Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

Help needed I am being ROBBED.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
neo

England 

FWIW/IMHO;

I would be included to write to both LR Ireland and LR UK about this, naming and shaming (up to you if you wish to copy the dealer in). Your solicitor might be able to best advise.

If the TSB exists then they are obliged to address the issue.

I guess it depends on how much you are going to rely on that particular dealership.
 The M-Power Express

=~ prorsus per angustias ~= 

Post #17093526th Jun 2007 6:15 pm
yawlboy

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

I am definitely going to follow up with LR on this.

I have to agree with Zebadee on the dealer though. I got €2000 more trade in from them then from any of the four other dealers I contacted. However the service department is another story they have done some stupid things like the 06 D3 I picked up in Jan last year had not been PDI'd by them so the sunroof and other bits didn't work. The Engine blew on that after two months - I traded that for a FFRR that has not had a problem in 40000kms. Mind you I did get that serviced at the other Cork dealer.

I guess I'll just have to service my D3 elsewhere from now on.
 1993 Defender 110 300tdi - many mods  
Post #17095126th Jun 2007 7:22 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I hope LR Ireland (and UK for that matter), see sense, and sort this for you yawlboy. I have to say I'm bl**dy glad mine is an auto. You say the engine blew in a previous D3, I'm intrigued to know what broke, any idea? Did they tell you what happened to it ? Shocked

Post #17098426th Jun 2007 9:33 pm
yawlboy

sorry should have said Turbo blew - it took them about 4 months to get the parts. I know because they rang me 4 months later saying they wanted the keys for the roof rack - which I had left in the car 4 months previously.
Post #17100426th Jun 2007 10:54 pm
yawlboy

Got my car back yesterday evening. They had even washed it - a first!!!

Was told that they had only received a verbal approval from LR Ireland and that it still could get nasty for them. Rolling Eyes

To be honest I was just glad to get the car back and not having to have paid for it. I am going to document this incident and send all details to LR Ireland but from what I've been hearing they won't want to know. Evil or Very Mad

Thanks to everyone on here Thumbs Up Thumbs Up for all the very useful assistance I really believe they wouldn't have caved in without the TSB.

Thanks again
Patrick
Post #17250330th Jun 2007 9:32 am
zebadee

Ireland 

Good to hear you have your D3 back again yawlboy Thumbs Up

yawlboy wrote:
.............................I am going to document this incident and send all details to LR Ireland but from what I've been hearing they won't want to know. Evil or Very Mad ............................

I’d say you’d just as well off now, if you went outside & banged your head off the nearest wall for a few minutes, for all the good it would do you Rolling Eyes

Post #17262830th Jun 2007 8:13 pm
PaulnhisGirls

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
CUTCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HI all

Read with interest your lots chat about clutch problems because I did a little towing a few months back
and had a delightful aroma emanating from under the car, Having read the TSB that was posted on here
My car is a manual and falls between the designated Vin numbers.

I asked my dealership about the problem as whilst the clutch hasn't failed I was concerned about my up
coming trip to Morocco and the prospect of having my ass towed back by the local equivalent of the RAC,
they offered to check it out, (now comes the But!!) BUT if it's driver misused it'll cost you close to a grand
for a new clutch. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the clutch maybe a little play on the pedal but it functions admirably, it's only covered 32K mainly motorway driving, I just have a nagging concern that the
Sahara is a long way away and if my memory serves me correctly "IT'S BLODDY HOT"

I've had lots of phone calls to LRCC and I finally chatted to a bod called Chris who told me in a calm Scottish
accent that [b]"the TSB related to normal driving conditions not towing, I should have notice the aroma when
parking the car if it was a problem."[/b]

Here's my worry, If and when they check it out for me once it's round the back of the dealers it's a judgment
call on there behalf! no one can tell me which plates where problematic ie serial numbers they just say that the
mechanic will know????? so I would wager a months salary and a months use of my office swivel chair that
in there opinion it'll be my fault!!!!!!!!!!!!! how does one tell the difference between damage caused by crappy
material and My apparent Clutch slipping dragster starts???? I have asked the question of several mechanics
and they say it's near on impossible to call.

Any suggestions????? Is this just a fob off as a lot of D3s will be being used as Chelsea tractors and the likely
hood of clutch over use while dropping the kids off at school is unlikely and therefore it could be picked up as a
service item and charged to the customer? just a thought Wink

If defective clutches where fitted why can't LR tell me the serial numbers or at least identify them, at least then I could take it to an independent garage as opposed to my local stealer!! and get an honest opinion.

Apparently they're gonna e-mail me with their response which will recommend I have the car checked.

The whole reponse is just inconsistent it's really P***ing me off

I would have thought that the TSB identifys the vehicles effect so changing the clutch would be a no quible action?

Or is that what would be called good customer care???????????????

Post #17933918th Jul 2007 11:49 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I thought it was a case that every single clutch fitted in that vin range is a potential failure. Due to driving style and amount of use, the rate at which they fail varies. At the end of the day, LR messed up in the selection of the clutch to be used in the D3, and didn't choose one that was suitable for the varied use of the vehicle, so if the thing fails within a reasonable timeframe, then it's their fault, and should be expected to replace it with one that's suitable for the advertised use of the vehicle. If you've done 100k miles and it fails, then I wouldn't expect them to pay for a new one though for example.

Someone that does a lot of driving that doesn't involve much clutch slipping is probably unlikely to ever have a problem with the original, but if you do a lot of driving in traffic, slow speed manouvers, some towing, etc, then it's going to wear out quicker.

I would see the TSB as their admission that they didn't fit a suitable clutch to the D3, so even if the dealer tries to claim that the premature wear is due to driver error, I reckon that if you stand your ground, get a printout of the TSB (I can send you the original if you wish), and mention the word solicitor, then I doubt you'll have any problems. This approach has worked for several people so far on this forum when their dealers tried to charge for a new clutch after it failed.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #17936118th Jul 2007 12:54 pm
PaulnhisGirls

Thanks BKehoe

bkehoe wrote:
I thought it was a case that every single clutch fitted in that vin range is a potential failure. Due to driving style and amount of use, the rate at which they fail varies. At the end of the day, LR messed up in the selection of the clutch to be used in the D3, and didn't choose one that was suitable for the varied use of the vehicle, so if the thing fails within a reasonable timeframe, then it's their fault, and should be expected to replace it with one that's suitable for the advertised use of the vehicle. If you've done 100k miles and it fails, then I wouldn't expect them to pay for a new one though for example.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've driven quite a few cars in my time and never needed a clutch, most of these were company cars and all covered 100K+ under my care so why a Landrover should be any different I don't know????

Like you said the TSB points to all clutches within that VIN range having a likelihood of being faulty, I think
that if this is the case Landrover have F**ked up and therefore should Fess up and do the job, using the threat that the customer could have to pay for it on the dealerships say so is not acceptable, but then again I would
say that Wink

maybe it's a problem with the dealerships being unable to recover all the monies from Landrover, I know that landrover have a set cost for works carried out under warranty and will only refund a dealership this amount,
any fitter working on a warranty claim is recovery much less than the dealership would normally get, maybe
it's an agreement that landrover pay for some the rest is recovered at the front desk from the customer under
the excuse of drive caused wear? ( Discuss Wink ) in the word of Ben Elton " Ohhhhh little bit controversial"

Or is it just that admit it and the flood gates are opened???????????????

Post #17940718th Jul 2007 2:45 pm
PaulnhisGirls

Hey All

Just in the official reply:---------
[b]
Further to our earlier telephone conversation, I wanted to take this opportunity to contact you directly to clarify the content of our discussion.

I can confirm that Technical Service Bulletin LTB00018 was issued to the dealer network regarding a possible concern with clutch slip that may occur under slow speed manoeuvres. I assure you that from personal experience, the concern is witnessed within a short timescale of ownership and is evident under normal driving conditions.

It is my understanding that your Discovery has accrued in excess of 32,000 miles and a clutch smell noted on two separate occasions whilst towing. I am comfortable that your vehicle is performing to the manufacturer's specification and that the smell has occurred due to towing extremes and no other reason.

However, if there are any instances of clutch smell under normal driving conditions, I recommend that the vehicle is inspected by a Land Rover dealership with the least amount of delay to investigate the possible cause.

I trust the above is acceptable to you.

Yours sincerely [/b]

Comments please and keep the language clean!

Q) Can anyone tell me what [b]"normal driving conditions"[/b] are for a Landrover???????????????????????

Post #17944718th Jul 2007 4:36 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Might I suggest that you ask your contact at Land Rover to define normal driving? ask them if towing a trailer within the towing limits of the vehicle, on a public road is in or out of normal driving parameters? keep them answering the questions.

Post #17945718th Jul 2007 5:05 pm
PaulnhisGirls

Gareth

Funny you should say that I asked exactly the same question, well two actually

1) define normal driving
2) define extreme towing

his answer

Thank you for your e-mail and I would like to respond as follows:

1) Towing extremes - The Discovery 3 is capable of towing a maximum weight of 3.5 tonnes, however depending on the weight being towed, higher extremes are placed on the clutch and associated components whilst pulling away or increase in gradient.
2) Normal Driving Conditions - Driving through town, parking, pulling away from junctions or traffic lights etc.

I hope this information is sufficient

Post #17946018th Jul 2007 5:07 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I had mine replaced under warranty at about 18000 miles ..it had not gone but the pedal diddn't seam the same as when i first got it .My dealer had no questions ...just changed the lot Thumbs Up
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #17947318th Jul 2007 5:25 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

On the basis of that reply, I would now spend a bit of time noting down the technical details (weights etc) of the load you have towed, and the routes and dates you have towed the load, perhaps also noting any unusual conditions encountered. Then let them know that you have done this.

Having done this, and armed with the mails you have, you have a better chance of winning a small claim decision should it ever come to that.

Post #17949618th Jul 2007 6:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >