cut down defender flap route
dunc Thumbs Up
 life is tooooo short.enjoy the moment.dont worry be happy

club BSS 

Post #61196028th Feb 2010 7:11 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ditch the originals and make your self some flexible ones

G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #61200028th Feb 2010 8:24 pm
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Adrian, was it you or someone else who previously made available a set of templates for home made flaps using original flap fixings?
 Clubs Mantec, Tasmods, LEDS, AT2s on 18s, Maxxis Bighorns on 17s, Remote FBH, BAS. ReMap, BSS., RLD Personalised SWP., Safari Snorkel, Faultmate, Three Musketeers & MUD

Post #61204628th Feb 2010 9:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >